1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is AC fan blower motor ready to go? Resistor? Something else?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by RamblinMan, Sep 18, 2017.

1. RamblinMan

RamblinMan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hi all. I've read several threads and they didn't seem to have the same symptoms.
    I have a 2007 Prius and the AC fan has been acting up. Blowing cold, just the speed is screwy.
    Here are some of the symptoms I've encountered:
    The fan blows as it should when first started, but after hours the volume of air decreases gradually. This is not consistent, as it works perfectly, not matter what speed, for many hours at a time, on some days.
    If I put the setting from high to low for a few seconds than back to high or any speed, it works as it should for awhile than slowly decreases.
    The volume of air can temporarily increase when I turn hard left, for example, or hit a speed bump. Again, not always.
    One day, I shut my car off for about fifteen minutes after driving with AC for about 5 hrs. I turned it back on and the blower would not turn on at all. I took the filter out and spun the squirrel cage by hand, forward and backwards, a few times. I turned on the fan and it worked perfectly fine for several hours after that.

Does this sound like it could simply be the fan itself, on its last legs? or maybe something else?

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes thats what the fan does when it begins to fail. Mine did that exact thing. I bought the OEM blower online it was $70 I think.
    I did a write up on installing it...its not to bad but you basically have to lay on your shoulders upside down under the glove box.
    I felt that for a few days.

RamblinMan likes this.
  3. RamblinMan

RamblinMan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks. I did read your Install write up already and bookmarked it several days ago. I figured I was going to need it soon.
    I was worried it might be the controller/resistor thing. Those aren't cheap.
    Its tempting to get a $40 knockoff blower, since the OEMs aren't $70 anymore(seems to be in the $120 range now.)
    And....if its not too bad to replace.....Hmmm....I don't know what I'll decide yet.
    I need this thing to last another 3 weeks or so (fingers crossed). What are my chances? LOL

edthefox5 likes this.
  4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    if selling it soon I would just get an over the counter blower. The oem blower is very high quality as the ac has been on every second the car has been on for 10 years., Last few winters here in Florida I never even put a jacket on.

5. RamblinMan

RamblinMan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Read some reviews of the knockoffs, and there were several people complaining of an annoying sound. For as much as I run the AC fan, I can't have that. Besides, the local prices at Autozone, Oreillys, etc were in the $80+ range.
    Called local Toyota dealer for price. $150+tax!!! :mad:

6. ih8spm

ih8spm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I took mine out and cleaned all the fan blades and it's nice and shinny now. If your going to pull this out and clean it i suggest you use some form of respiratory protection. The amount of carbon built off over the years in this thing was toxic. Additionally, since moisture build up in that area there is the small possibility of mold growth. Sorry no pictures.

SM-G935P ?

7. RamblinMan

RamblinMan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Just a follow up. The struggling motor did last the 3 weeks I needed it to last (well, 2 weeks, 6 days, then it died for good.)

I ended up buying the OEM from Toyota dealer on ebay. $119. Just did the work today. The removal was easier than I thought, thanks to edthefox5's write-up and a couple youtube vids. (one thing to add to the write-up: use a flat head screwdriver to release the locking tab when removing the wire plug from the motor assembly.)

I was a little worried about holding the motor up while starting the mounting screws during re-assembly, but it wasn't bad at all. The hardest part was putting the white plastic cover back on. (I knew it was going to be tough, because taking it out was the hardest part during disassembly) Maneuvering the white plastic cover to line up, at the same time, engaging the tube part on the left was really tricky. So tricky in fact, there was a casualty. One of the screw mounts broke right off. (see pic) Well it looks like the white cover is going to be held with only 4 screws then LOL. Everything else went smoothly and I've got A/C again!!!

broken tab.jpg

8. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Bummer. Too bad I didn't see this sooner. Bookmark Camelback Toyota. They are genuine Toyota dealership in Phoenix, AZ, that happens to sell on line too, like some other Toy dealerships.

2007 Toyota Prius Parts - Camelback Toyota Parts - Genuine OEM Parts - Free Shipping

That part would have been $110.53, no tax, free shipping of most items when order exceeds $150. Stock up on oil filters, and other future maintenance items: water pump, belt, water pump tensioner bearing, inverter pump, etc, to help hit the $150. OR, ask friends who DIY and have a Toyota to order some stuff.