1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is America Ready for Obama?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Feb 14, 2007.

1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    MAUREEN DOWD RIPS OBAMA: 'HE LOOKED AS IF HE NEEDED A SMOKE AND HE NEEDED IT BAD'
    Tue Feb 13 2007 22:32:06 ET
    NY TIMES edit queen Maureen Dowd unloads on Barack Obama in her Wednesday filing.

The real question is Obama ready for America?

He obviously has major issues here especially if Maureen Dowd is critical of the Democratic wunderchild.

Lets see, in the short time since he announced his intentions to run for POTUS he has:

1. claimed that the 3,000+ plus American soldiers who have died in combat in Iraq had "wasted" their lives, and
    2. he dissed one of most steadfast allies - Australia.

There is little doubt in my mind - he would be the Republicans dream candidate whether he be the Democratic presidential or vice-presidential candidate.

2. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    After Bush anything with a pulse will do..

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Berman, we ask countless times... POST A LINK!

Now, for a few fact rebuttals:
    Yes, Obama did say that blurb about wasted lives... and the very next day came out and apologized for it. He explained his intentions and explained that the waste wasn't on the part of the soldiers, it was on the part of the leadership. I seem to remember plenty of individuals from both parties that have said statements of that nature or worse and haven't appologized the same way Obama did.

Obama did not "diss" Australia. In fact, it was the other way around. the Australian PM John Howard came out against Obama and his desire to withdraw from Iraq, to which Obama replied that if Australia was so concerned they should send more troops to Iraq. Did you know that this is an Election year in Australia? And did you know that the PM has been condemned for turning a long standing alliance with America into a political marriage with Bush?

Look for all the facts, Berman, instead of just those that fit your narrow point of view.

No one is perfect, and everyone says something that doesn't come out the way they want it to.

4. Mirza

Mirza New Member

I'm not a fan of Australia - even if he did "diss" australia I'd praise him.

5. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Feb 14 2007, 11:18 AM) [snapback]390176[/snapback]</div>
    That doesn't matter. As a potential candidate for President of the US, you cannot float balloons to try to appease your potential voters and then let your adviser notify you the next day that perhaps you should apologize. I don't care if other candidates have mentioned or committed similar gaffes. That doesn't excuse his arrogance or very poor choice of words.

Because of George Bush and the Republicans have lost touch with their core values, the Democrats are currently riding a wave of popularity. Good for them. So why do they push as their front runners for their nomination the likes of Nurse Ratched and a two year, admitted cocaine and marijuana user from Illinois?

Rick
    #4 2006

6. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(viking31 @ Feb 14 2007, 11:43 AM) [snapback]390243[/snapback]</div>
    First, who the heck is Nurse Ratched? Never crossed my ears before... perhaps because, while they may be a candidate, they aren't any where near being a front runner?

Second, you want someone perfect who doesn't say something the wrong way occasionally? Such actions mean you aren't fit to be a presidential candidate? It seems to me that the republicans didn't complain about that for the past 8 years while Bush has been making all his mistakes.

Tell me, have you ever said something and then realized it didn't quite come out like you intended? Everyone has. While presidential candidates should be held higher than everyone else, no one should expect them to speak perfectly every time.

As for the whole drug use thing... would you rather have a candidate that says "Yes, i did them. It was a mistake of youth, and i've learned from such mistakes", or one that tries to draw a line at inhaling? I don't have a single friend that hasn't at least tried an illegal drug at some point. It's natural, why do you condemn him for admitting it?

7. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(viking31 @ Feb 14 2007, 01:43 PM) [snapback]390243[/snapback]</div>
    He didn't apologize the next day. He did it immediately after the speech:
    http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs...D=2007702120332

>>Remark regretted

In an interview following the rally, Obama, who said he has visited with the families of military personnel who have been killed in the war, said he regretted saying the lives had been "wasted."

"I was actually upset with myself when I said that, because I never use that term," he said. "Their sacrifices are never wasted.... What I meant to say was those sacrifices have not been honored by the same attention to strategy, diplomacy and honesty on the part of civilian leadership that would give them a clear mission."<<

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Actually, I likes the way Obama rebutted the Australian PM. The PM said that pulling out of Iraq was a bad idea but supports the American troop surge. Barack simply made it clear that if Australia is such a staunch supporter of the troop surge perhaps they should supply them?

I see nothing wrong with that. Put or shut up is the way I was raised.

9. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I am sorry, you must be young and perhaps somewhat naive regarding the political process (to me it's like a broken record (those were before CD's and iPods FYI). Nurse Ratched, played by the talented Louise Fletcher, was the scold like tyrannical head nurse in the ever so great movie "One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" with Jack Nicholson. Can you figure who I am referring to now???

Perfect??? Hmm, let's see, only two years political experience, admitted cocaine and marijuana user, heavy addicted cigarette smoker (yet another sign of weakness), and yes, does make gaffes in his political speeches. This is a man, who if elected, will have his finger on the proverbial "trigger". He will have great control over our destiny for his four years in office.

And please, save the comparisons to Bush. This is far from any endorsement for Bush. I can't wait till he's gone too.

As stated above, he has far more strikes other than the occasional numbskull statement.

No, I would rather not have a candidate who uses or has used illegal narcotics. Using drugs in youth is not a casual mistake. It is a sign of weakness and the inability to see wrong from right.

Perhaps we have found the reason for our disagreement. My friends, such as myself, have or have had security clearances, families, and/or jobs of which the use of illegal narcotics has no place. While using drugs may be natural with yourself and your circle of friends, that's far from the crowd of which I myself associate.

Rick
    #4 2006 Gas sniffing Prius

10. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(viking31 @ Feb 14 2007, 01:12 PM) [snapback]390315[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, i saw the movie (i even own it)... but when talking politics movies aren't exactly at the top of my mind...

Anyways, you are extremely harsh on the man. He's honest, upstanding, and realizes when he makes a mistake and immediately tries to correct it. You're right, not that type of man we want in the presidency. Much better to have someone who lies to us and covers up his mistakes. At least, thats the way we've voted for the past 16 years.

Contrary to your assumption, neither I nor anyone i know currently does drugs or smoke. I know plenty of people who have worked or are currently working in areas requiring security clearance, and no one i know works for any company that would tolerate illegal drug use. However, it is not at all a sign of weakness to have done something in the past. Have you ever done anything and then decided it wasn't for you? I know people who have gone skiing once and decided it's too dangerous - does it make me an idiot in their eyes for enjoying it? What about racing? i have several friends who keep up cars and take them to the track no a regular basis. Are they idiots for engaging in such a dangerous sport? Everyone has a different view on the world - yours is clearly one of perfection: you do something stupid in your youth and suddenly it's a sign that you have an inability to see right from wrong. Do you mean to tell me that every child who has lied to his parents, or sneaked a snack and then wasn't hungry for dinner can't tell right from wrong?

Rather, I would say a man who made a mistake in his youth, whatever that may be, and publicly admits his mistake clearly can tell the difference between right and wrong. He knows that it was wrong.

But by all means, lets elect another president who can lie to us, pursue a personal agenda, and waste the tax payers money.

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Feb 14 2007, 08:18 AM) [snapback]390176[/snapback]</div>
    Facts? Come on, Eagle, be reasonable: The b-man is allergic to facts. Facts make his eyes bleed. Asking him to deal seriously with facts is cruel and unusual.

As for the topic question, I don't know about America, but I'm ready for Obama. All those lives were wasted. George W Bush has flushed three thousand proud, courageous, infinitely-valuable American lives (not to mention countless Iraqi lives) down the toilet of his own megalomania.

And as for Australia, the New Zealanders say [joke mode on]: "We like Australians. Every dog should have one." [End joke mode] Seriously, I like Australians. I pity them the government they have. But I pity us more for the government we have.

Barak Obama is a breath of fresh air in the political process, and if he runs I'll abandon my favored Green Party and vote for him. In fact, if he runs, I'll be at the next Green Party meeting recommending that we support him for president, and limit ourselves to running candidates for lesser offices. Can Obama win in America? I am a pessimist. I don't believe any honest candidate can win. I hope he proves me wrong.

12. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Feb 14 2007, 02:41 PM) [snapback]390340[/snapback]</div>
    just got done wiping my eyes - laughing to hard at your reply. breath of fresh air - is that before or after obama exhales :lol:

How did he ever get into Harvard? Do yourself a favor, vote Green - they need you and your vote wont be as wasted as it will be if you vote for B. Hussein Obama.

He cant win here, because we are too smart for his smoke and mirrors. He, just like Kerry will keep having to extract his foot from his mouth. God will not intervene here like he did in 1969.

Tell me, those 3.000 Americans who died on 9/11 - who do you blame for that?

13. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OK, let's drop just for a moment into reality and answer the original question. Is Obama ready for America? The answer is unequivocably no. And America is definitely not ready for Obama. Or Hillary. Or Mitt "whats his face".

But let's see it from their point of view. An excellent opportunity to get face time in front of the whole nation. Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Donald Trump, and others occasionally throw their hats in the ring when things are slow. Brilliant strategy for lots of free media exposure.

So when it comes next time for Obama's next election he should win handily in his district. After all, "he did run for President".

Rick
    #4 2006

14. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It's amazing how there are so many people out there who are more than willing to tout their opinion as fact and not listen to the opposition.

By all means, you can think that he's not ready for america or vice versa... you can say people won't fall for the "smoke and mirrors" that exist only in your head. Heck, you can even bring in irrelevant facts to try to support your position.

Bottom line, however, is this: 80-90% of the voters will vote purely based on political party. thats how it's always been, and thats probably how it always will be. The remaining percentage are the truly informed voters - the ones who take the time to do the research on each candidate, take the time to judge the character and standing of each individual and what that person will bring to the office. Those are the voters that matter.

It's clear that you two fall into the first category. You're very quick to dismiss and insult the opposition party. There are others on this board who do the same thing to the Republican candidates. However there are some who are willing to evaluate each candidate on their own basis.

I'll tell you right now: Obama is my current favorite. There's a long time until election, and that may change. I do not want/like Hillary at all. Several of the republican candidates seem very promising, however they have a big barrier to get through - for some it's Bush, for others it's the republican's habit of increasing national spending. Any republican candidate at this point does have to convince me that he wouldn't be following the party line in this case.

15. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Feb 14 2007, 03:41 PM) [snapback]390340[/snapback]</div>
    I, too, appreciate his honesty. It's appealing. Every candidate that will run for office houses imperfections and I'm sick and tired of them covering them up or flat out lying about them. Who cares if the guy smoked pot or used cocaine in the past? What matters is whether or not he's of sound mind now and can make the best decision available for our future well being. That being said, I do wish he has had more experience and more of a voting record for me to track to see if it aligns with my interests.

16. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Feb 14 2007, 12:15 PM) [snapback]390374[/snapback]</div>
    David, that is a hit below the belt even by your own standards.

First, you imply that Senator Obama was admitted to Harvard Law School due to affirmative action and then you revert to the fringe right wing favorite attempt to link the senator to Arabs and Muslims by using his middle name, Hussein, instead of the way that he has been referring to himself for years.

For your information, Barack Obama was elected editor of the Harvard Law Review by his law review peers. No one is chosen to be editor of that publication on account of affirmative action.

Shame on you.

17. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Feb 14 2007, 04:05 PM) [snapback]390418[/snapback]</div>
    NO I DID NOT IMPLY THAT AT ALL. i was wondering because he has put his foot in his mouth twice big time in front of everyone - nothing to due with his religion, skin color, or anything. not a lot of common sense being shown here.

in fact i am ashamed of you for assuming that of me. SHAME ON YOU.

18. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Oh please berman, the implication was clear. the fact that you insist on using Obama's middle name clearly shows your racist attitude towards him. I haven't heard you refer to a single other political candidate on this board by their middle name.

He goes by "Barak Obama", not "B. Hussein Obama". Get it right, and stop giving the impression that you're an ignorant racist.

19. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Feb 14 2007, 04:29 PM) [snapback]390441[/snapback]</div>
    The only implication that might be clear to you is due to your preformed bias against me. His middle name is going to be a problem for him - if you think not - you are not being honest with yourself.

The implication here is that you are an anti-Semite because of your hate for me - you must hate all Jews - its clear to every one here.

For the record - not that it is important to you - I could not give a FF if he was black white red green blue Jew Catholic Muslim - the fact is he is unqualified and he behaves as such.

20. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I am sorry if you think I am authoritative enough to convince the majority of people my opinions are fact. To be clear, they are only opinions.

Maybe we get our news from vastly different sources, but most every news item I read usually stresses or at least eludes to the fact he is a political novice and is perhaps is not electable to the office of the President of the United States.

Let's go over the "smoke and mirrors": An admitted user of cocaine and note crack is a form of cocaine (this is the mirror with the lines on it), a user of marijuana (this is the smoke), no military service, only two years political experience, and tell me when he retracted the "wasted" soldiers remark, was that before or after he said wasted before he made the speech afterwards??? These are facts and yes, they are very relevant. Yep, that's the guy I want leading our country....

I assume you are inferring to me.

And that, of course, is you and most likely anyone who thinks like you. Research Obama?? Research what? Hmm, his two years of experience will fill volumes... This might take awhile.

In agreement there...

I think (at least hope) the Republicans will come back to their core values of less spending, less taxes, less government involvement with my affairs.

My prediction is Newt will be the sleeper Republican candidate for 2008.

Rick
    #4 2006