1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is any part of a Gen 3 level when the car is "level" ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ChapmanF, Oct 20, 2016.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A bunch of maintenance tasks, from headlight aiming to yaw sensor calibration to transaxle fluid checking, etc., depend on the car being "level".

For those of us who don't have convenient paved areas with no slope, from the repair manual wheel alignment "measure vehicle height" procedure, it can be inferred that "level" is when the center of the rear axle beam bushing bolt is 82 mm higher than the center of the front no. 1 lower suspension arm bushing bolt. (Again, this assumes the pavement is level, but could be checked with a water level in any case.)

But checking that would involve slithering around with a water level, and I'm not even sure you can see the front suspension arm bolt without pulling off the engine under covers....

So, I'm wondering, has anybody been through this exercise and found that any flat surface in or on the car actually turns out to be level when the car is "level" according to the alignment height spec?

If so, that would mean you could just drop an ordinary level on that surface and save some hassle.

I thought maybe the door sills would, but that didn't seem to be the case. The rear floorboard over the aux battery seemed like it might be a contender. Still, I'm wondering what anyone else has found.

-Chap

2. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The ground under the car needs to be level, not the car.

Bill the Engineer

priusmagic likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For transaxle fluid change I put a level on the pinch weld at bottom of rocker panel. It's not that critical though. For the other direction I'd figure if your slab is laterally level, and your jackstands have the same extension, and they're on sim points at both sides, you're pretty close. Check with a level on underside of rear suspension cross beam?

priusmagic likes this.
  4. BruceInOKC

BruceInOKC Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does the rocker panel mean the same thing as the door sill? That's what I put the level on.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Rocker panel is that mass, beteeen the door sill and the underside. I'm clueless as to the terms origin, should google. :oops:

6. Wolfman33

Wolfman33 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    It's a good question. My driveway isn't level, so should I set the rear jack stands one inch higher than the front or two, or maybe three? Since I don't know, where can I measure on the car to see if I got it level?

I don't have 4 matching stands. I have two pairs, one smaller and one larger. So in the past I set the stands in the driveway and laid a 2x4 across them and measured the level of the 2x4. But it was an assumption that i got the car the same. Its a good idea to gind a known level spot in the car to check from. I'm interested in the answer.