1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is anybody else having trouble selling a Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Guerrilla Garage, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Guerrilla Garage

Guerrilla Garage New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We took delivery of our 2010 Prius on June 30 and I spent a few days vacuuming, washing and waxing our 2006 and listed it for sale. We put it on Craig’s List and in the local paper and even parked it out at the end of the street on a busy secondary road with a “For Sale†sign. It’s also listed on here in the classifieds. In those last 2 months 4 people have looked at it seriously. One guy ended up buying a 2010 because he could get “Cash for Clunkers†money. Another guy liked it but his wife wanted a bigger car. There was a woman who said she wanted it but never came back and finally a college kid who offered me $11k for it. So what am I doing wrong? I’ve got it priced half way between wholesale and retail and i don't know if that might be too high or too low. The car needs nothing, it’s got a clean Carfax and there is no damage aside from a couple of door dings and a small scratch on the front bumper cover. Any advice would be appreciated. thanks, Steve

2. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have mine listed for 9K and its mint but no bites

3. drmalone

drmalone New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I listed my 2006 on Craigs list for $9200. It had over 118,000 but was in great shape. It sold within 24hrs (for 9K). By the way, the dealership only offered me $5500 trade-in.

4. Guerrilla Garage

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The NADA says the average trade in on a 2006 even with 118k on it should be $10,800 and it should retail for $14,500. My car's got 71k on it with that milage NADA put retail on my car at $15,600, Iv'e got it listed for $14,500. -Steve

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You are asking too much. Anything of value will sell if it is priced low enough. The question is whether you are willing to sell it for a lower amount. This sort of situation often happens when prices rapidly adjust downward: sellers still expect the old price, while buyers expect a deal.

Tom

6. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree with Tom - it is all about price. I have never put much stock into bluebook prices - comparing the them to what is actually on the market never seems to add up. Have you actually researched what similar cars are listed for in your area?

7. Guerrilla Garage

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Aren't Toyotas suppose to have excellent resale values? Why would you sell a car for less than book? -Steve

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You would sell a car for less than book when the book is wrong. Book values are only that: book values. The amount printed in a book in no way dictates what a buyer is willing to pay - it is only a guide based on previous activity and best guesses. If Prius were selling for book value in your area, we wouldn't be having this conversation, would we?

Tom

9. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    People looking for a car in that price range want to buy it from a dealer. They want to be able to test drive it, most people need financing and they want somekind of warranty. Selling a car yourself at that price range is very tough. The only answer is you got to sell it cheap. Sorry and if you want a real downer look at what kellys blue book says the price should be.

10. johnjamis

johnjamis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Its the price. Wait til next year when gas prices go up again and you will get more for it. Cash for clunkers has devalued all used cars for now.

11. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Dealerships get book because of the warranty with the car, because they are an established business with less inherent risk than dealing with an individual, they can offer financing, among other reasons.

Car dealers use the NADA because it generally has higher prices than other pricing sources , I use Edmunds New Cars, Used Cars, Car Reviews and Pricing - Edmunds.com when buying, generally car prices are lower in that source. I estimated your numbers for Edmunds and for private party, halfway between retail and wholesale, I got 13.8k.

The economy is slow, cash for clunkers drew in a lot of buyers, it may just take awhile.

12. drmalone

drmalone New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm sure if I had more time I could've gotten more for the car. I only had 2 weeks to sell it, or take the $5500 trade offer. I was very surprised at what the dealership offered because I had looked at what the trade "should" be. The dealership could care less what the Blue Book value was, they had several used Prius' sitting on the lot.
    I was happy with the sale, and the buyer was ecstatic. He never thought he would be able to own a prius.
    I do hope your car sells soon!

13. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree. The one time I sold a car it didn't get any bites until I dropped the price, and then the offers came in even lower.

14. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Put the classified ad in the paper of your other closest major cities. For example I live in a small town outside of Akron, OH. If I had no bites with the Akron newspaper I would list it in Cleveland or Columbus as well. Be sure to make yourself available for all serious inquiries.

15. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think C4C might have had an impact because people needed to buy new cars to take advantage of the program. However, now it's over, you might start getting some bites. How much you can get for
    it also depends on your area and how plentiful similar cars are.

My 2006 with under 29,500 miles was appraised by Carmax for $15K in July. My dealer had agreed to give me the Carmax value when I bought the 2010 10 days later, and they finally did, although not after trying to renege on the deal.

Consumer Reports, in spite of its strong favorable rating for the Prius, valued the 2006 at only $12,940 - $14,800.

16. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    By the way, my dealer gave me $15,000 for the trade-in after a big struggle and a week later they had it on their used car lot and asking $18,788 for it. I have no idea what they actually got for it, but mr.scott told me about someone who bought a 2006 for $19K!

17. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    OP,

Find out what local dealers would pay you for your car. You should be able to get at least $1000 more than that by selling private. Be forewarned, you are not going to like the news.

18. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you can get to a Carmax, take it there and see what they will give you for it. I've actually sold a couple of cars to Carmax because they tend to give better prices than dealers will give you, and there's no hassle at all.

19. Guerrilla Garage

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well if one chooses not to believe the NADA book I can't argue with that. Good luck though when you go to buy a car, you will suddenly learn that the dealers change their tune and "book price" is sacred if not too low. Personally I choose to believe it. Edmunds, Kelly and the rest of them all tend to be within $500 of each other so you can take your pick. If one is willing to sell a car for under wholesale I agree you should have no problem unloading it in any market. If a dealer gives you lowball offer for your trade in and you take it that means they probably just made the diffrence between that and the wholesale price. Frankly I don't trust what the dealers say at all, I guess I know too many guys in the business. I've just checked all the newspapers and Cars.com for most of the cities in Upstate, NY and I've got the cheapest comparable 2006 Prius out there by $500, the average is about $1,500 more. I guess the real thing I'm starting to wonder is, execpt for people who are just unloading cars, if Prius' (and maybe used cars in general) in the $10-$20k range are not selling at all in this market? -Steve

20. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You have the wrong concept about the book values.
    Retail means means dealer asking price considered with some sort of warranty, 30days or 1000 miles.
    Certified used car will have 1 year or 12K miles warranty.
    This is why they ask for more money. Notice the work ASK, it doesn't mean you have to paid this price.
    Private party means the highest price you can ask.
    Trade in means the max price the dealer will give you, but usually they will give you $2K lower and hence the low trade in. the exception is only when the used car is in high demand. The Prius is in high demand in May 08 when gas is over $4, you can get a trade value as much a new Prius. But this is over.

The reasonable asking price for a quick sale is to ask the middle between trade in and private and no more than $1K above trade in.
    Then expecting to sell at about $500 above trade.
    From Edmunds, your car is valued at $12.3K trade and $13.5K
    private due to high mileage for a 3 year old car. I will list it at $12.8K.

Good luck.