1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is anyone else annoyed of getting the JBL stereo?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by javilesi, Mar 10, 2011.

1. javilesi

javilesi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok, so I bought my 2010 Prius v3, the one with the JBL 6 cd and bluetooth. Nice! Two weeks later, it occurs to me, why not get an aftermarket in dash nav system? This way, I don't have to deal with my Garmin with Traffic radar on the dash moving all over the place or on the windshield with the cable hanging from it. Also, look for better ipod compatibility, the JBL does not support ipod directly, only through the aux in (sloppy).

So, I discover there are essentially 2 brands that look like OEM: Rosen and Flyaudio. Neither have traffic radar (at least, not I have figured out) and worse yet neither support the steering wheel controls for bluetooth (voice command, hang up, and pick up).

Then I considered forgoing the OEM look for a system that does support traffic, like the upper end Kenwoods, but again do not support the Bluetooth controls.

Anyone out there that has been able to use the bluetooth controls with an aftermarket, please chime in! It will be deeply appreciated.

Thank you

2. LovingLife

LovingLife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I got annoyed with the JBL system and it's IPod integration so I swapped mine out for a Sony XVN-770BT. The JBL system sounds much better now than it was before IMO.

If your asking whether you can retain your Prius Bluetooth with an after market HU (Pioneer, Sony, Kenwood, JVC, Alpine) the answer is No. A few folks in the forum have tried and failed. Search for it.

That being said you can use the Bluetooth supplied with the aftermarket HU and hook that up to your steering wheel controls. Answer and Hang Up I'm pretty sure works for everyone. Not sure about the voice button. I think that works for one of the Pioneer decks. I don't have voice dial on my phone so I don't know if it would work on the Sony deck.

You'll have to use the mic that came with your HU as the mic installed in the car is powered by the JBL Amp. I remember reading where someone tried to tie it into there aftermarket HU but it sounded strange.

3. shawnb2

shawnb2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not sure as to what Bluetooth controls you are looking for as opposed to steering wheel controls. I was one of the early buyers of these cars and made the mistake of trying to get all of my aftermarket stereo stuff to work using the factory NAV HU. Spent way too much money trying to make it work. Surprisingly enough, have even had a couple people PM me saying that my findings were enough to get them to buy a II and upgrade the radio themselves. None the less, as soon as the new Kenwood DNX-9980 comes out it is going to be the savior. Garmin GPS, Parrot Bluetooth just to name a couple of things. I have heard nothing but complaints about the Rosen. It does alot but none of it well. Just don't think there will be a better NAV/HU out that comes anywhere near the functionality of the Kenwood units. Pioneer has alot of the same features but they are poorly executed. Hope this helps. Been doing this research for almost a year trying to decide what to do. Tired of having a single DIN Alpine in my center console for my audio needs. Good luck in everything.

1 person likes this.
  4. BhamPrius

BhamPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have the Kenwood DNX6960 and it supports Bluetooth and the controls on the steering wheel (just needs the SWI-jack). The Garmin is top-notch. I'm very impressed w/the unit. I even have an extra iPod cable (I ran mine to the center console) that I'll sell you on the cheap if you're interested and end up getting a Kenwood.
    Cheers!

5. Hokeysmoke

Hokeysmoke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I use the factory HU and put my iPhone on a ProClip mount for GPS, MP3, and internet streaming. I think it works great.

6. javilesi

javilesi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The SWI-Jack will make functional the "voice command," "hang up," and "pick up" buttons on the steering wheel with your Kenwood? If so, I would imagine that it would also work with the DNX9960. That sounds sweet!

I went with a pro installer, and it seems that one of these PAC controllers also works, but the brand discussed was Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT, not yet released.

What are your thoughts on this one!

Thanks!