1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is anyone else dissapointed in the MFD?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by sl7vk, Jan 12, 2009.

1. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So I like the MFD, and I'm kind of pissed it is being moved into a ghetto version.... All small and green and Casio watch looking.....
    What really ticks me off is the lack of a backup camera now on the non-Nav models.... This is a major step in the wrong direction when it comes to safety and functionality.
    The only way this makes sense to me is if there are signifcant enough savings that the MSRP is a lot less expensive, but I somehow doubt that will be the case.
    Am I the only one that is a bit irked?

2. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am too, but I have been Pier Pressured to not to reiterate the details (rain on people's parade) again.

3. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a base package 2007. No SKS, no backup camera. I find I can drive just fine, I just have to move my head. :) Perhaps if I had one, I'd have a different POV, but I seem to do just fine.

4. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    HI Rxmxsh,

There no longer is a large color touchscreen MFD. There is a monochrome MFD (no touch screen apparently) that looks to be about 1 1/2 high, in the center of the upper cluster. This includes the HSD functional display.

Radio and Climate controls are now similar to a Corolla, or other traditional car.

The large color display you see in some of the pictures is installed with the GPS option only. When you do not order GPS you get the manual old-fashioned climate control cluster instead. This looks to be a way to get people to fork over $5K for a $1500 GPS/Bluetooth system, like in the old car.

At least that is how it looks to me.

5. Gilbert

Gilbert Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    the screen is NOT TOUCH SCREEN like the previous?!!??!?!?!?!?!

6. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    To my understanding, the color screen is touch. The Lexus HS250h does not have a touch screen.

7. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am not familiar with a touch screen electro-luminescent panel, and besides its ALLL whay up there just under the windshield. One would need to be an oragatang to reach it.

The touch screen appears to only be installed with GPS/Bluetooth. There are pictures that were on here that showed a old-fashioned manual button radio in place of that GPS/Bluetooth screen on one car. Here is a link with the radio: http://priuschat.com/forums/members...ial-toyota-photos-picture943-49-10-prius.html

here is the link with the GPS/Bluetooth: http://priuschat.com/forums/members...ial-toyota-photos-picture949-43-10-prius.html

Here is a link to a page of pictures showing the monochrome MFD : http://priuschat.com/forums/album.php?albumid=193&page=3

This means that all the hidden screens on the MFD wont be there anymore. And will only be available on the special tool at the stealership too.

8. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    All of this is true and huge ergonomic step forward to me. What are these "hidden screens you mention and what do they do."

The only thing I use the touchscreen for on my Prius is to control the HVAC, radio, and the consumption screen.

9. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If the 2010 factory nav functions are inhibited while the car is in motion, like they are now, I don't want it. And even less so if they didn't improve the database search function being based around regions and so spelling- sensitive and difficult to operate.

Thus, I'm glad they moved the energy and consumption info. to the dash instrumentation. A stand-alone radio unit is fine, and I'll buy a far superior Garmin, that doesn't need expensive disks to update, and is intuitive and functional at all times.

Energy and Consumption won't be as fun to watch, in just monochrome.

Personally, I'm quite happy with my current 60 MPG Prius.

I just want to know if the new 2010 will "glide" as nicely and easily as my current 2007

10. Whiteyprius

Whiteyprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Where's "my" Prius!?!

I'll have plenty to say later, but I'm on lunch break right now. The 2010 has caused me to lose my appetite though. I'm plum heart-sick. What has Toyota done to "my" Prius!?! :eek: I'll have to rant later - but as for me and my house, I'll keep my 2008, thank you very much.:cool:

11. techman01

techman01 New Member

navigation 3-d for 2010 or are we still in 2-d mode?

12. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Actually the multifunction display, as emphasized by Consumer Reports, was the No. 1 or 2 annoyance and stupidity/dorkiness of the previous (second) generation Prius, and I'm glad that they have finally got rid of it. One doesn't have to go through a complicated screen for doing simple tasks or turn off the navigation to watch the MPG figure.

Nowadays the backup camera is standard on the navigation/entertainment systems of new cars; so, there is no surprise that it comes with the navigation in the new Prius.

As for the new navigation system itself in the third-generation model, it's apparently not only 2D but also pretty cheap, which is a disappointment. Although, this is understandable because they want to keep the MSRP under control. One nice thing is the availability of satellite-based gridlock information on the navigation in the new model.

13. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hey, dorky is as dorky does. The lack of buttons made for an uncluttered, elegant solution to the burgeoning dashboard systems interface. Yeah, sure the GUI could use some refinement and maybe it will never get there without voice assist or multitouch, but wasn't that the point of the prius, to be be a tech leader, not just in the drive train. The SKS was a winner, the MFD so-so, but the current interior looks like they've given in and made the prius a mainstream lexus wannabe.

But that's just me.

14. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Well, I just thought that a huge display that constantly shows the hybrid system was redundant and it's great that they moved it to a concise dash display, which should have been that way from the beginning. Also, you shouldn't sacrifice the system monitoring when (that is at all times) you use the navigation. A similar system in BMW known as iDrive also drives complaints. I'm all for as-high-as-possible tech myself, but things also need to be logical.

15. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    the new MFD is a touch screen, and it is cool. we touched it tonight. the nav disk is inserted behind the screen, a motor slides it open to insert. better resolution.

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The backup camera video quality on the navigation touch screen is better than my 2006.

17. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
  18. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Seems clear to me that you don't drive a Prius.

The Energy guide is critical to getting the most out of your mileage, and now it's going to look like a 1982 Casio calculator watch. Yuck.

Back up camera is a huge plus on a car that makes NO noise when backing up unlike the cars you've mentioned. I remember when I bought mine, they simply didn't offer one without the backup screen in my market because of "safety" reasons.... So much for that.

Sorry, but I'm not willing to go from a backup screen to without.... Especially in an "upgrade."

19. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Certainly not on that postage stamp size screen.

I don't like the MPH not being in front of me but out to the side:eek:

20. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While it is monochrome, the display on the dash offers significantly more information about your driving and more instantaneous feedback than the 2G Energy and/or consumption display. If that's your concern then let them be assuaged. If your concern is a pretty LCD display, then yes, you'll need to ante up for the NAV...which is SWEET.