1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is anyone else having delays getting the federal tax credit?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Gokhan, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have filed my tax return electronically over two months ago, and it still shows as being processed and I am waiting for my refund. I am guessing the delay is because I asked for the plug-in vehicle tax credit for my 2020 Prius Prime.

Is anyone else having this issue? Waiting for months to get a tax refund is a problem.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Anything getting manual processing or manual review is seriously delayed by the coronvirus, as most of those workers were sent home to avoid spreading it.

A friend who filed her paper return in late March, expecting a refund, is hosed for an extended period. All those paper returns were stacked in truck trailers in the facility parking lots until the workers were allowed back to work. The backlog must be enormous.

While electronic filings could be processed faster -- mine was accepted in minutes, though I was paying instead of getting a refund -- I wouldn't be surprised if they are doing manual reviews of these very large credits.

3. mistermojorizin

mistermojorizin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No delays here, filed in early Feb 2020, got tax rebate 2 weeks later. I always try to file my taxes asap because someone else could file your return and get your rebate. Especially this year, because I only got $4800 back in other rebates for my Prime and was really looking forward to the additional $4000 federal.

I wouldn't be surprised if they look more carefully at the electric car credit because there's a ton of fraud with people claiming vehicles they don't own. Hope it's not a red flag for audits. Lots of People and Automakers Have Cheated EV Tax Credit, Feds Say.

GSK likes this.
  4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The global pandemic is a problem.
    Waiting for your tax refund is just a minor inconvenience. :)

Yes, it has been months since I filed mine......and there were no special circumstances with it.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The IRS office evacuation order was issued March 27.

6. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    IRS approved my refund today, and they will deposit it with 1.0% interest three days later! That's ten weeks after I electronically filed my return.

pghyndman likes this.
  7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Said friend found today that her return is now shown on an IRS status website as "Received" and being processed. If they decide that it is accurate and complete, then her refund should be issued within 21 days.

A money column is Sunday's local paper indicates that at mid-May, the IRS had backlog of 10 million pieces of unopened mail, due to a combination of coronavirus office closures, and some of its attention being diverted to sending out 159+ million relief payments.

8. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    And the IRS workers have to go into the office. They can't work from home since they don't know how to take a deduction for a home office.

Mike

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For taxpayer security reasons, I do wonder how much of that stuff they would be allowed to do from home.

#9 fuzzy1, Jul 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  10. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    a) workers furloughed due to the virus
    b) extra scrutiny due to fraud claiming the electric car credit
    c) IRS too time off tax work to send out the stimulus checks