1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is anyone worried about using a reciever hitch with bike rack on their 2010 prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Jfairch, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Jfairch

Jfairch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm a very new owner (just 4 days) of a generation III prius. Contacted the Toyota #800 number today to ask why there is no information in the owner's manual regarding the use of a receiver hitch and bike rack. Reply indicated that the car was not designed to accomodate these attachments because of the aerodynamic aspect of the vehicle resulting in a decrease in the fuel efficiency of the car. As I understand it, these modifications do not really void the warranty per se; but, then again, could, should a problem arise that is the fault of using a hitch/bike rack. OK, perhaps I'm not making too much sense here, but, has anyone else tried modifiying their vehicle with a bike rack and/or hitch?

2. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I see lots of Prii with both bike racks and hitches. While they are correct that they it would affect the aero on the car (it would also do that on ANY car), I have to admit, that I have not seen that in other car manuals either.

That said, I think that you are worrying too much, and should not have any issue installing any removable rack.

3. r_egan

r_egan Junior Member

I have a hitch on my Prius and use a Saris Thelma 3 (3 bicycle rack) and have no problems. I wouldn't worry about it.

4. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They tell you that because a hitch encourages people to tow, which the Prius is not designed to do. Toyota is just saving their own nice person by being over-cautious. The hitch is bolted to the frame and is very sturdy. It's not like the bike rack is on permanently anyway. The weight of the hitch and its affect on aerodynamics are for me, not worth thinking about. The fact that you're out biking is doing far more good for your heart than the little bit of extra gas it takes to overcome the weight and turbulence.

Do it!