1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is buying a Prius used as a fleet vehicle a good idea?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by BHQuicksilver, Jul 8, 2015.

1. BHQuicksilver

BHQuicksilver New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A PAL dealer has a 2013 Prius Two, not II because it is not a 2010, for sale at $14,750 out the door. It has 61,000 miles on it, as it was used as a loaner car for their service shop. They bought it a year ago when it had 40,000 on it. They are letting me drive it around for the day and I really like it, but I'm incredibly concerned about buying a car that has been used as a loaner.

What do you think? I am planning on getting it checked by the Toyota dealership in town. Are there other things to look out for? If it gets a clean bill of health from toyota, should I still worry that it might have problems that just haven't shown up yet?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! a loaner car is probably more abused than a one owner car. i don't necessarily think that disqualifies it though. i do think you should get a very sweet deal on it in comparison though. all the best!(y)

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You'd be under hybrid warranty until 100,000 miles and 8-yrs so it's not like you're buying a taxi with 200k and no warranty life left. We've had some used Prius Plug-ins going for about that price at 75-80000 miles on the odometer, so price is in the ballpark.

4. Priusguy78213

Priusguy78213 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've just had my 2013 Prius Two, not II because it is not a 2010, for about a month now. Also a fleet vehicle. It was actually a Hertz rental car. And yes, I was hesitant. But of course I had it thoroughly checked out from front to back. All they could find at Toyota was some routine maintenance that was overlooked. Cabin filter air filter wheel alignment, And they did a brake system flush. Nothing out of the ordinary for a vehicle with 58,000 miles on it. I got mine for $12,900. And after my 10 year old trade-in, tax title and license out the door came to $10,800. So I wouldn't be afraid of fleet purchases. just like with ANY car though, have it checked out beforehand, ask lots of questions. I'd like the guys said in previous Comment, you'd still be under the warranty. I think if it checks out good at Toyota, go for it. They'll put it on the machine, check for codes, check the brakes and all the basic systems. My dealership did that for $65. Well worth it.

And it wouldn't hurt to go online with the VIN. I don't have the website address handy, but there is a site for Toyota where you can punch you in your VIN number and it will show any outstanding recalls or other problems. I did that as well as got a CARFAX. Of course it won't tell you everything so its always good to also have it checked out.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe the most concerning thing is the statement "They Bought It A Year Ago at 40,000".

Why are they giving up on it in a year?
    What was the ownership situation for the first 40,000 miles?

Might be a palatable deal, but yes, I'd definitely want a good independent check of the vehicle before I wrote a check for the vehicle.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V