1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is buying a USED 07 Prius risky?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by carolbrady, Aug 22, 2007.

1. carolbrady

carolbrady New Member

Would you buy a used 2007 Prius under 5000 miles, through private party if it was the package you wanted??? All maintenence done on time, just waxed with no scratches. Purchased new, 1 owner.

I have no problem buying used but for some reason afraid because it's a hybrid. Sounds silly, I know. I guess I am just paranoid because why would anyone get rid of this awesome car! :)

I never bought used before. Do I need to have a Toyota dealer check it out before purchase?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    An '07 with that few miles if it's had appropriate depreciation taken off since it's used would be a lucky find and I'd snap it up in a second. There's no reason the fact that it's a hybrid should bother you in the slightest.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That sounds like a good buy. I'd trust that better than any other used car.

4. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This forum's index alone has (as of this posting) 435 pages of topics. I dare you to read them all before your Prius arrives. You'll be either the most knowledgable new car owner on the planet, or the most confused. :p

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The car still has the factory warranty right? I'd snatch it up over a new one for sure. If the price is appropriate of course.

6. mynew06

mynew06 New Member

Do you know the reason why they're getting rid of a brand new car this early?

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I would.
    I bought a 2004 used Prius with 61,000km on it for about the price of a brand new Corolla.
    It's a Toyota, that mitigates risk.

8. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I *think* the extended warranty is only able to be purchased by the original owner. If you're interested in that, have the seller purchase the warranty through this site (to get the best price) and then it can be transferred to your name once it's in place. You'd pay the cost for it over and above the car, of course, but many people feel more secure about the car with the extended warranty. You can get 7 years/100,000 miles for $990, or 6 years/100,000 miles for $875. If you don't drive much, you can also get 7/75,000 or 6/75,000 but I don't know the pricing.

Go for it!!! It's a great car! The original owner probably didn't like something about it (seats? ride? leg room?) and decided to cut his losses early.

9. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(carolbrady @ Aug 22 2007, 01:37 PM) [snapback]500477[/snapback]</div>
    Oh NO! Worst thing you could possibly do!!!!! ;)

What, with < 5,000 miles you're you're guaranteed that they haven't missed any maintenance even.

Don't risk it! Buy new!

P. S. Would you mind letting me know who's selling it so that I can snap it up?

10. carolbrady

carolbrady New Member

It's not the color I wanted - It's black and I already have a black car so I was hoping for a different color. But since money is a factor, guess I can't complain.

Anyways, now I am having trouble figuring out the used value for an 07 Prius! KBB isn't updated w/ any info.

Thanks for all the replies!!

11. alg

alg Junior Member

The price savings would have to be significant. There are deals to be had on a new one plus you add the tax credit (seem to recall it's roughly $780). To me, the security of knowing it's brand new is worth a couple of thousand. Really have to ask why is he/she selling and make sure you have it inspected.

12. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Aug 22 2007, 02:54 PM) [snapback]500489[/snapback]</div>
    that is what I'm saying. It wouldnt hurt to still do a carfax on the vin to make sure it hasn't been wrecked.
    Oh under 5000 miles also means that it hasn't had any scheduled maintenance as it is on 5000 mile intervals.

I looked up an '06 model w/ 5000 miles on www.nada.com and retail value is $23,000 while trade in value was just over $20,000.

13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Just one sad note to add to this party. A person just reported in Yahoo group that the Prius s/he bought used (private party) had been been crashed and repaired. The seller gave a VIN for carfax check, but it was the incorrect VIN. Fraudulent, by all appearances.

Please get independent confirmation of the VIN of your target vehicle, and run a carfax check on that.

14. alg

alg Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Aug 22 2007, 09:16 PM) [snapback]500750[/snapback]</div>

You can't rely on Carfax. What if the accident was never reported and handled outside of insurance companies.

15. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(alg @ Aug 22 2007, 08:15 PM) [snapback]500783[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you alg! You beat me to it. CarFax Reports are completely useless and the biggest scam around.

Even if a car is involved in an accident and the repairs are handled through insurance, it is seldom reported in public DMV records. It is the car owners responsibility to report the damage to the DMV. I don't think the insurance company cares to report it, they have their own database that is more accurate than DMV records. I don't know about you, but for me, with all the things to take care of after an accident, I don't always remember to run down to the DMV and fill out the report. Excuse me, I thing the police are at the door - not.

CarFax Reports are only good if someone has told you a car has been totaled or salvaged, and you want to be sure they are not lying to you and trying to pass of a non-salvaged car as salvaged. Oh, and I guess there is the placebo effect too, but that doesn't work for me.

Anyone wanting a CarFax Report can send me $10 and I will provide a LarryBS report that is just as valuable.

If you can get a friend or your agent in the insurance industry to check the Clue Report, that would be more valuable to you.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(carolbrady @ Aug 22 2007, 11:37 AM) [snapback]500477[/snapback]</div>
    Don't buy it unless it is heavily discounted say 10 percent. For one thing, you said it is the package you want, but then later you said it is not the color you want. Color is one of the most important parts of the package. If it is the wrong color, then it is the wrong package too.

Second, if you are getting a loan to buy the car, you will pay a higher interest rate. That adds directly to what you are paying for the car. The 2008 models are coming. Be the first kid on your block to get one of those, and get on a list or use the services of an auto broker to get the exact color and package you want.

16. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have the car checked by a company that checks cars pre-sale. They are trained to spot accident repairs. It isn't expensive.

17. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(alg @ Aug 22 2007, 11:15 PM) [snapback]500783[/snapback]</div>
    You are correct to an extent but many of the parts a body shop has to order requires a VIN.

18. carolbrady

carolbrady New Member

Just an update - I ended up passing on it. Turns out it was 1 package under what I really truly wanted, then the color wasn't my first choice. Then the stuff about the accidents. UGH! Scary stuff. I also didn't realize the higher interest rate. I guess the excitement of getting my hands on one got the better of me but then I had a feeling I was rushing.

I think I am just going to order an 08 w/ exactly what I want and then have peace of mind knowing it has never been in an accident. It may take awhile but hopefully my patience will pay off.

Thx for all the replies! It helped put things in perspectcive. I learned alot.

19. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(carolbrady @ Aug 23 2007, 08:01 AM) [snapback]500940[/snapback]</div>
    So, do you want to share the specs and location of the car for others not as concerned about it...What was the sale price for which package? Is there an ad or a phone #?