1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is circumcision "a bizarre American custom"?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jared2, Jun 15, 2006.

1. jared2

jared2 New Member

2. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Jun 15 2006, 10:28 AM) [snapback]271610[/snapback]</div> As with other "customs" that can be found anywhere in this world and not just America, it is derrived from religious practices. Is it bizarre - only if you think it is.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't use the word 'bizarre' or call it an "American" custom. But it certainly has been shown that it's basicly just a cosmetic surgery of no medical import. There are some serious weirdos that get involved in the circumcision debate...those bitter at their parents for allowing them to be mutilated, those that have had a foreskin 'recreated' to correct the circumcision.

The arguements for the health benefits are mostly mute at this point. There is still some increased risk of UTI and STDs, but it's hardly enough to be significant.

4. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

:rolleyes:

Yeah, OK, idiot... Pretty much anything can cause long-term physical and psychological harm...

I suppose the 90% of the male population that's circumsized are at oh-so high risk... :rolleyes:

It's also a matter of hygiene...

5. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    It's odd that it's customary in America.

When groups do it for "religious" reasons, well that doesn't seem so odd; religious types do all sorts of weird things, and chopping bits of anatomy off as some sort of sacrifice - well whatever floats your boat. (But why inflict it on an infant that hasn't had any choice in the matter?)

But it seems very odd to do something so drastic just by force of habit. That article says that the rate has at least dropped from 90% to 60% in the US. I can't get any decent figures for the current rate of infant circumcision in the UK - I've seen online sources quoting figures from 5% to 20%. I suspect a large number of those are for religious reasons.

6. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 15 2006, 10:48 AM) [snapback]271617[/snapback]</div>
    The person who started this thread has a real, excuse the pun, erection for this country. Sometimes I question why he moved here - although I am sure given the nature of every one of his threads about this country being negative, he does too.

Trust me, there are tons of, excuse the pun again, pricks around this globe, and they are not all limited to this great country.

Now if he wants to get a bit smart about this and leave his hatred for this country behind him for a few seconds, he can start a thread on female circumcision B)

7. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All I have to say is watch Penn and Teller: Bullshit! Season 3 episode 1 titled Circumcision. Circumcision is wrong and not needed.

On a side note Penn and Teller: Bullshit! is a great show and I highly recommend every one watch all the episodes. It has every thing you ever wanted in a TV show. Magic, Nudity, Profanity, Comedy, Drama, Action, ect...

Here is a link to the topics they cover.

http://epguides.com/PennandTellerBullshit/

8. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO @ Jun 15 2006, 11:13 AM) [snapback]271628[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. And speaking of abusing babies, I just read an article about the hazards of not breastfeeding.
    See link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/13/health/1...&pagewanted=all

9. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Jun 15 2006, 11:20 AM) [snapback]271635[/snapback]</div>
    Do you think the government should regulate circumcision and breast feeding?

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO @ Jun 15 2006, 10:13 AM) [snapback]271628[/snapback]</div>

I'm guessing that the huge majority of the reason for the recent decline in circumcision rates in the US is due to the fact that Medicaid stopped paying for them.

My wife insists (as do all the other pediatricians) on cash up front to do circs unless it's covered by the patient's insurance. At $700 it's a bit out of the range of the average Medicaid patient.

I saw the Penn & Teller episode. Although I agree with their point of view the majority of the time and don't mind the fact that they are completely biased in the way they present the info I thought the circumcision episode was particularly one sided. My wife did the circs on both of our boys and they both slept through the proceedure and were much more upset about being strapped down than anything else.

In the 'old days' no anesthetic was used and we didn't know as much about infant pain. Now we know that glucose releases endorphins and that a nerve block can avert any pain. Complications are rare and I know of very very few circumcised men who are upset about the fact that their parents had them circumcised.

It's certainly a personal/family issue, but I'm glad that the gov't/my taxes are not paying for them any more.

11. jared2

jared2 New Member

"I know of very very few circumcised men who are upset about the fact that their parents had them circumcised."

Maybe we don't know what we're missing. :unsure:

12. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  13. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 15 2006, 07:48 AM) [snapback]271617[/snapback]</div>
    Yep, a reasonable reply (but then I expected that from a doctor!) I was surprised when my daughter had her son circumsized. Today, I probably wouldn't have my child circumsized just because the risk/benefit curve is basically flat ... and why endure any pain for so little benefit?

But I also cannot be critical of their decision.

14. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

I'm just glad that we had daughters- one less potentially life-shattering decision I had to make!

15. Subversive

Subversive New Member

I would expect that male circumcision will continue to be practiced in this country for much the same reason that female circumcision is practiced in African and Arab countries--because the religious fundamentalists want people to get less pleasure out of sex. Male circumcision may be safe and not at all barbaric in the way that female circumcision is, but apart from ethnic tradition and religious practice (as well as ignorance and apathy), the motivation for doing it to people is the same for both genders around the world--less genitalia means less potential for sexual pleasure.

16. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OMG we've gone to the gutter now the topics PENIS's :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for circumision I was done as a baby, my parents were not religious.. The doctors did it for health reasons, There have been reports of uncut men having painful erections do to the foreskin not pulling back or was still connected to the meatus. (gag) :blink: then theres the hygiene issue not cleaning out the cheesy build up under the skin can cause yeast infections ect. ok i'm making my self sick ... <_< So i'll stop now.. :eek:

I too have not heard of anyone complaining about having their penis circumcised they just think its normal.
    how ever the uncircumcised kids in gym class would get funny looks from other kids in the showers..

Sooo moving right along here someone going to start a thread on large clitortis's? :blink:

17. Jim1eye

Jim1eye Shaklee Ind Distributor

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
  18. Schmika

Schmika New Member

OMG.......Circumcision should be SOLELY a matter among the parents and the doctor. It is not the Gov't's business and it SURELY is NONE of any of your business (other than yours or your childs circumcision).

MAN, do we like sticking our nose in other people's business.

19. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I guess that many here do not know the history of circumcision in the US. Before WWI circumcision was rare in the US, and by WWII so common that the Nazis could not sort out Jews in the US troups by having them "drop trow" . What happened. Basically two things. First a study in the 1920 done in NY, NY trying to look into the cause of cervical cancer in women. This study compared the incidence of cervical cancer ( very important cancer in the time killing thousands of women in the US) between circumcised and uncircumcised male partners. It concluded that the "partners" uncircumcised males had less cervical cancer. Then there was the experience of WWI where many men living in filthy conditions were they could not clean them selves in any way developed infections of the penis and fore skin. This required many adult circumcisions and a reduction of "readiness" So the stage was set. Fore skin was bad!! Very bad it caused infection in men and that is intolerable and cervical cancer in women and that was not so good. Conclusion, circumcise males.
    Well the story does not end. Yes circumcision does help prevent infection if you root around in mud and muck and do not clean yourself (i.e. male persons do not clean themselves). If you whack it off then Amen Hallelujah men are saved from infection and a painful adult procedure that they might remember!!! The other side is that if you teach them to clean themselves, and give them the chance to do that they do as well as most European men and do not get infection. Damn if you brush you teeth they will not have to be removed. Revelation!! Circumcision really does not prevent cervical cancer. That is another story.
    Cervical Cancer is a venereal disease and sending circumcised males to war in WWII increased the incidence of cervical cancer. Imagine what they were doing all over Europe and the Pacific. And yes they brought home cervical cancer to their wives and girl friends!! This story get better and yes has a good ending. First the studies of the 1920 neglected the fact that the circumcised males and their partners were found exactly where you would expect to find them in 1920 at Monte Sinai Hospital in New York. A higher than average monogamous, married population. The "Control" group, where else Bellevue the charity hospital. A large proportion of shall we say unmarried and experienced women, who got cervical cancer a lot.
    OK I am a rash and rude person. Cervical cancer is a venereal disease my Grandmother and or Mom died of cervical cancer and she did not have a venereal disease. She would never and Grandpa and or Dad ... he was a Saint even if he was "out of town" during the war for a few years.
    So I got my penis whacked, as did many others.
    The truth is that the epidemiological studies were measuring a venereal disease that occurred less often in largely monogamous groups (at Mt Sinai) and more often in shall we say more experienced groups (Believe Hospital).
    The cause of cervical cancer is HPV, Human Papilloma Virus... yes Warts. But not just any warts, just a few varieties and those do not produce a wart that can be seen. Yes they are too small and it is a Pandemic. Notice the lack of "" around Pandemic. This is the real thing and there are a half million new cases world wide and it is killing 10"s of thousands of women. Ugly you say. I say yes! What we do in the "developed countries" is detect the precancerous changes and eliminate them from women before we see Invasive Carcinoma of the Cervix. In doing so we create some morbidity and mortality. What I want is for all of you to put me out of business.
    The first vaccine against cancer was released by the FDA on June 9th 2006. Remember that day it is a first. Yes we can now vaccinate people against one kind of cancer. A vaccine against cancer. Boggles the mind does it not. We now have a vaccine against the worse HPV types!! We have a second on the way. Not every Wart virus (HPV) is created equal only certain ones have the oncogenes that start the process to cervical cancer ( and carcinoma of the penis, do I have the rest of your attention now!) This is a vaccine that we need to get to every prepubertal boy and girl in the world. Please put me out on the street with a sign. "I will Pap for food" Please destroy me put me out of business. I really need your support! It is indeed a "Brave New World"

20. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Subversive @ Jun 15 2006, 08:02 PM) [snapback]271990[/snapback]</div>
    I'm circumsized, and I have to tell you, if sex was any more pleasurable I would never go to work.

No wonder French productivity is so low!