1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is drop of MPG Normal w New Tires?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by PriusOwner2006, Oct 18, 2006.

1. PriusOwner2006

PriusOwner2006 New Member

We've had our Prius since August 2006. We were averaging 44.5 MPG since start of cooler temperatures [winter fuel mix at gasoline station?]. MPG has dropped by one or two MPG since new tires installed. I recall on a posting examined during summer 2006 that a drop in MPG is to be expected. Is that drop temporary or most likely permanent? [We're pleased with new tires - just curious about whether or not the drop in MPG will be sustained for the future.] Thanks for any guidance on this.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It depends on the tyres you bought. If you bought the same GY Integrity tyres (i.e. all else being equal), then the drop is temporary as the tyres wear in. If you bought a different set, it might be permanent because that new set may have more rolling resistance than the Integrity. Yes, winter fuel can dent the mileage.

3. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    check your inflation!

the idiots who put my new tires on did not inflate them properly!

WHAT TIRES DID YOU BUY?

4. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I've replaced my tires once w/ the same OEM brand. MPG fell until the tires wore in. As they wear down, the MPG's increase due to lower rolling resistance.

I'm almost due for a new set, and my averages are between 53-55mpg for a 70mph commute. I'd reasonably expect that to drop to 48-49mpg while they wore in on the next set if I stuck w/ the Integrity.

5. PriusOwner2006

PriusOwner2006 New Member

Thanks for the replies and the suggestions - we'll check the inflation to verify dealer's inflation was suitable. Our new tires are Nokian WR winter-rated all-weather tires. Our experience with such tires has been consistently positive in our northern NY climates and road conditions, given that our weather patterns share much in common with our Canadian neighbors. Again, thanks!

6. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusOwner2006 @ Oct 21 2006, 06:26 AM) [snapback]336045[/snapback]</div>
    You bought good tires that are LRR (I have the Michelin MXV4+ LRR tires).

As tires wear, the tread gets thinner. At end of life the tire radius is reduced by about 1/4 inches. This increases the revs/mile by about 2% (at 185/65R15 tire size - 24.5 inch diameter reducing to 24 inch diameter with wear). So when you replace your tires there will be an apparent 2% decrease in MPG which is not real, it's due to a change in the calibration of your speedometer (and odometer).

My new tires actually increased my MPG slightly (compared to the OEM Googyear Integrity tires, without taking the new tire penalty or the 0.7% lower revs/mile of the MXV4+ tires into account), especially at low temperatures.

JeffD

7. theorist

theorist Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jdenenberg @ Oct 24 2006, 11:27 AM) [snapback]337338[/snapback]</div>
    So true and well explained.

On top of this, worn tires generally have lower rolling resistance than ones with full tread depth. This is the reason that human powered and solar vehicle contestants often shave tires to reduce the tread depth. Rolling resistance is primarily due to the deformation of the rubber. This deformation in the rubber in the tread is reduced when there is less tread to deform.

Both of these explanations apply to those replacing worn tires with new ones, but probably not to someone replacing tires on a two month old Prius. I also suspect PriusOwner2006's increase in fuel consumption is largely the same change that all of us in colder climates observe when the temperatures drop.

8. FreshAirGuy

FreshAirGuy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusOwner2006 @ Oct 18 2006, 08:51 PM) [snapback]334835[/snapback]</div>

I recently replaced the tires that came on my 2005 with new larger tires and wheels. Two things were immediately obvious 1. the ride improved miracously 2. there was about a 10% drop in MPG. Discount Tires underinflated the tires to 35 front 33 rear. I raised the psi to 42 f 40 r and saw no change other than a bumpier ride. After 600 miles the new tires were less sticky but they are definately not low rolling resistance tires. As tires age the roll easier. I am now getting less than 4% lower MPG and the car still handles much better than with the original smaller tires and wheels. The Max psi on the tire wall is 50. If I wantd to join the high milers I could inflate the tires to 48 f and 46 r and still be safe but. It is a big but -- the road would get a lot bumpier, the tire foot print smaller so handling would worsen. Everyone will tell you that there is a trade off between comfort and performance. You have to decide which you prefer looks - chrome wheels big tires; high mileage; soft ride; etc., etc. A lot of the fun in having a Prius is making all those decisions. No matter how you choose to go -- after 5000 miles you will find it very hard to not get better than 40 MPG. If you want to get 60 MPG consistently you have some learning and modifying to do. Priuschat and Hybridcars.com have most of the information you need or links to it.