1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

is end of month always a good time to buy?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by gyudaddy, Apr 15, 2006.

1. gyudaddy

gyudaddy Junior Member

Prius is going to be my first new car, so I 'm very nervous to just step in to a dealership. Many people say any last week of every month should be only time to purchase a vehicle because dealers live off of sales. If they sold a lot so far, they like to make a record. If they didn't sell enough, they'd gladly lower their price to meet minimum sales.

I know Prius is still one of the hottest car. As I'm just dying to order a new Prius, should I wait until the last week of April to do so, or it doesn't matter to go ahead and order one since I only 'order' it instead of buying it? I've heard a lot about 'end of month deals'. What do you experts think? I really don't want to gep ripped off on my first new car.

Thank you a lot in advance.

2. momfortheenvironment

I'm not sure but I'm gearing up to buy, but my impression is that they are selling at msrp or higher in states like CA-please correct me if I'm wrong! I'm in no rush and they have never offered to come down and I've walked out several times. I'm in NH.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well there's enough to go around that you should be paying MSRP MAXIMUM. If any dealer tries to sell you one with a mark up, just leave and find another dealer that's willing to make a sale. Also, with regards to waiting lists, just keep searching. Some dealers will tell you something like 8 months, while others have unsold Priuses on their lots.

4. marjflowers

marjflowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I got miine off the lot.

Peace --

5. gyudaddy

gyudaddy Junior Member

Wow. thanks for you guys ultra fast reponses! So far my local dealer offered me $750 below MSRP. I guess I'm just jealous that people from DC area or any other, talked about getting theirs $1500 to $2200 below MSRP. Since I live in KS, 'middle of nowhere', my goal is around $1250+ below MSRP. I'm wondering by going the last week of April, i can squeeze extra $$ from our dealer.

6. BoosPrius

BoosPrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gyudaddy @ Apr 15 2006, 08:59 PM) [snapback]240357[/snapback]</div>

I bot my 2006 Prius on March 28, and they didn't pressure me a bit to make sure I got them the title on my trade-in by the 31st so they could count the sale for that month. I got $750 off the sticker price. Now that gas prices are soaring again, I wouldn't be surprised if dealers go back to demanding sticker price.

Gary