1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is garage at home most common place to plug-in?

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by cycledrum, Jan 4, 2013.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At home, is charging inside a garage overnight the most common place? Are some people plugging in on driveways overnight?

Reason I ask is it is incredibly common around here for people to use their single family home garage for storage, then leave cars in the driveway or street.

Perhaps part of convincing someone to get a plug-in car is to encourage them to clear a space in garage for their car :eek:

2. jbrad4

jbrad4 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yep. That's what I did - cleaned an area in my 3-car garage for my plug-in where I now charge my car.

cycledrum likes this.
  3. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I plug my car inside my two-car garage to a dedicated electrical circuit. I didn't have to make room for it though :)

cycledrum likes this.
  4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I feel guilty not owning a plug in as some fanatic put eight 220v outlets in my two car garage, two of them three phase. (And yes, I have both my Prius and the wife's anti-Prius (Tahoe with towing package, 17 MPG) inside the garage)

cycledrum likes this.
  5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd say at least 95% of the Tesla group have in-garage charging set up with either NEMA 14-50, NEMA 6-50 (in preparation for a wall charger), or with an existing wall charger (mostly Roadster owners).

cycledrum likes this.
  6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The vandalism/attempted theft of a couple of my motorcycles during my youth quickly led me to the benefits of a garage and I haven't been without one since. I've all ready read of a few charge cord incidents. I fear once word spreads how expensive these OEM cords are these isolated cases will increase.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm a bit anal about garaging my cars from the time i could first afford a garage. i love having my car out of the heat and snow and am amazed watching neighbors who start their cars in summer and turn the a/c on and let them idle in the driveway for 10-20 minutes and shovel and clean off cars in winter and do the same thing with preheat. in the meantime, they have one, two and three car garages filled to overflowing with stuff they never touch.

8. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been cleaning the garage little by little to fit the car in. In the meantime, the car gets charged in the driveway. The brick stays inside though.