1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is IRAN just stalling for time? Do you trust anything they say?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Catskillguy, May 24, 2006.

?
  1. I think they're stalling for time to build a bomb to hold Israel and the West hostage.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. They are trying to squeeze as much out of the West before agreeing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. They are not sure of what the West will do and they are still playing a wait and see game

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. It doesn't matter what happens, they will develope a bomb and fufill Ahmadinejad's vision of apocoly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. They are sincere because they see the danger in continuing on the current path

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

ran Requests Direct Talks on Nuclear Program

By Karl Vick and Dafna Linzer
    Washington Post Foreign Service
    Wednesday, May 24, 2006; A01

TEHRAN, May 23 -- Iran has followed President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's recent letter to President Bush with explicit requests for direct talks on its nuclear program, according to U.S. officials, Iranian analysts and foreign diplomats.

The eagerness for talks demonstrates a profound change in Iran's political orthodoxy, emphatically erasing a taboo against contact with Washington that has both defined and confined Tehran's public foreign policy for more than a quarter-century, they said.

Though the Tehran government in the past has routinely jailed its citizens on charges of contact with the country it calls the "Great Satan," Ahmadinejad's May 8 letter was implicitly endorsed by Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, and lavished with praise by perhaps the most conservative ayatollah in the theocratic government.

"You know, two months ago nobody would believe that Mr. Khamenei and Mr. Ahmadinejad together would be trying to get George W. Bush to begin negotiations," said Saeed Laylaz, a former government official and prominent analyst in Tehran. "This is a sign of changing strategy. They realize the situation is dangerous and they should not waste time, that they should reach out."

2. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Didn't answer the poll because I'm asking, do I trust anything the Bush administration/CIA/NSA slips into the media about Iran?
    GWB seems just as hellbent on the rapture and apocalypse as Ahmadinejad.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't know what Iran's strategy or intentions are. But one thing I know: the people in charge in Iran are a hell of a lot smarter than the people running the U.S.A. And that's kind of spooky!

4. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

The United States keeps the nuclear secrets in a nice secure little packet. Iran is waiting for either a Clinton, or perhaps any democrat to win the whitehouse... At which point said president will run the secret pack down to kinkos and zerox off a copy for the Iranians.

Bill did it for China and was able to save money by using double sided copies.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ May 28 2006, 02:06 PM) [snapback]262117[/snapback]</div>
    Whatever you've been smoking, you could make a lot of money selling it on the street. That's gotta be some powerful stuff.