1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it a fair statement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by siliconhybrid, Oct 8, 2007.

1. siliconhybrid

siliconhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have been thinking about doing shark fin mod, but always have second thoughts on the antenna reception quality. I read ppl are saying if you live in a metro area (I live in San Jose, CA), there doesn't seem any noticeable degradation.

So I am planning to take the horse whip antenna out, and try out the reception without it.

Is it a fair statement to say that Shark fin antenna will definitely get me a better reception vs No (horse whip) antenna?

thanks

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd say it will definately get you a little better reception that with no whip...but not much.

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd think the shark fin will get you much better reception than no antenna and it will look a lot better too. My shark fin gives me better reception than I had in my Camry with the standard steel antenna. At one set of traffic lights which in behind a hill my radio in the Camry would struggle, I have never noticed that in my Prius.

4. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I stupidly busted the mount on my stock antenna. I have been driving for 3 weeks with no antenna, and essentially no radio, at least not that I want to listen to. I live in a semi-rural area and mainly listen to the Albany classical station and NPR through the local repeaters. I could not get either without the antenna. A couple of the strongest local rock and religious stations came through. On a trip to Boston I got several stations (althoug with some breakup in the downtown skyscraper area).

I just put on a sharkfin, and VOILA !! all my old favorites are back. Whether better than the stock I cannot tell, but I will know tomorrow after a commuter, which always involved a bit of static with the stock antenna.

Conclusion: Antenna makes a big difference, unless you are in an area with strong stations you like.