1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it a good idea to buy a high milage prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by RandyHouston, Jul 14, 2015.

1. RandyHouston

RandyHouston New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've searched the forum, and nobody's asked exactly this. Anyways, my parents are going to buy me a car for college, and I'm pretty sure I want a prius. My 2nd grade teacher is a car dealer, and she's selling her daughter's 2010 prius that their family bought at 45k miles and now has 124k miles. She wants $10k. Most of her daughter's driving was for her job, doing short trips within 15 miles of the company, driving on streets with traffic lights. The car is in pristine condition with no dents, and the test drive felt like it was new.

Is it likely that I will be losing money on repairs compared to buying a 70k mile car for $3k or so more, or an even lower milage car? Should we buy the $1,700 extended warranty that covers battery etc. for 65k miles/4 years?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just can't picture anything good coming out of teacher student relationships......

How many miles do you think you'll be driving while in college? Word is out gas will be $2 a gallon again. It may not be worth while to buy a high mileage hybrid......on a student budget

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's not a good idea to buy a high mileage prius. nothing good can come from it. however, 124,000 isn't really high, it's right on the verge of high, so you'll be driving it into high. texas heat is hard on hybrid batteries, so be prepared to drop anywhere from $100. to $4,000. to keep it running, depending on your diy skills, or lack thereof.

then there's the $5,000. air contioning system, $2,500. brake master cylinder. after that, it's the usual nuts and bolts, a few hundred here, a few hundred there.

lastly, if you decide to go ahead with a hybrid, find out the true value of the car by shopping around. all the best with your decision.(y)

4. matt b.

matt b. Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes I suggest you buy the extended warranty it's always a good idea for those unforeseen circumstances that pop up and even though there are some on here that say no don't buy it you are the only one that can make that decision talk it over with your parents you say the car is in pristine condition so if you think it's the right thing to do pull the trigger but you're not going to find another car that has this mileage and the least amount of maintenance required

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not aware of any legitimate company offering an extended warranty for a car with 124k miles. I would seriously read the fine print.

6. matt b.

matt b. Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Worry about likely when likely gets here

7. PriusNP

PriusNP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have both gen prius an 04 & 11

I purchased the 04 with 90k and has 150k almost in 3.5 years.

I changed the plugs and tranny oil and exhaust plus Springs and shocks in rear. And set of tires and alignment. Replaced the sks on hatch and gas shocks holding hatch plus an Ășltima battery Spent around $1600

Plus other regular stuff like oil and filters and wiper blades.

Runs like new and confidence it will last plus my mechanic is a good friend so does not over charge me. That helps alot

8. PriusNP

PriusNP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have both gen prius an 04 & 11

I purchased the 04 with 90k and has 150k almost in 3.5 years.

I changed the plugs and tranny oil and exhaust plus Springs and shocks in rear. And set of tires and alignment. Replaced the sks on hatch and gas shocks holding hatch plus an Ășltima battery Spent around $1600

Plus other regular stuff like oil and filters and wiper blades.

Runs like new and confidence it will last plus my mechanic is a good friend so does not over charge me. That helps alot

9. Tim Bender

Tim Bender Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    that price seems high. I would shop around and see what else is available in that ballpark. You could walk into carmax today and buy a sub 40,000 mile prius for $15k IIRC. We were car shopping a few months ago and almost bought another.

10. MADPolo

MADPolo New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The only concern I would have with that deal, is the price. I think you can do better. I bought my 2013 used with 43k on it for $14k out the door.

11. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Nothing breaks on this car. It will last 300k as a TAXI.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    apparently, you haven't spent much time here.:cool:

13. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is not a good idea for the 80k they put in with those short trips in town probably used up the HV battery. How about service records ?? all the oil changes fluids changed ?? Was ATF ever changed ??

You should test drive a new prius to see the difference ...

Also 10K seems too high (what trim level ??) .... also you are buying it from a used car salesman(woman) ... I mean a 2015 brand new trim Prius 2 is about 22000-23000 max even a better deal can be had ...

14. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My answer is a big fat NOoooo, your to close to buying a brand new Hyundai Elantra with a great warranty that averages around 28-38 mpg for around 14k to 15k with zero percent interest.

15. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Randy, "Is it good to buy a high mileage (insert car name here)?" is a loaded question and the answer is "It depends".

Use truecar.com to see what new cars are selling for and to see the asking prices of used cars.

Read through Car Buying Guide for New and Used Vehicles | CarBuyingTips.com then read it again.

Why is the daughter selling a perfectly good 2010 Prius with 124000 miles?

I would expect a 2010 Prius with 124000 miles to be more reliable than other 2010 cars with 124000 miles but that doesn't mean the car will run forever without needing repairs. One day you WILL need a new traction battery. I can't tell you if that day is next week, next month, next year, or 10 years from now. When buying used you should have a maintenance fund. If not, how do you intend to fix whatever needs to be fixed in any car?

124000 miles in 5 years is high mileage, there has to be more to the story than you are being told. Register the VIN at Toyota Owners Official Web Site to see the service history.

There is nothing wrong with buying a 5 or 6 year old Prius if the price is right. I found one with 97000 miles for $10000 so in my opinion that car is overpriced. At $5000 there's a good chance most would say "but the car". The question should be what else is available at your price point? How much are the alternatives going to cost to operate and maintain? Don't forget insurance quotes.

16. MoDianePrius2013

MoDianePrius2013 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just bought a second 2013 (52kmi) Hertz previous rental for $13.3k. No issues as our 2010 went 76kmi before we totaled it in an accident.

17. NatesPrius10

NatesPrius10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just purchased a 2010 with 111000 miles, mostly from a long highway commute. I do all my own work, regardless of complexity. So far after purchase I have had a number of items to preform. All basic easy preventative stuff. But some questionable.
    Under engine panel $46
    Miscellaneous clips $10
    Windshield $150
    Transaxle fluid $40
    Used rear seatbelt $70
    All for window belt mouldings $140
    In 7k miles it will require an oil change coolant replacement and spark plugs. I plan on applying a coat of plastidip while the whiper cowl is off. $150-200 more.
    Bottom line, cars require attention. Overall the prius is far cheaper and durable then most.

It's highly likely your car will require some tlc after purchase. For the price, I would pass. For $8000 it might be worth pursuing.

18. depriusoto

depriusoto Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm looking at a high mile 2010 V with the tech package. 100,200 miles all here in NM. Seller is the 3rd owner and has had it for the last three years. Got the carfax and the toyota owners records. 2nd owner drove the car something like a 30k/year for two years in s row. There are no service records in either one of those two sources for the high mile years. Could be the owner was a do-it-yourselfer. The seller told me she was told the second owner was the wife of the service manager at the local Lexus dealer so maybe everything was off the books. No way to know. The seller - to her credit - when she bought the car from the Lexus dealer was able to purchase a Toyota platinum warranty that will transfer. It has not quite two years left and 37k. That is a plus in the column towards buying the car.
    It's going to Albuquerque Hybrids for a pre-purchase going through. If it passes I'll probably go for it. If there are some big ticket items - replacing the rear shocks/struts is a $1000+ job I was told - it will be the option of the seller to fix it or deduct the cost from the price. She started at $13,700. That was a couple of weeks ago. She dropped the price to $13,200 last Friday. I looked at the car but then wandered off for a sojourn into Nissan LEAF land. She sent me an email asking if I was still interested in the car last Sunday. She's wants to "deal" so she can buy a new Saburu and go off road in the mountains. If there are no big red flags - I do know the tires are going to need to be replaced and thats $600 plus- I will offer her $10k and see what happens.
    Having owned/driven a 2002, 2007 and 2009 I'm looking forward to the Gen III experience. And then again there is LEAF land.
    Ed K

19. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Even if it is a fully loaded five. 13,200 for a 6 year old Prius with over 100k miles is just too much money. I mean you can probably get one with half the miles the and half the age for that amount but it'd be two or a three.

20. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The few 2010 Prius with 100000 miles for sale around here are asking $10500-$12500 but they aren't V-AT.