1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it bad to own oil company stocks?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Jun 19, 2006.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If so why?

2. B Rad

B Rad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jun 19 2006, 06:40 PM) [snapback]273676[/snapback]</div>
    When Bush was elected I went out and bought some oil stock mutual funds. Have done quite well. I will sell when his term of office is over and hope that the next President and congress will do a better job reigning in the power of big oil. Does this make me bad, and why???????

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    what, profiting from the inevitable? hell i'd do it.

4. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Is it bad to own tobacco, alcohol, and/or other sin stocks? You own stocks to make money in the market. It is the American way. :)

5. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/conte...20/b3984001.htm

You gotta know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em. It's possible that they'll go up but the time to buy 'em was during the nineties when they couldn't get increase prices and there was a real glut. Sort of past the peak there, old bean (get it? burrito, bean...heh heh heh)

6. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jun 19 2006, 06:40 PM) [snapback]273676[/snapback]</div>
    I've been buying exxon and BP drips for the better part of 10 years. Of course the anarchist in me always votes my shares to oust all board members and I always vote against what they recommend and for what they recommend against(to no avail of course).

Still a part of me feels guilty that I'm benefiting financially from oil companies but not guilty enough to sell the shares. And the guilt is almost entirely erased when I see SUV's fill up. Someone has to pay those divy's.

7. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I decided a long time ago that we would not outlive our thirst for oil.

Bought Mobil on DRIP in my IRA. I buy Exxon Mobil gas 99% of the time figuring I am putting a penny or two back in my pocket, not in someone elses.

It's an old idea- if you can't beat 'em.... join 'em!

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'd say that, although the companies are evil, owning shares in them is not. Unless you own a significant percentage of outstanding shares and vote to support the board of directors. However, as another poster noted, now may be a foolish time to buy in, as the obscene profits at present cause the market to inflate the price in anticipation.

You make money in the market by buying a company that the market expects to do poorly, but that then does well. Or by buying good solid growth companies and waiting a very long time.

9. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

I took my first business ethics course at the same time I took a really good finance course - I ended up changing my holdings a good bit. I realize my few shares of things don't really matter, but felt like I was finally putting my money where my mouth was. There were plenty of companies with excellent opportunities who have some sense of social responsibility. I didn't want to be profiting from things I really don't agree with. Now I profit from other things, and my conscience can bother be about something else.

If you've got the time and resources to do some (or quite a lot of) research, it's easy to find stocks that perform well and share your priorities.