1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it bad to turn the car off and on quickly?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Omegaphoenix, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Omegaphoenix

Omegaphoenix New Member

So if I go to a parking lot in my '05 prius and want to finish listening to the song or whatever, I've found that the only way to do that and still turn the car off if is to turn it off and then turn it on again with out pressing the break pedal. Is that bad for the car? or is there a way I can turn it off and keep the radio on?

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You've pulled into a lot and want to hear the end of the song, right? Why not simply leave it in the Ready mode? It's not that long a time and the engine shouldn't be running. It's like if I have to wait in line at the pump. In my old car (if the wait was long), I'd turn it off, but not in the Prius.

3. Omegaphoenix

Omegaphoenix New Member

wouldn't that use up more battery power though even if I do turn the headlights off? and not exactly just for the end of the song, like if i'm waiting for someone in my car.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's what I do, there's no way you'll harm the car doing that and it will reduce power usage a little bit.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have parked my car, left it running, and carried on conversations stretching upwards of 15 minutes. The ICE was not running the entire time. When I got back into my car, there were two spots in the cunsumption screen that were empty - where there were no miles logged - and the battery was no worse for wear. I wouldn't worry about using battery power sitting in your car. That battery can propel you up to 40 miles per hour for a decent stretch; sitting for a while playing the radio isn't going to bother it.

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Well, as efusco said, it won't hurt to turn off and on like that. But consider this, the ICE will turn on if the battery is too low. Otherwise it's off.

7. ched1968

ched1968 New Member

what i do is, after i parked and i want to stay in the car and listen to the radio, i turn it off and switch it back on only at the accessory. then after im done i just stick the fob in the slot and when you pull it out it will turn off so you do not have to do the cycle again which is turning it on to ready before you switch it off .

8. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If you are that into the song (a Seinfeld “Desperado†song), why would you want to interrupt it while you turn your Prius off and then back on?

Me personally, I’d hit the “park†button, take my foot off the brake pedal, and enjoy the song. Three minutes of sitting there with the car on and the ICE off is insignificant.

On the other hand, if you are waiting to pick someone up, or leaving in a few minutes, why make your Prius go through the shutdown cycle (pump hot fluid into thermos, etc.), and then have it go through another decreased milage start-up cycle.

I too have left the car on while talking to someone, or running into the house for something I forgot. The Prii’s only complaint is when you walk away with the SKS FOB while it is still on . . . but it only gives a few beeps.

9. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If you have the EV mod, I think you can park and put the car in EV mode to prevent the ICE from starting (until you get low on battery power).

10. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Leave the car in ready mode, but turn off the Auto A/C. The ICE will likely shut off.

Nate