1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it just me, or is the Prius awefully easy to bottom out!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sl7vk, Jul 23, 2006.

1. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ok, I have 800 miles on this car and I've already bottomed out a couple of times. Now I think I've got it figured out, and I take any bump at about 1 mph.... Like a neurotic 85 year old woman. But washing my car today, aside from a couple of scratches on the plastic thing that is under the front bumper, I noticed that I had jarred one of the bolts free that is holding the plastic thingy down.

The passenger side is drooping sadly, and I was wondering what size bolt I need, and where I can obtain one? Thanks in advance.

2. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Huh. No problems here, but I've always driven vehicles that are low to the ground. What kind of "bumps" are you running into on normal roadways?

3. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think it bottoms out easily. I've got a dip in the road leading to my house and I've learned to slow way down. I hate that sound.

4. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon @ Jul 24 2006, 12:15 AM) [snapback]291269[/snapback]</div>
    I'm just talking about turning off a road and having to go through a gutter before engaging the street. Most of my problems are when I'm pulling out of a gutter, not when I'm pulling into one. Some of the streets have rather steep grades and the transitions between two streets can be a bit rough at times. I don't bottom her out anymore, but I really have to creep through these gutters and not a mph more!

5. AuntBee

AuntBee New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Happens to mine in the same spot of road routinely, no matter how slow I go. But I can tell from the marks in the asphalt left by other cars that it's the road, not Ruby's fault.

6. j24816

j24816 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AuntBee @ Jul 23 2006, 10:05 PM) [snapback]291308[/snapback]</div>

7. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

I found that Utah has a different design mentality for the gutters where the street meets the road. Maybe it's an 'out west' thing, and especially St. George. I think they do it because when they get rain, it's dumped hard and fast and it all runs off quick.

The gutters are not so pronounced in the midwest..

8. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Same for me. Pulling out of the drive- it sometimes scrapes but backing in the drive it is OK. It is pretty low to the ground.

9. Starfall

Starfall New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How does the Prius do with speed bumps or humps?

10. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Starfall @ Jul 24 2006, 12:35 PM) [snapback]291443[/snapback]</div>
    Just fine. The humps no prob, the bumps take them slowly. It's just these gutter transitions that are killing me here!

11. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Starfall @ Jul 24 2006, 09:35 AM) [snapback]291443[/snapback]</div>
    At 60 mph, I was airborne for 42.5 feet (but got really great mileage during this flight.)

The car is a little vulnerable here. I've learned to anticipate. The school I teach at has deliberately high speed bumps as a punitive measure and I get over them well, slowly. Be more suspicious of dips. The rising far side is what gets me if I'm not careful.

There was a short but intense thread in another forum about lowering a Prius. That should be a hoot to watch.

12. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sl7vk @ Jul 23 2006, 08:59 PM) [snapback]291265[/snapback]</div>
    As compared to which what?

Compared to the average cars I've driven: Civic, Camry, Corolla; no. The Prius is pretty much the same, maybe just a bit heavier, but I sure didn't bottom it out on a dip at speed like my friend did to his TL.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sl7vk @ Jul 23 2006, 08:59 PM) [snapback]291265[/snapback]</div>
    Take it to your good local dealership service area, grab a service writer/parts guy, and ask him what that bolt is. They should be able to get you a part number too which you can then directly order, or find slight cheaper online.

13. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Jul 24 2006, 04:03 PM) [snapback]291548[/snapback]</div>
    As compared to both a Subaru Legacy and a Subaru Outback. Not exactly beheamoths of the road....

14. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Jul 24 2006, 09:47 AM) [snapback]291449[/snapback]</div>
    Hey Alnilam...this is NOT your airplane we are talkin' 'bout, remember? That would be AirBusChat you have us confused with! :rolleyes:

15. jtullos

jtullos New Member

Yes, gutters out west are worse than in the midwest or the south. When we were living in an apartment complex in Carson City, we scraped every single time going into or out of the complex unless we came in very slowly at a 45 degree angle from the direction of the road. It's partly due to the rain. When it rains here, we can EASILY get flooded, so the gutters are deep to allow water to flow away quickly. it's also due to many people here having trucks and the mentality that a dirt path is a road.

16. Tatania

Tatania Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I agree. But then I went from an SUV to my prius. The main place I notice it is my driveway which is on slight grade till you hit the bottom and it's a deep bump. Now I just have to angle it out and I'm find.

I didn't find any problems with speed bumps yet.

Did I mention I really love this car? :)

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I only seem to bottom out with 3 people in the back (i.e. the rear of the car touches the hump or bump). I also notice that people will flash me with 3 people in the back (no HIDs).

The Prius sits lower than the current Corolla. I parked beside one once and noticed that if the Corolla were to pull all the way in and have the tyres touch the curb, he wouldn't scrap the bottom of his bumper but if I were to pull in, I would.

18. mootsman

mootsman New Member

I have a grated drain field line right across the front of my garage. Over the last 20 years I driven everything from a Twin Turbo 300ZX to a Ford Expedition with several Subies in between and I never bottomed out on the little dip until this week with my new Prius. No big deal but it rides a LOT lower than what I'm used to.

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lower than the 300ZX? wow.

20. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i've only had two major bottom-outs. first, i made a wrong turn and found myself in the WRONG neighborhood at the WRONG time. i figured that the local church would be a safe driveway to turn around in... except that the driveway was extremely steep one- i heard the scrape and i knew it was bad. but i wasn't about to stop to check the damage till i was in friendlier territory. no major damage like i was expecting.

the second one was really bad, i was again in unfamiliar territory, in the evening, late for a gathering. there was no sign in the parking lot that there was a really big hump and since it was dark i didn't see it. i heard a constant scraping after i hit that one, so i had DH come out and pull the plates off before i drove home. he reinstalled them for me with no permanent damage the next week.

in regular daily driving i haven't had a single problem. it seems to be the extenuating circumstances that get me.