1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it legal to install an LED stripe in the middle between driving lights?

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by DKTVAV, Dec 30, 2013.

1. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I'm thinking about putting an 2' LED stripe in the middle of the upper grill but not sure about the law here in CA, can I do it? I don't recall seeing any car like that I guess we're not allowed to put any lights between the driving headlights but couldn't find any info about it.

2. JYLPriusc

JYLPriusc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    the official anwser is: it illegal to do any modification, motor vehicle are under very very rigid legislation (headlamp wattage, reflection, glare, height, width, surface area and so on...), BUT commun sense with police will be the rule here. If you don't create distraction, confusion or become a danger to other...do it! make it so it look OEM and you will happy for ever...

KK6PD likes this.
  3. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I don't think this is 100% true... if it were, I don't think you could buy fog lights at Wal-Mart. But you are right... it's not about what is legal and what is not legal. It's about what the cop will allow or realize is illegal. I run my 73 VW Bug without bumpers, which is illegal, but since it has bumper skirts, it looks like it has them and I never get pulled over *granted, California would pull me over ever 3 feet*.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Color matters too. If it's red or blue it's definitely illegal, so you can't do that KIT from Nightrider thing. ;)

SCH-I535

ztanos likes this.
  5. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
  6. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    They are legal to put on... not sure about turning them on though. :) I believe as long as you stick with white and don't make them direct lighting that will create issues with other motorists, you'll be ok. But, YMMV.