1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it my 12v battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by jerpag, Mar 8, 2013.

1. jerpag

jerpag Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yesterday I was driving and the car lost power. When it came to stop I turned it off, then pressed the power button and everything was back to normal. Any idea what could cause this?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You can check the 12 volt with a digital multimeter. There's a chart here (about 2/3 down the page) on what the readings mean:

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

3. jerpag

jerpag Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It was 12.65 so I guess it is ok.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I just checked voltage on a new battery I put in our son's car last weekend, and it was tipping between 12.64~12.65. I guess what I'm saying is your number sounds good ;)

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    When that happened to me it was my dog, he had stepped on the P button and put the car in neutral.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This test is most meaningful if the car has been turned off overnight, or at least for a few hours, and not yet turned back on to 'Ready'. If you repeat it first thing tomorrow morning, I suspect the voltage will be lower, but still good.
    This, or accidentally trying shifting the car into Reverse, should cause a double beep warning as it goes to a fail-safe Neutral. Intentionally going into Neutral requires holding the shifter in N for over a second, and won't give an audio notice.