1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it ok to clean the throttle body on a 2009 prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Liam howard, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Liam howard

Liam howard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hello,

I wanted to know if anyone ever had an issue from cleaning the throttle body on a 2009 Prius, specifically, by opening the butterfly. I have read that on some vehicles it can break the throttle body and/or you will have to go through a manual relearn process. My question is: Does the Prius automatically adjust the throttle body and recalibrate itself? If you have had any issues what were they and how did you resolve them?

Thank you

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Although it should go without saying, just make sure the car is off and you'll be fine.

Liam howard and SFO like this.
  3. Liam howard

Liam howard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks. I also disconnected the 12v just in case that makes any difference. I have heard nightmare stories about busting these things while cleaning them.

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Although there are minor downsides (losing memory settings for example), it's always a prudent move; especially on an electric vehicle. Many of the FSM procedures list this as Step 1.

GOOD LUCK!

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Power off is fine for the throttle body. It moves easily; I'm having trouble imagining the story behind any "busted the throttle body" nightmares.

Now if the power is on, it has a target throttle angle it is trying to hold, so you won't find it easy to move then.

Mendel Leisk likes this.