1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is It Possible to Change the Key Code of My Prius (Attempted Theft)?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by ArimosTX, Jan 29, 2022.

1. ArimosTX

ArimosTX Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I just had my gen 1 broken into at 2AM by a couple dudes. They broke the small triangular window in order to unlock the car. A neighbor was was leaving their house and they must have gotten scared and ran for it (I'm not missing anything that I can tell). My CAT was already stolen last year and I replaced it with a third party one. Were they trying to steal the entire car? They broke the window which must mean they didn't have a key but even if they did you need a coded key in order to start the car. I'm paranoid now so I'm wondering can I get the code for my car and key changed so if they somehow had an old coded key it would not work? Also, what's it going to cost me to replace the little triangular window?

#1 ArimosTX, Jan 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Triangular window in the rear door? $90 list price for the one on the right, left one shown as no longer available (which doesn't necessarily mean that no dealer anywhere has one).

But there are always recycled parts, and glass parts are usually pretty well covered in the aftermarket.

Door window replacements are usually good DIY projects; not hard to do, saves paying somebody labor.

You can change the registered electronic codes for the keys, the physical cut of the keys, or both, if you want.

As long as you have one master key in your possession (one that makes the red security LED go out immediately when put in the slot, not a couple seconds later), you can use the various programming procedures like "forget all programmed keys except this one", and the ones to register new keys. Any new key you register, you can choose to register as a master (whoever has it can use it to register other keys) or as a sub (works as a key, but not to register others).

From the factory, Toyota programs the ones with black overmolds to be masters, and the one with the gray overmold as a sub. (The gray one is also cut differently, and won't open the trunk; it's a "valet key".)

When you are programming your own, you can add any key as a master or as a sub, regardless of its color or cut. So really, the way to check whether some key you have is programmed as a master is to stick it in the slot and see what the security LED does, and the way to see if it's a valet cut is to try opening the trunk with it.

The easy, no-locksmith way of changing the physical cut was probably to buy a new "lock cylinder set", which would have a new set of keys and the four cylinders you'd need to replace (both doors, trunk, ignition), but those seem to be no longer available. Locksmiths may be able to take out the ones you have and re-bit them to fit a different key cut.

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I think........
    You are indeed being needlessly paranoid about this.
    And your money would be better spent being sure you have good insurance.
    :)

4. ArimosTX

ArimosTX Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After watching some videos I think I might be able to replace the window myself, will just have to check nearby junkyards for the part. On the Prius, the quarter window (which I now know it's called) is part of the door assembly so I think if I open up the door, I should be able to just take the quarter window out and replace it without advanced knowledge. Your probably right about the paranoia and i was just overacting due to recency bias. As I said before, if they had some type of key there would be no reason for them to break the window. I guess they were probably just trying to take some small things and maybe also get access to the trunk.

#4 ArimosTX, Jan 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I discovered a puzzling break-in one very cold morning, where again only the smallest possible window had been broken and nothing seemed missing, but everything on my back seat had been moved to the floor.

I stopped for breakfast at a diner I frequented, and griped about it to the server. Turned out the same thing had happened to her, but in her case it seemed the visitor got spooked and fled, leaving a pillow behind.

6. ArimosTX

ArimosTX Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So right after I posted my previous message I went outside to clean up the broken glass and turns out they must have come back at some point to finish the job. I had taped up the window and re-locked the doors before I went to bed. Now this morning the window was open again and the doors were unlocked. I had brought in most of the items in my car last night out of fear but not everything (left a battery bank, sunglasses, etc). They didn't take anything that I can tell. Were they really just trying to take the whole car? My 12v is on the verge of death so I have a kill switch and disconnect the battery when I'm not driving it. That might be the only thing that saved my car, twice; or what caused this attempted theft in the first place (no power for alarm). Can Prius' be hot-wired like any other car or do you really need a coded key to start it?

@ChapmanF, In your case and the server in your story, what do you think they were after if they didn't take anything? In my case I thought they didn't take anything cause they didn't have time and got spooked but they came back again and still didn't take anything. My only guess at this point is the car itself.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A place they didn't freeze to death that night.

8. ArimosTX

ArimosTX Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK So they WERE trying to steal my car! I hadn't noticed any damage besides the window last night until I went to clean up the mess just now. They drilled into the ignition to try to hot-wire it I guess. Sigh, now what do I do? If I get the ignition replaced do I have to get a new key and key code or is they key code checker not part of the damage? Also, what do I do moving forward after repair to prevent them from coming back and stealing my car. I feel helpless
    car - Copy.JPG

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Bastiges!

It looks like they messed up your lock cylinder (89709-47030) and pried off the antenna for reading the key chip (the black donut thing that used to go around where you put the key in, 89782-47010). Don't know if they took that donut with them or if you'll find it in the car somewhere.

I'm guessing the red and blue wires are what connect the control unit (89780-47010) to the donut. They aren't in my wiring diagram; you can see in the parts drawing, the computer just seems to have its own little stub cable that runs down to where the donut goes.

It's intriguing what the bastiges might have been doing with those two wires. The donut is just an antenna that carries the code from your key up to the computer, so it's not like they could just, you know, short those two wires together like in the movies and start the car up. They would have to simulate a signal that the antenna would have picked up from the chip in your key.

Maybe they have some kind of box that generates lots of key codes, and they hooked the antenna wires to that.

Looks like you'll need the lock cylinder, and the antenna donut if you can't find it in the car. Dealers still have the cylinder but they show the donut as NLA. Might get one from salvage.

The drawing shows a bunch of all-in-one kits that used to be available (one with a new computer, set of keys, and all four lock cylinders for the car; one with a new computer, pair of keys, and just the ignition cylinder) but not everything is still available for the 21 year old car.

Then ways of thwarting the attempts. A kill switch somewhere. Glass breakage alarm. Security cam. Um, blob of epoxy on the new connections to the antenna donut.

Hmm, get a spare key that's cut wrong and won't turn the lock. Leave it in the ignition and modify the shifter-in-Park interlock so it can't be pulled out. Have your neighborhood metal fabricator give it a big mushroom head.

The idea is that no single obstacle is guaranteed to stop the determined thief, but enough obstacles make them wonder why they're wasting their time on your car.

[​IMG]

10. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Hopefully your insurance will pay for the ignition repair.
    IF......you had a good battery in place, just the built-in alarm might have chased them away.
    Sometimes you are your own worst enemy.

11. ArimosTX

ArimosTX Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Funny you mention that because I have a kill switch on my battery currently and that is likely what stopped them from getting away with my car. However, I sacrificed the alarm that way too. I am now thinking of getting a kill switch to hook into the fuse box for just the ignition. This way I can have a kill switch for the ignition but still have the alarm.

So if I get a new lock cylinder and antenna donut from salvage, I don't need a new key since the code information is stored in the control unit and not the antenna itself? How do I deal with the physical fit? Can a locksmith make it so the salvage lock cylinder fits my old key?

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think so, probably, maybe depending on the locksmith.

13. ArimosTX

ArimosTX Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ChapmanF always so knowledgeable and active on the forum, thanks so much for your time. The drilling of the ignition has me confused. What does it accomplish? Is it so they can use some device to turn the cylinder or did they do it just to spite me and cause distress?

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My guess is with the lock cylinder out of the way, they could just stick a screwdriver into the switch slot and turn it to ON and to START.

But they would still somehow need to send signals that looked like your key code coming from the antenna.

15. AlexY

AlexY Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I suspect, first time they fitted and hide recorder to the antenna circuit so it could record code of original key. Also probably they cut the wire to alarm horn in engine compartment.

16. ArimosTX

ArimosTX Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The no alarm was my fault. As I mentioned above, my 12v battery is all but dead (won't start if I leave it sitting for a few hours) so I have a kill switch to disconnect the battery when I'm not driving it. Hence, no alarm. Alarm might have scared them away but no battery kept them from taking the car at least. Silver linings

17. AlexY

AlexY Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They didn't knew you have kill switch, I'm just guessing they cut the wire as precaution to make sure it don't wake up everyone when they break in. Just check alarm and normal horn if they both are functional.

18. ArimosTX

ArimosTX Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welp, just now I caught them in the middle of their third attempt to steal my car. I heard some noises outside and when I looked there was a car right next to mine and one was inside working on the ignition again. It was too far for me to read a license plate and I panicked so I immediately called 911 and flashed a light on them and they spooked and drove off. They even left the drill bit this time. The driver had called the other thief by name so that might help if they're ever caught.
    car 2 - Copy.JPG
    Since the previous attempt I have removed my 12v battery completely while I wait for my replacement lock cylinder. I have also taken another precautionary measure which I won't detail in the small chance they are on the forum ;). I'm gonna borrow some binoculars so on the next inevitable attempt I might catch a plate #. I'll then call 911 and just watch instead of scaring them away. Who knows how long the police would take to arrive anyways. I sure would like some justice.

#18 ArimosTX, Feb 1, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
  19. AlexY

AlexY Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Install GPS tracker and let them steal it.

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What on earth is making them so hot to have a twenty-one-year-old Prius?