1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

is it possible to drive off the lot with a '07 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by track 1, Feb 5, 2007.

1. track 1

track 1 New Member

or should i just get my hopes down. im looking to buy my first car ever.

2. Jimm

Jimm New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(track 1 @ Feb 5 2007, 07:51 PM) [snapback]385875[/snapback]</div>
    I doubt that you can get a new one "out the door" for that price. I paid pretty close to that price for a new Pkg 2 a couple of weeks ago but that was before T&L. Out the door it was over $24,000 (I'm in California and our sales tax is pretty high, I don't know what it is where you are). I think invoice is right around $22,000 so even if you could get one a couple hundred under invoice that would still put it well over $22,000 out the door.

3. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just tonight I saw on the tube that the San Diego County Totota dealers were advertising no interest loans on Prius. "Plenty to choose from." Not much help in Dallas, but perhaps you could surf them and use it as bargaining.

4. dylandog

dylandog New Member

According to Edmunds.com, a PKG #2 runs $21,999 at invoice ($20,419 base). I don't know what your tax rate is in Dallas, but you're definitely above $22K. I was able to get a PKG#6 for ~ $700 over invoice with a lot of haggling with the Internet sales Guy (I did a lot of research into EVERY dealership within 75 miles of me). Good luck with your search. If you're not too stuck on a 2007.... try CarMax for a 2006, you may get something better than a PKG#2 ;)

5. scoot

scoot Member

...also, look on eBay. But avoid the one with the salvage title (IMHO).

6. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Howdy track 1 [from a fellow Dallasite & Prius driver]

I traded my 2004 Prius for a 2007 Touring Edition last November at a Dallas dealer and at that time North Texas dealers were beginning to get Prius actually in stock. I don't recall seeing any "Package 2" in stock at that time, rather they seemed to be getting Package 4, 5 and a few 6.

It appears that many Dallas and other North Texas dealers have Prius in stock and some indicate willingness to "deal" on them. I recently received email from Toyota of Irving offering $100 above "Invoice." Try logging in to Toyota.com - "Find local specials" - Enter your ZIP - Select a Dealer - "Find Your Next Toyota" - Enter "2007 trhen Prius" - SEARCH - Click the "Status" column twice to sort by "In Stock" and "Available" Following that procedure, I'm not seeing Package 2's but I only checked one dealer. The "Available" represents Prius in a "Pool" available to all Regional dealers, "In Stock" means they have that Prius on their lot. I traded with Cowboy Toyota since their deal was more than $2,500 better than other offers at the time. If you call them, ask for Roland Crenshaw [Internet Manager] or Donna Estep [Fleet Manager].

Perhaps you've already gone through the Toyota.com exercise. I spent a lot of time on that procedure and shopped 5 dealers before I made my November deal.

GOOD LUCK finding a Prius in your budget range. I've enjoyed both Prius in my 2+ year Prius experience.

7. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would just add that about a month after I bought my Prius, I was still getting email offers from dealers I had contacted -- some with really great deals. You might try signing up for internet quotes via the Toyota site above as Charles suggested or via dealer sites directly. Come the end of February, when the salesmen are trying to make their monthly numbers, you might be able to get something closer to the price you want (assuming the Texas dealers have package 2's around -- a circumstance to which I profess total ignorance).

8. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not that it will help this post all to much, but there may be hope for you, I bought my 07 Touring with package #5 for $1000 under MSRP, jsut threaten to walk alot and take someone with you, and act like its up to them and that you nee to talk it over, it worked for me, I got a great deal on my trade and a free year of oil changes+Tire rotations. or I would also suggest that you practice purchase, go to the lot test drive, make an offer and then back out at the last minute, it'll help for haggling nerves to be calm for the actual buy. :p

9. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    But don't be a total jerk or anything if you expect to use the same dealer for service. My wife and I had a great salesperson and we bought ours back in October and paid a little over MSRP for our Base 07 Barcelona Red. We didn't have to threaten anybody, and frankly, if I had to act like that I wouldn't buy from that dealer. Buying a car doesn't have to be a threaten this or that experience. Stay cool and calm, wait them out.

My brother in law had a great tactic. He showed up on the car lot late in the evening, around 8pm, and made his offer calm and polite. It was December 31st, the last day of the year. He told them this is how much I am offering. They came out and tried to up the amount, but he politely declined and made the same offer again. He stayed outside, wouldn't even go in to the office area where they try to get you. He was paying cash for a 1992 Camry in 1996. It was getting late, around 9pm, and he was still out on the lot waiting. Finally they gave in, gave him his price, and he got a real cream puff of a Camry that they have driven a lot and still drive to this day, they have around 180k on it and it's still going strong.

Dave

10. allargon

allargon Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(track 1 @ Feb 5 2007, 09:51 PM) [snapback]385875[/snapback]</div>
    It is definitely possible if you add $500 to that. Toyota is now offering *incentives* on the Prius. The tourings are a bit harder to come by. Stay out of Austin. If you must, check Charles Maund. Classic (great dealership for service) and Champion probably won't deal. I would check East Texas if I were you. I saw a dealer in Beaumont with quite a few Pree's on the lot. The tax credit is only $700 or so these days so they will need to be more creative. (That $3k tax credit before pretty much meant any MSRP Prius was bought at invoice!)

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...E/70205007/1528

Package #2 MSRP's for $24k. However, be warned that most cars on the lot will have the Extra Mile Option Package A, B, C, etc. You can decline ALL of that (especially that !@#$ing pinstriping) even if it's on the sticker. I wish I had known that. I paid nearly $28K for my non-nav Pree. (FTR, I paid MSRP for a Touring package #3 with Extra Mile Package C and a leather interior upgrade.)

Here's a driftwood pearl package #2 and a leather upgrade in Baton Rouge. (I bet you can get invoice or below for driftwood pearl or pine mica. I'm not so sure about seaside pearl. A lot of women I've met love that color.)

http://www.priceleblanctoy.com/NewInventor...InventorySearch

They want $25,672.00 for it. You can tell them to keep the leather interior, the security system and the floormats and offer them $22K.

Staying in TX, here's a magnetic grey (My favorite of the colors!) with package #2, leather and extra mile option B. They want $26,316.00. There's no way they sell that many Prius' in Beaumont. I bet they will take $22.5K (I'd offer them $21.9K) for it if you decline the leather and the extra mile option B.

http://www.kinseltoyota.com/NewInventoryDe...InventorySearch

Good luck!

**Small Rant**
    BTW, the toyota.com quote was lousy for me. They sent me to Champion who emailed me and told me if I wanted to test drive a Prius to go to Enterprise. Fortunately, Classic actually had one touring on the lot that I took home that day.
    **End of Rant**

11. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Couple of quotes:

"But don't be a total jerk or anything if you expect to use the same dealer for service."

More often than not, Dealer Sales and Service Departments are considered seperate operations. I found and use a Service Department unrelated to either Prius [2004 and 2007] dealer from whom I bought the Prius. Many Service Departments are happy to service your Prius regardless of where you bought it since they are paid for their services either by Toyota on warranty service or by you on other service. I insist on no dealer advertisements on my car like a logo. If they provide a license plate frame, I remove it as soon as my permanent plates arrive.

Tax Credit on Prius delivered prior to March 1, 2007 is $1,575 unless you are subject to the AMT tax provision. "Alternative Minimum Tax"

12. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Feb 6 2007, 12:40 PM) [snapback]386205[/snapback]</div>
    I agree, I bought my car in Colorado Springs since they could obviously offer more on my trade then here in town, and now I will get my car serviced at my local Dealer, OH yea