1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it possible to have a fuel tank that only holds three or four gallons of gas?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by qmanqman, Jan 17, 2024.

1. qmanqman

qmanqman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I recently repaired my combination meter and now I have the two blinks pause, two blinks pause of the fuel gauge. I believe it has something to do with a connection that I may have not loose. Anyway my fuel gauge is currently starts out full goes down two or three lips and then jumps down to one or two blips left. I've only driven 110 Mi so I'm assuming I haven't burned all that gas. Is it possible that my fuel tank isn't holding what it should?

2. qmanqman

qmanqman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    As I'm driving I got six blips now.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there is a bladder in the gen 2 tank that can be affected by age and temperature

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That's right so there's something probably going on with the sending unit in the tank or there's something wrong with the gauge repair I believe that's possible so if you did it yourself you may want to go back and have a look possibly or take a look at the wiring for the fuel gauge and all that which is back under the seat in the back under a plate that's glued down It's a big gray plug you can pull up anyway it's a tricky situation because none of that stuff I don't think is replaceable You're stuck replacing the tank.

5. qmanqman

qmanqman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Before the combo meter repair , if the dash would light up, all was normal. Gonna look into it this weekend.

6. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just in case you find the issue is not with the gauges or senders, I had bladder issues on one Prius due to old age but the issue happened all of a sudden. It would literally shut the pump off after putting in a gallon or two into an empty tank at times.

My quote from that thread
    "I get the symptom lately where it goes from 3 pips on the gas gauge to 1 pretty quickly and when I refill it takes about 4 gallons and reports back full or close to full."

When I posted here suggestions were to always refill when you have no less than 3 pips left. also never fill past the first shutoff on a normally working Prius. If you overfill it could get into some of the pipes behind the drivers side wheel well that work to trigger the shutoff
    I think it may have helped but when I had fuel pump shutoff issues on a almost empty tank it sometimes helped to turn the pump nozzle upside down while filling

hopefully your tank bladder goes back to its functional operation and then never let it get below 3 pips and don’t top off

#6 Frontporch, Jan 17, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2024