1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it possible to mod a Lexus 400h into plug-in hybrid?

Discussion in 'Lexus Hybrids and EVs' started by ElRoi, Nov 6, 2009.

1. ElRoi

ElRoi New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, I am new to the forum. I own a 2008 Lexus 400h and I was wondering if it is possible to modify this vehicle into a plug-in hybrid? I apologize if this question has already been broached and if so, could someone please direct me to the thread in which it was discussed.

2. ljbad4life

ljbad4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: Is it possible to mode a Lexus 400h into plug-in hybrid?

I guess the battery packs that work with the prius like the high motion should work with the 400h.

1 person likes this.
  3. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

They could yes but as far as I know there are no plans for it.

Your best bet is the Enginer kit. It is designed to work with any hybrid. The only issue is the battery box which you have to make your self or have the company build one and the output voltage which can be programmed to just about anything. At least thats what I know about the system.

Enginer has a battery in a gen 1, 2, and 3 Prius, and a gen 1 Insight. Dont know of any others yet.

1 person likes this.
  4. ljbad4life

ljbad4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

I understand that, but in my mind the HSD in the RX 400h operates in the same manner as the Prius. The only thing that would prevent you from using the Hymotion is securing it to the floor I guess. send them an email to make sure. I know of one TCH that has a hymotion battery in it. they run about 10k.

1 person likes this.
  5. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Does the RX400h have an EV button? If it does not you would not get much benefit from the Hymotion battery because the programming uses the EV mode. Plus I'm sure all the CAN bus commands for spoofing the SOC are changed so the Hymotion battery would have to be reprogrammed.

If you want a simple solution that will work the only one available would be the Enginer kit since it is a simple design and does not rely on spoofing the SOC. Its almost plug and play with any hybrid.

[email protected] and dave77 like this.
  6. ljbad4life

ljbad4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

I don't think the RX 400h (2008) do, but the new RX 450h does have a ev button. Well the best bet is to look into both avenues before going through with it. Best of luck and keep us posted on how the "upgrade" goes.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Our 400h has a knockout plug (similar to our '04 Prius) where one CAN install the EV mode button. BTW, from one of our correspondences with Jack regarding the enginer kit:

"... Yes, RS400H needs 4KWH system ..." Just in case you're wondering about the size of the pack.

Regarding the comment above about, "... securing it (the pack) to the floor ..." ?? You can put the components in the storage compartment under the rear deck, just like in the Prius. We haven't decided whether to convert our 400h to a PHEV, or wait & see what's available 2010.

1 person likes this.
  8. ElRoi

ElRoi New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks so much everyone for all the information. You all have given a good start.

9. subdewd

subdewd Junior Member

So how would one access EV mode? Are the instuctions the same as in the prius?
    I have been looking at the enginer system as well and am intruiged with the idea but
    wonder of the utility with lack of EV. If you proceed make sure you write it up.
    As has been posted very MPG gain for us is a higher % gain than w/a prius.

10. billysbarn

billysbarn New Member

I know this is a very late reply, but I have just found your post!
    Can you tell me where the knockout plug is on the 400h and how to to install the EV mode please?

I have bought an Enginer kit and it is almost completely installed under the boot floor!

As supplied, before dismantling it to fit it under the boot I was getting between 50 and 80 MPG (UK gals) and over 99.9 mpg by driving carefully on country roads in my Lexus 400H!!!
    Cheers
    Billy

LasVegasaurusRex likes this.
  11. snaslund22

snaslund22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I also have a 2008 Lexus 400h. Did you install the EV button? If so, please let me know. Thanks.

12. snaslund22

snaslund22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Has anyone found if the 400h is capable of using an electric-only button? If so, please let me know.

13. snaslund22

snaslund22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Hello and thank you for this forum. i was hoping for help. Please let me know how successful you were with the engined kit as well as installing the electric only mode button.

14. Jands

Jands New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Interesting...at a guess I'd say that 50 - 80 uk mpg is achievable with the Enginer in a 400h...but 99.9 uk mpg? over what distance and average speed did you get 99.9?

Which Enginer kit you got?
    Did you do the install yourself?
    Did you have to get Enginer to modify anything in the kit first?
    Any comments on the install/kit?

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV

What with only one post, and several months ago, I doubt billysbarn will even see this ... but here goes anyway. Here's a picture of the TWO BLANKS on our 2006 RX-400h. It was built early ... around August 2005, so your model may not have the knock-outs. Other's can reply whether they do or not. There's ONE knock out in plain view, and the another knockout behind the door that conceals the side mirrors & rear powr door controls:

[​IMG]

I opted to install our EV switch behind the little door, rather than the one in plain view ... that way it wouldn't raise any potential issues when we brought it in for service (which I now do my self, anyway) for fluids and filters. Here's a pic of the spot where our knockout was, behind the little door ... prior to the switch install:

[​IMG]

And lastly, a pic of the switch:

[​IMG]

I believe I posted these pics originally on the Lexus site about 5 years ago, but I can't find them now. Anyway, back then, there was this guy on ebay selling original buttons that he'd imported from Japan (they have 'em in the EU as well). So I bought one for the Gen II Prius as well as the 400h.

So, what's the deal . . . you other people who either have an RX or HiHy . . . you mean you don't have either of these two knockouts so you can install the EV button? I've never checked any others. Anyway, the wiring is easily accessable, and the splice-in instructions are posted here on PC and elsewhere. Heck, if you can't find an original EV button, I believe coastaletech.com sells 'em ...
    http://www.coastaletech.com/
    ... and of course the instructions are included. wiring colors are identical ... then there are other aftermarket companies. Let's see ... john has an install guide too on his web site. Our 400h is the AWD version, and yes ... it was designed to run EV (in other countries ... EPA wouldn't permit it here) so it's not going to hurt anything. Use the button too long ... say a couple miles for our AWD version, and BOOM, you end up getting WORSE mpg's because more gas is used to recharge the traction pack. Lastly, NO, we do not have a plug in kit yet. Everyone will have to make their own inquiries as to what pack(s) they may want to consider ... but as far as I know ... only the engineer kit is "off the shelf" ready for the 400h/hyhi/escape SUV hybrids.

EDIT:
    Ok, for all you lazies out there, here's a link to the japanese OEM button (instructions are NOT in english though):
    http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/jdm/prius/nhw20_int.php

16. snaslund22

snaslund22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Thanks so much for the great message hill. I will look for it every day, but if anyone finds a website selling them, please let me know or post it here so I can purchase one myself. Thanks again everyone, especially Hill.

17. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

If someone wants to buy me a 400h, I'll come up with a system like mine! ;-)

18. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV

eek - double post

19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I turn 15 shades of green, with envy when I look at your work . . . . and another 15 shades, wishing I had the skills. Well . . . we can't afford to BUY you one, but if you ever want a donor car, I'll be glad to drive ours over to you ... pay for all the parts, and let you use it as often and long as you want, whenever you visit either MT or so CA.
    :rockon:

20. billysbarn

billysbarn New Member

Hi Hill!
    Yes I have finally seen your kind reply...at last several months later!!! Thanks for that.
    I had to delete your message in my reply as the system kept refusing to send due to the fact there were URL's in it...I think that was the reason!

Now the tricky bit!
    How and where did you actually connect the switch?
    From another posting ( forget where) I saw that the '04 American Prius connection is made to block H14, terminal hole 27.
    Does that apply to the 400h, and if so where is it located?
    Many thanks for all your time and effort with your previous reply.
    Billy