1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it possible to turn off the seat belt chime?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JW87, Aug 22, 2012.

1. JW87

JW87 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it possible to turn off the seat belt chime? If so how?

Thanks!!

2. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. But the easiest way to fix the problem is to fasten the seat-belt.

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I turn it off every time I drive.
    I take the metal tab at the end of that grey belt looking thingy, and insert it into the slot in the square doo-dad on the right hand side of the seat.

Normally? I'm not a big government regulation kinda guy.
    I think that if you're 21 years old, and you're stupid enough to drive without a seatbelt in a Prius sized car? In traffic? Then your genetic material should be removed from the pool before you've had a chance to reproduce.

However (comma!) since my beloved Government is getting into the health care biz? I think I have a stake in this now.
    I believe that LEOs should be catching rapists, and breaking down doors to meth labs instead of trying to thwart the beneficial effects of natural selection, but since they're at it, and since I have to pay higher insurance premiums for people who "want to turn off their seat belt chime" they should up the fine to like...$1,000.

Rant out.
    Sorry if this hurts your feelings.
    At least you're not one of the morons that try to defeat the VSS lockout on your GPS unit.

If your dealer shares my feelings about seat belt use and refuses to disable the chime? You might be able to get and use a tool like a Scangauge ($165 or so) I'm not sure if this tool will be able to disable the seatbelt chime since I don't have one, but they do disable the reverse beeeeeeeep.
    Failing all of this, you might be able to unplug or otherwise remove the wire(s) going into the seatbelt receptacle.
    I haven't done this either, but it's not rocket science. There's either one wire that's looking for a ground (metal piece/part) or two wires looking for a short or open. Sometimes you get lucky and all you have to do is unplug the wires.
    If all else fails....fasten the seatbelt and sit on it---or find something to insert into the receptacle to make it think that you have a three digit IQ.

Good Luck.
    Sorry again.....but I hope you get nailed by LEO before Mr. Newton gets a hold of you! ;)

AzWxGuy likes this.
  4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, depending if you have a Gen 2, Gen 3, Prius v, or Prius C there are different procedures. You have posted this in Gen 2 but claim not to have a Prius. Here is the instructions for a 2008 Prius, to do better I need more clues what you own.

Disabling the Reverse Beep | PriusChat

(I never disabled mine, I like the people I share my Prius with)

5. JW87

JW87 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry i do need to change that. I just bought a 2006 a few weeks ago. Thanks ETC. I agree i am not one to not wear the seat belt but it is very annoying when i pull up somewhere to drop off a friend and he takes his seat belt off while we are sitting in the driveway talking and all i can hear is that damn beep even when i am stopped. There is my rant ;)

Thanks for the help guys!

6. JW87

JW87 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    oh btw that does not work for my 06. It does disable the backup beeps but the seat belt beeps are still on. Thanks though!

7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    JW87 you do not say where you are from and this is relevant as in the UK and Europe it is not possible on the gen2 cars to turn off the seat belt warning.

Not the OP's fault but another instance where at leased a country of origin in the avatar should be compulsory. This information is required even for some things that seem trivial, drivers side/passengers side different depending on whether right or left hand drive, wheel rim (tyre sizes), fuel tank with or without bladder, heat recovery storage tank differences, and component positions etc. PC is worldwide not just US, no offence implied.

John. (Britprius).

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, The less they tell us, the less we can help.

9. JW87

JW87 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Guys,
    Sorry i have updated my information. I live in Michigan and i have a gen2 prius(2006 prius)

Thanks! :)

10. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Not your fault but it does help considerably.

John.

11. AZGeek

AZGeek Semi-informed Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have been unsuccessful ( :confused::mad::cry:) in disabling the seat belt beep with a ScanGauge II using the XGauge codes.
    I wear the seat belt when driving, but want to disable the dang thing when I am not going to be driving (i.e. working on the car while in the driver's seat). I was able to disable the reverse beep, so I know the Scan Gauge / XGauge works.

Here are the codes I have in XGauge:
    TXD =07C03BA700
    RXF =047B15A7000
    RXD = 2008
    MTH =000100010000
    NAM =SBS

I have triple checked the values entered into ScanGauge II, and have confirmed via the seat belt query that the code has been set, have displayed the code on the Gauge panel, yet I still get the annoying beeps when I start the car without the seat belt fastened.

Anyone else had this problem and get it solved??? I've seen others with Model 5s and ATP that have disabled this.

12. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Wow, nice first post ...