1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it Prudent to Neutral at 60 mph Down a Hill ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusNeckBeard, Nov 8, 2016.

1. PriusNeckBeard

PriusNeckBeard Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    >> Re: "...it is important not to coast to a high speed down a hill in neutral, it might overspeed MG1."

I'd that true in a Gen 3 ?

I've actually been in Neutral all kinds of times, including when coasting down a hill at 75 (!) mph, as my nod to hypermiling. Basically, i go into neutral every time I pull my foot off the gas pedal.

Thoughts ? !! ?

2. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I seems like you're loosing out on the benefits of regenerative braking doesn't it? The only times I ever shifted to "N" was to avoid my hybrid battery filling to the top, keeping the car from doing a negative recalibration of the hybrid battery (this was on my first Prius)

3. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I do not understand why do you want to be in "N" while coasting............:confused:

fuzzy1 and Paradox like this.
  4. PriusNeckBeard

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    If I stay in Drive, regenerating is not 100% efficient. Some energy is lost to heat.

Whereas, in Neutral, 100% of my kinetic energy is used for moving the car forward.

Basically, I'd rather use 100% of the available force to move the car now, than to regeneratively brake and use 60% of the amount sent to braking later.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes. The hardware limit seems to have jumped from 42 to 62 MPH where the engine MUST run to protect M/G1. Toyota added a second planetary gear raise this threshold.

It is very unlikely you will get better MPG in N than in D, as all braking is then friction braking, with no regen.

While the engine is revolving, it is safe to be in N at any speed. Not productive, but safe. The unsafe bit is putting it in N at a low speed with the engine stopped, then coasting to a high (over 62 MPH) speed. In N the engine can neither start nor stop, so M/G1 is at risk.

0 to 62 engine may or may not revolve in N, cannot start or stop revolving.
    62 to 115 engine must revolve, even in N. If it does not, damage may occur to M/G1.

6. PriusNeckBeard

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Man, I hate to say this, but my brain is not fully on this morning....up too late last night..

Jim, what is a practical, step by step rule I could follow?

I.e. below 62 mph, it's ok to shift into neutral, but above 62, do not do this? Something like that.

Also, for this rule, what if I'm going down a hill at 58 mph, I put it in Neutral to save a tiny amount of gas, but then the hill is sterp enough to bring me ABOVE 62 mph ?
    PNB

Follow up question:
    I've broken the rule.
    What damage may have been done?
    What should I do about it?

BTW I thought coasting (or, feathering the gas pedal so the car doesn't use the battery while coating) was a hallmark of hepermiling ?

#6 PriusNeckBeard, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2016
  7. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota is required by law to have an N. You are never required to use it. The only time I ever recommend N is about once a month, if needed, stop in N to clear rust off the rotors.

Ohio does not appear to prohibit coasting downhill, as many states do.

#7 JimboPalmer, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I feather the gas pedal when coasting to avoid charging.

When you're in Neutral IIRC there's no charging. I just leave it in D 95% of time. Use B (sparingly) on extreme downhill runs, just to forestall fully charged battery.

Rolling downhill at 75 mph sounds dangerous. And possibly damaging, though I don't really know. The only time I use Neutral is when rolling a wheel into contact with curb when parking.

Yeah, from page 175 of the 2010 Owner's Manual:

upload_2016-11-8_6-56-13.png

9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  10. GT4Prius

GT4Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
    You can achieve zero regen and zero energy use by careful use of the right position of what you U.S. folk call the "gas pedal". The energy monitor will show you when this happening. Far safer for you and the car than using neutral IMHO!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

briank, CR94, glutaman and 1 other person like this.
  11. PriusNeckBeard

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Not issues for me. I'm in command of the car.

Also I don't do this if busy, tired, distracted, etc.

Feathering and watching the screen instead of the road is not for me.

It sounds like it may be bad for MG1 above 62 mph. I'll avoid that.

Thanks!

PNB

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are above 46 MPH and in D, the engine is already spinning. You can safely shift to N without putting MG1 at risk. Legality and personal safety are another matter.

If you are moving below 46 MPH, the engine may or may not be spinning, depending on conditions. The mechanical danger happens if the engine is not spinning, and you shift to N, and you then roll up to a too high speed (e.g. greater than 62, though other sources are more conservative and suggest lower limits).

When the car is moving, MG1 must spin faster when the engine is not spinning.

CR94 likes this.
  13. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You could just press the accelerator enough to negate regen braking...with is effectively the same as being in N but without losing the ability to have power on demand.

briank, CR94 and Aaron Vitolins like this.
  14. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Neutral does a lot more than turn off the regen. It essentially turns off the Synergy drive. This is probably not a good thing. There has been a lot of discussion about this on PC. Do a search.

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  15. GT4Prius

GT4Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
  16. grnd0

grnd0 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  17. b100

b100 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Its the same topic dude...

18. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The N position in a Prius emulates a Neutral to the driver, but does not resemble the Neutral in any other car. No gears or clutches disengage. The electric motors are just disconnected electrically. There are no MPG advantages using N and frequently it will get worse MPG by a minuscule amount. (The engine will be idling instead of being an air pump, and there is no regeneration if the motors are not electrically connected)

That said, if the EV light is out, it is safe and if the EV light is on it is still safe so long as you do not gain speed.

While it is illegal in any state with mountains, it seems to be legal in Ohio.

What car did you get? The Prius is computer controlled, you only give an opinion.

#18 JimboPalmer, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2016
    fuzzy1 likes this.
  19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gen2 anyways better to go into B mode for engine braking after the battery is full. What's happening when the batt is full is the real brake pads are getting used for stopping, vs regen braking...I assume that's in N too. Going into N is not recommended in most cases.

20. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Going down long hills, or twisty mountain roads in my Prius scares the crap out of me.

There seems like there's no way to slow the car down, other than riding the brake pedal the whole way. The B mode doesn't seem to do anything to slow the car. It was nice in my Camry, when I could down shift into third or second gear, and the car would stay at a fairly steady downhill speed and I didn't have to use the brakes as often.

There is no bloody way, I would drive my Prius down mountain roads that are snowy or icy. The car just feels too unpredictable.