1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it safe to have tires installed outside the dealership?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by butterballz, Jul 2, 2017.

1. butterballz

butterballz New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Hi I'm thinking of getting new tires for my Prius V wagon 2012. Is it safe to have tires installed at a non dealership garage? Also do you have any recommendations about what tires to get?

2. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think using an independent shop that is reputable is not only safe, but preferable. I never let the stealership touch my car except for warranty repairs.

TheRainman, RRxing and Merkey like this.
  3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Michelins at Costco. Good price plus free rotations, repairs and nitrogen for life.

Merkey likes this.
  4. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    After dismounting your old tires, may want to have the tire shop check your TPMS sensor batteries. Don't know how much longer than 5 years they can be expected to last.

5. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Yes, of course, as long as the garage has proper equipment and competent personnel. Indeed, the technicians in a tire and wheel shop are likely to have more experience mounting and balancing tires than a dealer’s would.

Regardless of who installs them, you’ll want to be sure that new tires are of the correct size and rating, of course. If the transmitters in each tire for the tire pressure warning system (TPMS) are replaced, as is often done when new tires are installed, the ID codes for the new transmitters will need to be registered with the car’s computer. This task can be done with a Toyota Techstream diagnostic system or equivalent, but many vehicles have TPMS now, and tire installers should know what to do. I’m not aware of any other special considerations for tire replacement on Prius cars; the hybrid system doesn’t affect the process at all.

I don’t have specific tire recommendations, but if you haven’t already, you may want to review NHTSA’s TireWise website, which has general information for tire purchasers.

6. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    http://www.tires.com

Search for your local shop. The only place to go. They will match/beat any legitimate price, including Costco or Sam's Club.

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You should have 205/60-16 tires, you want Low Rolling Resistance tires LRR

Yokohama BluEarth S34 - Size: P205/60R16
    Bridgestone TURANZA EL400-02
    Michelin ENERGY SAVER A/S

were the stock tires Toyota chose.

Sooner Al likes this.
  8. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Just out of curiosity, I queried tirerack.com looking for a price on the Michelin A/S Energy Savers. They have what appears to be exactly the same tires listed twice with different prices, different by as much as $50+ a set. Anyone know any technical differences? They have exactly the same look, same ratings, same traction and heat ratings.

9. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Date codes or LRR ratings may differ. Older is now cheaper, as is less LRR compliance..

10. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    A dedicated tire shop (I use Mavis Discount Tires) is always a good bet. As for specific replacement tires, there are numerous threads on here which discuss the pros and cons.

11. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Speculation or fact?

I know Michelin has used the same marketing names for tires with differing characteristics. For my Porsche I had to do lots of research and get down to the SKU level before I could figure out which tire was N rated (a Porsche approval of construction and handling characteristics). Those were over $1100 per 4-tire set so it made a difference. You absolutely couldn't tell any difference from the marketing literature.

And to stay on the OP's topic, even on that car (with its $600+ per wheel) I had a tire dealer install and balance the tires while I watched with before pictures they knew I had taken on their lot so there could be no dispute. On my wife's Acura, they found three wheels that were not true and showed me how they were wobbling and causing unusual wear on my tires. I want tire experts and have found most will pretty much match online prices.

#11 mikefocke, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  12. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The discount priced ones usually note an old manufacture date, so I agree. N spec, TPC (Cadillac V series), BMW Star, MO Mercedes are listed on TireRack....

13. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Facts. Since NHTSA came out with their tire dating and maximum age recommendations (as have numerous car manufacturers at six years max), new old stock has declined in value.Same tires produced on different dates often exhibit different LRR and tire grade characteristics (competitive upgrades occur continuously)..

#13 Air_Boss, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017