1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it safe to repeated accelerate out of EV mode?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Ronn82727, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Ronn82727

Ronn82727 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Does anyone know if it's 100% safe for the car to repeatedly accelerate out of EV mode quickely?

The reason I ask is because where I live people on the highway accelerate quickely. I try to stay in the EV range up to 15 mph but, when I do someone is up my rear end.
    However, when I accelerate manually in EV mode I can accelerate up to 25mph with the flow of traffic.

My concern with repeatedly accelerating up 25 mph in EV mode will be harder ( lessen the life ) on the battery or the transmission or the electric motors.

I'm guessing it's safe for the electric motors and the transmission because the plug in prius can accelerate up to 62mph and it's fine.
    However th

So does anyone know for sure if it's 100% safe for the car to repeatedly accelerate out of EV mode?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, it is totally safe, that's what the car was designed for and has shown no ill effects for the last 20 years. basically, after the engine warms up, you're almost always accelerating out of ev mode. but keep in mind, trying to stay in ev is seriously bad for your mpg's.

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Drive normally, keep up with traffic. It's Prius drivers like you trying to eke out every mpg that generate the Prius hate out there. Sorry for the rant, but people see a Prius and already assume they have to get around them, because they don't want to get stuck behind "that slow Prius."

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    too late.

5. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's not only safe, it's encouraged. You get better fuel economy by not driving in EV mode.

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Unfortunately, that's not what the OP is asking. The OP wants to use EV Mode by pressing the EV button to force the Prius to accelerate up to 25 mph without the gas engine assist that would normally kick in at 10 to 15 mph.

To the OP, you get best economy by accelerating moderately and getting up to speed in Normal or Eco mode (if you must), but most likely you will get into the range where the ICE will kick in to assist.

By forcing your Prius to use EV mode, you are depleting the charge in the battery, which will need to be replenished sooner than later. Where do you think the generated electricity for the traction battery comes from? That's right, the gas engine. ;)

Coast Cruiser and mmmodem like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but what he really wants to know is, will it hurt anything.

8. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  9. Ronn82727

Ronn82727 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Haha thanks for the lovely comments. Well when I press the EV button I can accelerate quicker (with the flow of traffic) than if I just stay in the ev range and then accelerate into the ICE range.
    And yes I know where the electricity comes from. The highway I drive my battery is recharged back to where it was by they time I stop again.

bisco likes this.
  10. Ronn82727

Ronn82727 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So after looking around I'm going to guess it's not safe to quickely and repeatedly accelerate past 25mph in EV mode. Here is my reasoning
    The Plug in Prius has a heavier-duty cooling system, with the heat exchanger, cooling fan, and inverter all being upgraded from the standard prius.
    So, I am guessing that is the reason Toyota only allows us to gently accelerate to 16mph in the EV range instead of quickely up to 25mph. The cooling system probably can't handle heat.

What do you guys think?

11. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    And do you know what you propose uses more fuel?
    I disagree. It's perfectly safe. Toyota makes it a gentle acceleration because as I said above, you use less fuel in hybrid mode. Forcing EV uses more fuel. The EV button is for situations where you don't want the engine to come on. I.e. Reparking the car and I can't really think of another. It's a pretty useless button. Some say it's for European cities with noise ordinances and it allows the Prius to drive through, but I don't know anything about that.

12. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just drive the car. The on board computer is compiling your driving habits and is constantly adjusting for optimum gas mileage. I drove 65 miles on the highway last week and got 52 mpg!! Hadn't seen that in a long time. My theory why is because the computer got use to the stop and go, up slight upgrade, down slight downgrade road I took. I drive in ECO mode all the time, then, when the occasional idiot in the 4 x 4 with tattoos blanketing his face tries to pass me, I wait till we are at a curve, push PWR mode, and glide true the curve while the idiot tries to take the curve in his up to high oversized gas guzzling tank. .......always funny to see.

Coast Cruiser and mmmodem like this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't think you can hurt the car. do whatever pleases you. not sure how the pip fits into your plan though.

14. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    You can't hurt the car just by driving it. Within the limits of sharing the road politely, accelerate any way you like. The car will chirp at you if it thinks you're doing something really stupid.

The battery/electric motor combo gives excellent low end torque, so the car is designed to use it when needed. If you need it after every stop sign, the car doesn't care.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you should stop accelerating out of ev mode before you hurt yourself.

#15 bisco, Aug 17, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  16. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Interesting discussion aside from the demonstration of road rage techniques.

Without checking the owner's manual...I too thought the EV button was for parking in a garage or moving around a parking lot...not for road way use.

I don't understand how EV only to 25 mph acelerates faster than the ICE w/ battery support.

Anyway, to answer the OP question...I have no idea if it causes any issues...perhaps a higher drain rate on the battery.
    One would have to research if a faster drain rate shortens battery life.
    Also, I can't offer any comment on the cooling system functions, although interesting theories to confirm.

Bottom line...my suggestion, let the computer sort it all so remain in regular mode.

Have fun.