1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured is it true BMW "Plug In Hybrid" lacks "CRG" feature???

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by The Big Sleaze, Nov 17, 2021.

1. The Big Sleaze

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    my doctor's wife gots one and I was mentioning my Prime's "CRG" setting to charge up battery while driving around with engine and he was clueless and asked him again 6weeks later and he said it don't seem to have and only Plug In for Batt.

BMW youtubes seem to confirm. Then again ALL Toyota dealers where clueless and this seems to be an almost hidden feature (but its my fave).

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Since 2016, we've had a 2014 BMW i3-REx. The lack of commanded charging from the range extender was always a problem but there is a workaround.

If you are on a hilly route, maximize regeneration on the downgrades or existing a divided highway and cycle the REx enable. This resets the threshold to a larger SOC, usually adding 2-4%. I call it 'pumping the battery.'

Having a higher, battery SOC means driving around urban areas on EV instead of gas. It also increases the 'safety range' on EV should the gas run out.

Bob Wilson

3. The Big Sleaze

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    that doesn't sound too good, Bob.

I'm able to get at least 25% more battery charged up coming down from Sierras and without really trying or paying much attention over IIRC maybe 20 miles of mixed driving mostly downhill. The recovery on the Prime is good enough I'll intentionally run the batt down when I know I'm going to be heading down hill soon. I hope your BMW at least handles real nice.

4. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a way of programming hold mode into an i3 Rex using bimmercode

that way you can turn on or off the motor when you want

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In general, charging from a car engine that is also propelling the car is less efficient than the electric generation supplying the outlet. This makes Charge mode like EV mode in a plain hybrid. Something that could be useful under limited circumstances, but easily becomes a wasteful gimmick.

So the i3 Rex not having charge mode isn't a big deal. What is a big deal is the limitations BMW agreed to in order to get more ZEV credits. That meant the driver could go to hybrid mode to maintain battery charge for later use.

Merkey and bwilson4web like this.