1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it true that you can't always get what you want?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by acadiaphile, May 30, 2006.

1. acadiaphile

acadiaphile Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Following a horrible crash last week (all hail, airbags!) I am now in the market for a new car. My DH and I are very interested in a 2006 Prius (#1 color choice: Seaside Pearl; #2 Barcelona Red) but I am peeved at the idea that we may have to pay nearly $2,000 for VSC. We're in the Mid-Atlantic Region and the cheapest option package with VSC is $3,205 (HK #6). If they transfer a vehicle from the New York Region, they could get us a VSC-containing package for $3,205 (HI #5). According to the Prius brochure the HG package (#4) has VSC and lists for $1,825. But I can't figure out where such cars are actually available. I like the dealer (we bought a Sienna from them 18 mos. ago) but they've said that the best they could do is look around for a HI package.

What's the story with this? I don't want to pay more than MSRP. I don't want to wait more than a couple months (insurance pays for rental for a month--I could probably cobble together something for a while after that, but not indefinitely).

On the other hand, is VSC overrated? I definitely want side airbags (I LOVE airbags right now! :D ) And the least expensive option in the Mid-Atlantic Region is the HF Package (#3) for $1,475. Should I just bail on the VSC? But it galls me to think that I can't get the safety I want without paying for more than I need!

Thanks for your thoughtful response.

Christine

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    if you go to the "build and price" module on toyota.com you can find out which packages are available in your region. using a zip code from another region, you can find out what is in that region.

each region is controlled by a regional distributor, who calls the shots about which packages they will buy from toyota and distribute to their dealerships. find out which package you want, then find out which region has it, and make a deal. :)

good luck, and glad to hear you're okay after your accident!

3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Member

I bought a Pk4 in the New Orleans metro area 4 weeks ago. There are plenty of pk 4 here.This is the SE region(Gulf states Toyota-which isn't a good thing). I think TX,LA,MISS,ALA and maybe GA and Fl are in this region. There is a big dealer sometime discounter around Ft Lauderdale-a bit south on the Atlantic coast-name escapes me-try them. Just search Toyota -Florida etc.Luck,Charlie<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Acadiaphile @ May 30 2006, 04:21 PM) [snapback]262997[/snapback]</div>

4. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Acadiaphile @ May 30 2006, 05:21 PM) [snapback]262997[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Christine,

It's a bit tedious, but you can go to www.toyota.com an put in different zip codes for "Build and Price Your Prius." In Connecticut we only have Packages #0, #3, #5, #7 and #8. I plugged in the zipcode 60606 and got the Chicago Region which has every possible package. I think they limit packages regionally because of what sells best and also in the northeast because the demand remains high and availability limited.

That said, I consider Bluetooth a must-have safety feature (handsfree cell phone use is now also a legal requirement now here in CT), which starts in package #5 and the 6 CD changer and upgraded audio is nice, also starting with package #5. The #6 package is only a $625 difference whcih I guess boils down to the HID headlamps which are very effective but don't seem to be obnoxious to other drivers like ones high up on an SUV.

Then there's that lovely federal tax CREDIT of $3,150 if you take delivery by September 30. (after that it gets cut in half)

As for me, after using the navigation system in the 2005, I am definitely getting that again.

Also, the concept bundling of featurews into concise packages helps keep the options prices way down over individually picking and chosing options from a long menu with vast permutations of possible configurations. So it may seem like you're paying more, but if they did it the other way, you'd be paying significantly more for each add on.