1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it worth having a second set of wheels and tires?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ewhitaker0020, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Ewhitaker0020

Ewhitaker0020 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Somebody is offering to sell me a set of Prius rims along with 4 brand new continental tires. I'm trying to decide if it'll be worth having a second set of wheels. I'm about due for tires so that will mean I don't have to buy the set I was going to buy.

I kinda thought about throwing these on my car and getting some winter tires put on the other set of wheels. Then switching them out when winter hits, which I've never done before, but I've been seriously thinking about doing it because of how much I drive for work.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Separate summer and winter tires on their own wheels are a common practice. Winter tires are a significant improvement over All-Season tires, and having them on separate rims avoids the cost and wear and tear from changing them on and off the rims every year. And maybe from the long customer lines at the tire shops just as a storm is forecast to arrive.

The only downsides are the cost of the extra rims (and TPMS sensors) themselves, and possibly the hassle of reprogramming the TPMS system twice a year.

Because of timing issues, I ended up with winter tires on my OEM wheels, and A/S tires on a take-off set of Plug-In-Prius wheels from someone who bought fancier wheels.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Depending on location, you may want to consider forgoing TPMS sensor valves on the second set. It’s not mandatory everywhere; for sure not in Canada, and maybe half the US States don’t require TPMS at annual inspections. Though federally tire shops may get in trouble, sending you on your way sans sensors. Maybe you can do an end run, keep the shop in the clear, with loose rims??

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In the U.S., the shops should get in trouble only for bolting the TPMS-less wheels on to your car. It is perfectly fine for them to mount tires onto TPMS-less rims, then hand them to you or load them into your trunk to take home. And then you can legally bolt them on yourself.

There are plenty of pre-TPMS cars still on the road, and the tire shops are not saddled with any responsibility to know what car you will bolt said no-TPMS wheels on to. Even when the answer is quite obvious. They just can't do it themselves for cars that were originally built with TPMS, which is everything since 2007.

If you choose to go without the sensors, black electrical tape is a common way to hide the warning light. Easy, cheap, fast, and easily reversible if you change your mind or sell the car.

State inspection requirements are a different kettle of fish.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Formula_Ron

Formula_Ron Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I love having a second set of winter tires/wheels. They are invaluable up here. If you are going to be driving in snow during the winter, I would recommend them.

nssdiver and Steph1972 like this.
  6. Ewhitaker0020

Ewhitaker0020 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No inspections of any kind in my state fortunately. And my current tpms sensors don't work. I've been dealing with that light for a year lol

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I run two set.

8. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For winter tires or dedicated summer performance tires, having a separate set would be good. If you can change them DIY, you will save time and money in the long run.

nssdiver likes this.
  9. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I'd say worth it if you live in a snow zone.

Having two sets of wheels with the same tires on all eight, could be awesome for tire rotation and extending tire life.
    But, I am not so sure that would be worth it, noting tires can "age out".
    TMPS sensors are notable.

Mounting and dismounting summer to winter and vice verse can be a pain.
    (Mount balance $25 a tire, four tires, twice a year, times x number years ... you can estimate cost)

Just changing complete wheels is so much easier.
    Again, snow zone, worth it.
    Good luck in your decision.

nssdiver likes this.
  10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ +1, except that most parts of KY are not noted for being in the 'snow belt.'

If the price of the new wheel/tire combo is comparable to the price of the just new tires I'd say "go for it!"
    Not only will you have a set of 'snows' but if you damage a rim then you've already paid for the replacement.

So...
    The TPMS is a 'thing' for some cars.
    You may want to see if there's a tool available for this task.

It's like car remotes.
    Some OEMs shank their owners for hundreds of dollars for the programming, while others allow you to DIY.

Or?
    You can just look at the pretty yellow light.
    I'm "pretty" sure that the Commonwealth of Kentucky does not have checkpoints looking for vehicles with illuminated TPMS sensor lights....and I'm also "pretty" sure that they have the same annual vehicle inspections that my beloved home state of Indiana doesn't have. :D

Good Luck in March!

Ewhitaker0020 likes this.
  11. nssdiver

nssdiver Me digging' life

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    If you get any significant amount of snow, I second everyone's opinion supporting a second set of wheels for your snows. That is what I have done for my last 4 vehicles. I ended up getting a Porter Cable 20V impact wrench off of an Amazon special for $100 TO MY DOOR! I can swap wheels in my garage now in <20' as I use the impact wrench to operate the jack at relatively high speed.

And in regards to snow tires, remember: They only have to "work" once to pay for themselves...

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Having two sets also allows you to pamper them: wash/wax thoroughly and at your leisure, bring them in loose when getting replacement tires, and so on.

13. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Personally I find it worthwhile. We don't have severe winters- we use snow tires for a traction benefit maybe 2 months of the year. We also use them as a relatively cheap sacrificial defense against spring potholes afterwards. It's a little harder to wreck a 14" steel rim + tire than an aluminum 15" setup. The factory rims have stayed nicer longer.

I have a garage with a poured slab and good lifting tools to make the tire swap job safe and easy enough to put up with twice a year. The offseason tires are stored in a shed a few steps away. Without those two facilities I don't know that I'd put up with two sets.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I'll speak for the minority here. Is Kentucky a heavy snow state? I get by in Connecticut by buying "All Weather" tires (not all season) as they perform almost as well as winter tires, but can be used year around. The ones that I use are Nokian WR series tires (They are now up to WRg4,the fourth generation of these wonderful tires). They not only give good traction in bad weather, the also last over 50k miles, ride well and have a low rolling resistance (good MPG). I just do regular tire rotations make certain that the tread depth is still adequate when the snow season approaches.