1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it worth reducing the cars weight by 45 pounds... by...

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by scm2000, Aug 22, 2017.

1. scm2000

scm2000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    ... by not filling the tank?

I wont know for sure until the low fuel warning comes on the first time, but its looking like i will only need to fill up once a month... with my current pattern, or even less often once my l2 charge station is installed.

Would there be a fuel economy benefit of only putting in a weeks worth of gas and saving weight?

Or does the overall weight of the car make that insignificant?

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I keep at least 1/4 tank in my Energi since I typically only need gas for a trip to a neighboring town which that will easily cover. I don't think it makes a meaningful difference in EV range.

3. Pdog808

Pdog808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Wish I had a short enough trip to make this possible. I would just end up sitting in those annoyingly long lines at Costco more than once every 5 weeks (yeah I know I'm spoiled - I hate waiting in gas lines :D )

I assume that this is a viable enough option for those who charge at least 1x per day with a relatively short drive.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Peanuts, I wouldn't even think about it. But then, I'm packing around a lot of extra stuff, including a close to 20 lb jump pack lol.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I only filled the gen2 tank up about half way, but that was because I believed the head pressure and pressure from the expanded bladder when fuel could pushed more fuel through the pump.

An old rule of thumb, which may or may not apply to hybrids and EVs, is that reducing a hundred pounds would improve efficiency by 1%. Not filling up all the way could improve efficiency, but I suspect you won't notice it until looking over an entire year. In a PHEV, I'd consider doing it more so that there is room in the tank to add fresh gas if the fuel maintenance warning coming on was a concern.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  7. scm2000

scm2000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Ok... so the only thing I see going here then is any concern over fuel freshness.

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Being a plug-in is a factor tho, can see that.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    in the pip, they recommended burning through a tank every 6 months. in prime, there seems to be no such recommendation.
    and not only that, the pip runs the engine every 124 miles, if it hasn't run. in prime, there seems to be no such exercise.
    so, i can only think of 3 possibilities:
    1) gasoline is far superior now in longevity than in 2012.
    2) primes engine isn't bothered by stale gas.
    3) i lost my train of thought.:oops:

Mendel Leisk and bps like this.
  10. bps

bps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I wonder of water contamination would be an issue if we were to never fill completely up with gas? I’m also concerned with the freshness of gas as well. I could see us going a very long time on one tank of gas, as in months and months. I wonder if regular use of STA-BIL is necessity...

11. joachimz

joachimz Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Prime manual re fuel:
    fuel.jpg

bisco, Tideland Prius and bps like this.
  12. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    A 45 pound weight reduction would improve mileage by around 0.8%.

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah quality of fuel would be my concern.

In my Gen 3, I would go 4-5 weeks between fill ups so you should be ok with once a month on a full tank (if you use a full tank once a month). Once you get up to 6 months, I'd start to get concerned and maybe using some fuel stabilizer with the fresh gasoline can help extend the shelf life.

Also if you think the gas in your tank will last longer than 6 months, consider using ethanol-free fuel.

Lastly, I would rotate at least once a year (summer fuel vs. winter fuel). You don't want summer fuel during winter. (and once summer rolls around, you want the better mpg that summer fuel gives you)

Mark57 and Gravediger like this.
  14. scm2000

scm2000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Do priuses still have bladder gas tanks? If so would there be a worry about moisture?

Plus isnt it a sealed system?

Gravediger likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no bladder since 2009. not sure about moisture.

i would think heeding the o/m instructions posted by @joachimz would be sufficient.

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ethanol bonds to water good.

17. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Like GM, Toyota was being conservative in regards to fuel condition in their first PHEV's tank. GM went with premium octane requirement, and Toyota more frequent fuel burn offs.
    Once they got the real world data in, they saw the precautions needn't be as cautious.

These tanks are sealed tight to reduce emissions, and to keep the fuel fresh. They are a far cry from a tank used to fill your mower. I'd only worry about water in humid environments, then adding rubbing alcohol will be enough to keep off phase separation.

I'd leave the tank partially empty not because of freshness concerns, but so I could delay a mandatory ICE running by adding some fresh gas.

18. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yes, but too much water will cause the alcohol and water mix to separate from the gas, and sink to the bottom of the tank. Not good.

E30 and higher concentrations, and phase separation is no longer a concern.

Edit: I was up against a forced restart clock before. So to add to this, ethanol is hygroscopic, and will suck moisture out of the air. That's the reason I would give thought about water contamination in warm, humid environments and PHEVs. When gas is used, some of that moisture laden air enters the tank. So more water can get into the fuel.

How much this is a concern is going to depend on quickly you use the gas.

Is the Prius tank plastic? This might no longer be an issue, like 3000 mile oil changes, but I've heard that keeping the tank under filled risked rusting of the upper part of the tank.

#18 Trollbait, Aug 23, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In regard to fuel freshness. Modern fuel has come a long way. I have two very recent examples:

Case 1: My wife's friend moved to an apartment complex that allowed only one car and had assigned parking. She needed a place to keep her PT Cruiser (2nd car) until she purchased her own place. We kept her car at our house. This turned into a 2.5 year storage. It didn't move. I washed it once. She wanted to come pick it up this week, so I checked it out to make sure it was ready. Put a new battery in it. It had an oil change about a month before storage, so I just checked it and topped it off. Checked air pressure in the tires and topped off. Turned the ignition key and the puppy fired right up after about 3 seconds of cranking. Took it for a drive around the neighborhood, no problems, but I also never exceeded 35mph. Stayed in the neighborhood because plates expired in late 2015.

Case 2: My wife's father passed away 2 years ago. We inherited his 1995 Chevy K1500 pickup that has only 100,512 miles. That truck has been sitting on our property for 2 years. It also never moved. We decided it was time to get it back on the road and retire my 280,000 mile 1994 F150. Put air in the tires, installed another new battery. It took three tries before it fired up, but runs smooth as can be. Unfortunately, both front brakes and the driver side rear brake were seized from sitting so long. Powered through them to get the truck to the garage and rebuilt/repaired all the brakes. The truck runs great. Still haven't added any fresh gas to it.

I wouldn't worry too much about the gas getting old.

20. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You could always do a test. Pick a route, longer the better. Run it with 1/4 th tank, record your results and then do the exact same route again with a full tank. Your results will be more meaningful if the wind is the same on both runs. Wind will have a bigger effect than the weight.

I can tell you when I did my 805.2 miles on one tank experiment in my 2010, I did over several runs. I also noticed the incremental mileage I got during each intermediate run. I saw no significant difference in MPG from the gas tank getting lighter. What I did see, was impact due to wind.

bps likes this.