1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it worth to buy 2006~2008 Prius with low mileage around $10k~$12k

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by samohn85, Jun 27, 2023.

1. samohn85

samohn85 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I lately have seen some people selling gen 2 Prius 2006~2008 with relatively low mileage which is around 60k-80k at around $10k~$12k. I am looking for a vehicle for my kid who just graduate from college and started working.

I own a Prius 2004. The mileage is 130k, the front and rear suspensions have been replaced recently, and the spark plugs have been replaced, and it still runs well. However, I think the control arms, lower ball joints, other bushings and possibly the front hub bearings will need to be replaced soon.

Even if you don't drive a car much, if you own it for more than 10 years, it will cost you maintenance. How much is it worth buying a 2006-2008 low Mileage Prius? I would like to hear your opinion.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well if you're considering purchasing a new car you know what that's going to cost and you're not going to drive very many of these new cars that you see people buying now. Anything like you will a generation to Prius I don't care what miles you buy it with I don't care if it's got 150,000 it's been driven by a little old lady who pretty much goes to the doctor and goes over one state to visit her son and back home etc and the interiors in real good condition exterior and very good to excellent what have you yeah I'll take it I don't even have to see it The lady can describe it to me and I can tell her pretty much she doesn't need to worry I'm coming with the cash or what have you. But I like the 2000 2500 things. And when you only have that in the vehicle you don't have to care about it so hard You can concentrate on your job and life and whatever not worry if somebody's out cutting the cat off the car in the parking lot doesn't matter you don't have that much in it. Now if you're stuck in a emission state California etc then you've got other problems to deal with I mean if you're willing to spend that kind of money on a Gen 2 that still going to be close to 20 years old or whatever it is now why not just buy a Prius c That's a generation two updated to the crappy standards of today I guess but it's a nice running little car it's just real thin metal an interiors I could do without but other than that that's that one NZ engine It's a solid runner still used today

3. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Over $10,000 for a 2nd Generation Prius seems excessive to me. I bought my 2009 Prius for around $8000… in December 2016, when it was 7-8 years old. Looking to spend $10-12k on a 15+ year old car that you plan to use as a daily driver makes no sense to me. If you’re willing to spend that kind of money on a 2nd Gen Prius, I would spend a few thousand more to get a 4th Gen Prius that is much more likely to last longer and require fewer repairs.

Rmay635703 likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    All of the Gen 3's are going to be the 2ZZ engine so not my favorite by any stretch of the imagination. But I think even the latest Prius prime is still the two z isn't it I wouldn't want to pay $40,000 for a 2Z engine anything. Personally hopefully Toyota will have another engine coming out soon or something

5. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If you are in Massachusetts, I would be most concerned about RUST.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Unfortunately, that’s the price of cars these days.
    If you or he can’t do serious diy on major hybrid systems, I would look for a Corolla or the like

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah generally you travel down south or out west or something for cars like this You don't want to buy them in a rust belt.

Georgina Rudkus likes this.