1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is "Model4" worth it?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Curious Liz, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Curious Liz

Curious Liz New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good afternoon, everyone!

I am excited to announce that I am soon to join the ranks of Prius owners. I plan to buy one next week - I applied for the loan through my credit union last night.

To qualify for a new auto loan, which of course has lower rates, I need a car that is within the last two model years and has less than 10,000 miles. For personal preference, I want one that is white with tinted windows. The other details I am not so needy about, although of course I have wants!

Here is my situation. I would like to save a few bucks by buying a gently used car. There are a number of options within a 25 mile radius that meet my criteria, but the Toyota dealership that is right near my house has a model four. All the other dealerships have model twos.

I have visited the model four in person. It is gorgeous. It has a small scratch on the back that I only saw because I inspected it. The floormats do not appear to be the factory ones, but I could be wrong. It does not have a cargo net or the cover to hide what is in the trunk.

The extra features of the four over the others, from what I can tell, are a slightly better speaker and electronics system, which would be nice. The seats are leather and electronic-adjustments. The rearview mirror dims. The steering wheel has some buttons on it that I don't think the twos do, but I could be wrong.

They want $26,5 for the four and the twos are all priced in the $22-23 range. I am struggling with if the price is really worth it. Oh, I don't think I mentioned that it is a 2012 with 7,000 miles. The others are also 2012s with 3000-6000 miles.

What sweetens the deal is that the loyal dealership seems willing to give me the full amount that I owe on my trade-in, which I think is probably a thousand or two more than it is actually worth.

So... do y'all think that the differences between the four and the twos are worth the 4k price difference? And does anyone have any advice for getting the dealership to bring the price down? I already tried mentioning that I could get a two cheaper... and they offered to help me get a two. I really DO want the four.

I hope that made sense. I am a little excited and rambly!

2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would go with the four, more bells and whistles! I like "extras" on my car, so it's worth it to spend a couple of extra bucks to get the car you have to drive everyday. I like to drive, and a two, well I think it would be on the low end of OK. dull! But that's just me.

Welcome to the forum, good luck on the car whichever you choose!

3. Rich F

Rich F New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just bought a four, also gently used, although in my case it had 250 miles, and was 29,000, but I love it. I was looking for a long-term car after having held on to my past few cars only around 4 years, and to have a car that long, I wanted it to have more luxury features. The seats (although not "real" leather) are very comfortable, and depending on the package you're getting, have power lumbar support, and are heated (I got the solar moonroof package). My general philosophy, is that the extra money will be worth it if you're going to live with the car for a longer time. It will keep you from wanting the next new thing as quickly.

Can't say too much more about the four without knowing the option package it has.

One word of warning, the data services in the nav with entune do not necessarily transfer with the owner. Make sure you negotiate with the dealer and make sure they get it turned on for the full three years the car is supposed to have it. It seems to be an issue that hasn't come up much with the 2012s since finding a used one is pretty rare. In my case, Toyota made it right, and reimbursed me for buying 3 years directly, but if you can avoid the headache, do so.

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You're missing the retractable cover. Ask what one costs. Make sure you get two fobs with any Prius you buy.

Only you can determine if the extra gizmos are worth the money.

5. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Check to see if the tonneau cover is in its storage spot underneath the rear floor deck, where you would also find the spare tire.

6. Curious Liz

Curious Liz New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello everyone! Thank you so much for your reply.

The tonneau WAS in the trunk - my mistake!

Can anyone who has some free minutes tell me if they think that I sound prepared with a reasonable offer?

I have been to the dealership twice. I LOVE the car - a 2012 Blizzard White model 4 Prius, used - program/rental car for the dealership - with 7100 miles. It has some VERY small signs of wear - the teensiest nick in the hatchback, a small pockmark on one of the rear seat handles. Nothing that I would ever care about, but that may work in my favor.

They are asking $26,770.

I checked KBB.com for their true value for this car *brand new* and it shows:

MSRP = 29,215
    Fair Purchase Price = $27,678
    Dealer Invoice = $27,239

I had a local dealership - about thirty miles away - send me an offer for a model 4 in blue for $27,013 - brand new. Kbb.com shows Blizzard White as being a $220 upgrade.

My research shows that after 1yr, only 63% of MSRP is retained. Kbb.com also shows that a 1 year old used Prius model 4 should sell, certified, for about $18,267.

I owe $5,400 on my Cobalt, which I figure is worth about $3,000 trade-in.

Here is what I plan to offer:
    $24,000 (I will negotiate up to $25,000)
    Full $5,400 for trade in
    2 Fobs
    3 years of etune

Do you guys think that I will have any luck? Any advice? I paid sticker for my last two strictly-economy-style cars and I have never negotiated anything. I am nervous! Hoping that being prepared will help.

7. Curious Liz

Curious Liz New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Oh and Rich F., no moonroof package, but it does have lumbar support in the driver's seat and heated seats. Who knew I would love having a warm butt so much?!

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't believe you'll have any leverage on the scratches & chips. It IS a used car. You know what a new one costs & you should know what you can expect to pay for a new one. It looks like the dealer is knocking off ~14c per mile. That seems low to me but come in low. Negotiate the Prius & the trade separately or you'll get screwed on both ends. Try asking for some free oil change coupons. You may not get but if you don't ask you won't get.

9. Curious Liz

Curious Liz New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The scratches and chips - just prove that it IS a used car, I guess is what I was thinking. I feel like it is priced like a new car. Thanks for the advice about negotiating separatately - I will be sure to do that.

10. Curious Liz

Curious Liz New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just got approved for my loan! :D

11. Curious Liz

Curious Liz New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Bought it last night and was able to negotiate the price down to where I was comfortable. Thanks for the advice, everyone!