1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is my 10 yr/208k HV battery really this healthy? (data inside)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by hearsay, Jul 15, 2018.

1. hearsay

hearsay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've finally gotten around to running the HV Battery test via the Hybrid Assistant app and am quite shocked at the results I'm seeing. Can I really trust these block readings instead of pulling the battery and testing each module for ~7.2v? I expected the maximum delta for observed readings to be far higher than it was.

Should I really expect years more out of this battery with no stress? Our family makes an annual 5k road trip from New Mexico to New York to Georgia and back and a failed battery pack in the middle of the road trip would be a ginormous bummer.
    Global stats
    Minimum observed battery voltage
    196 V
    Maximum observed battery voltage 226 V
    Minimum observed block voltage 13.87 V
    Maximum observed block voltage 16.19 V
    Maximum Delta 0.32 V
    Average Delta 0.20 V
    Minimum observed current -18.00 A
    Maximum observed current 6.00 A
    Minimum observed SOC 47.8%
    Maximum observed SOC 68.6%
    Delta SOC 20.8%
    Energy 366mAh
    Estimated Capacity 1.87Ah

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    expect, or hope? gen2 have been known to go many miles without much trouble, and the battery prefers to be used.
    still, hard call on the road trip. unlikely to have a failure, but always possible.

3. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

Yes, you can really trust these readings. Interpreting the readings can be difficult.

Pulling a battery apart to measure static voltages tells you next to nothing.

I don't think so.
    Strike one is being in the heat of NM. Your battery has lived a hard life. There are two concerning numbers in the Hybrid Reporter data. The first is block six being the minimum 47.3% of the time. That's not normal. It suggests that block six will be the one to fail. Strike three is the estimated capacity of 1.87Ah. That's really low. Typical would be in the 4 to 6 Ah range.

Could you show more of the Hybrid Reporter results? How does the Consecutive Samples at Delta .2V look?

Driving a ten year old car across the country is not without risks. Here's a short list of things that could be replaced or serviced before such a trip. It could add up to so much money that it does not make sense.

1. Install NEW HV battery, 12 volt battery, tires, both water pumps, serpentine belt.
    2. Change engine oil, tranny fluid, coolant.

m.wynn, fotomoto and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. hearsay

hearsay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great thoughts above Strawbrad, and below are the results from the Consecutive Sample chart. All looks good on it from what I can gather and the blocks are consistently within .2v of each other.

Delta Threshhold/Consecutive Samples

0.2/167
    .45/0
    .7/0
    .95/0
    1.2/0

Your point about the one block reading minimum voltage nearly half of the time concerned me too. It seemed like an obvious weakness. I was in contact with the developer, and he claimed that one block reading low for a bit was no big deal. His emphasis was that the greatest indicator of battery failure was the voltage delta, which seems to check out fine in my case

I do not know how to interpret the low capacity of aH. I'm guessing that swapping out that one weak cell would not help the overall capacity all that much? Is there a way to determine what is causing the low overall capacity?

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I do not know how to interpret the low capacity of aH. I'm guessing that swapping out that one weak cell would not help the overall capacity all that much? Is there a way to determine what is causing the low overall capacity?

Your graph shows that the battery test continued after the engine started charging.

My experience with HA is that you MUST stop the test before the engine kicks on and starts charging the battery. That's why I stop my tests at ~43-45% SOC. If the engine kicks on, it totally jacks up the capacity calculation. I've also found that you must completely back out of the HR app before you look at another test (saved file). Something in the data doesn't clear and a previous report will totally jack up the Ah capacity calculation of the next one, UNLESS you totally close the app and then reopen it.

strawbrad likes this.
  6. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just for comparison I ran a HA test on my 2008 with 150K on the original untouched battery. This car has been in MN since new. Our generally frozen climate is very easy on batteries.

I wonder how HA calculates % Time @ Min V. All the blocks should not be %. Maybe they need consecutive samples to count.

Hersay,
    It would be interesting to see how your block 6 responds to a forced charge. Weak modules will swing to the highest voltage on charge.

HA1.jpg

HA2.jpg
    HA6.jpg

7. hearsay

hearsay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Awesome insight, I appreciate all of the thoughts here. I've run another test making sure that the HV battery didn't start to recharge and the numbers are a bit more encouraging. I also ensured that I fully backed out of HA before opening the report to confirm that the battery capacity data wasn't screwed up, which I had done the first time as well.

The numbers are a bit more encouraging, but overall capacity is a bit low at 3.56aH. Would replacing cells from the suspect blocks and rebalancing bring this number up?

Block 6 still looks a bit weak as well, but not nearly as dramatic as before.

Any additional insights gathered from the data below?

8. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Your HV battery capacity is determined by the weakest cell (a module has 6 cells in series) in the HV string (28 modules) so rebalancing the weak modules or replacing them with modules that match the other modules will increase the overall capacity.

JeffD

wjtracy likes this.
  9. Hybrid Battery Exchange

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Block 6 is definitely your weak link. I would suggest going even lower on the discharge test, take it down to 14v/block and see the difference between the highest and the lowest. If you're looking to extend the life of your battery then reconditioning/reshuffling is the way to go. There's a possibility that after reconditioning block 6 may not recover capacity and may need a module or two replaced.

10. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    On the voltage plot, the voltage distribution appears to stay consistent both during discharging and charging. This could indicate just an imbalance, and not necessarily a weak cell. A simple top balancing with a grid charger might significantly reduce the delta V. A subsequent deep discharge reconditioning cycle would probably also improve capacity somewhat.

I don't see any indication of an impending failure.

I agree, that would give a higher level of confidence to see the response under strong charging and high SOC. You can charge it up to 80% SOC with force charging.

Btw: My HV battery is a little older and still going strong. Last year I began annual top balancing with a grid charger, purely as preventative maintenance.

strawbrad likes this.
  11. hearsay

hearsay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, I figure it's time for another update. I recently ordered the OBDLinkX adapter recommended by Hybrid Assistant after losing faith in my cheaper OBD adapter I was using for the first round of testing.

Suddenly, the test results are quite a bit different, and even more encouraging. I'd appreciate any comments here. Not much has changed with the car other than a 1,000 mi round trip camping trip to Timp Point on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

First up, we have my new results on the battery discharge test. There is no longer a single block that is showing up as holding a very low charge like Block 6 was doing before. Could the OBD adapter really be reporting this that differently? I suppose switching back to my old adapter may be the only way to truly know, and i may do that at some point for confidence. As far as I can see, there is no big max bias to stress over, and moreover, the overall capacity (is this accurate) is not bad either.

Screenshot_20180810-092104.png

Next up, below are the results of a heavy charge test. Can anyone gather any good data from this?
    Screenshot_20180810-091929.png

As always, the input of this forum is always greatly appreciated. I'm focused on getting to 300k in this prius, and keeping the Hybrid battery is clearly a huge step in the goal. I am certainly considering using a Prolong charger to keep the battery balanced and operating at max capacity. The only problem I really see with the battery is that my mpg is a bit lower than I would expect. Even using hypermiling techniques and watching Toruque/HA, I can rarely top 50 mpg on a trip. Perhaps it's because we live in a steeply hilly town, but I still would like to get better than a 45 mpg average.

#11 hearsay, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    strawbrad likes this.
  12. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd like to see you add the Prolong setup to your battery, do a grid charge then test the battery again after around a week of driving. The weakest blocks (esp if you have one failing) will usually fall to the lowest voltage when under load and then jump to the highest voltage when charging. This is something best seen in Techstream while someone else is driving as it shows what the voltages are on the blocks in real time. What you want to see is a random variation of blocks at min voltage under load (accelerating) and max voltage under charging (braking) conditions. You can see the plot of the SOC for all blocks that Brad posted above is very tight (this is what you want to see while in use). I'd like to see a new one of those for your vehicle as well but I also strongly suggest at least installing that Prolong system and preferably you only use it in cooler months but make sure to crank up the AC if you need to use it during the hot months down in NM. It will certainly help you get the most out of your battery pack.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Keep in mind that the capacity is not a direct measurement here. It is an extrapolation of an estimate based on constantly varying measurements. Voltage, current, and temperature are used to estimate SOC based on an algorithm which occasionally recalibrates itself. The SOC estimate is in turn extrapolated from the capacity. Different conditions and self-recalibrations can produce different results.

So no, the calculated capacity is not always very accurate, but considered in context of the other data, it gives you a good idea of the true capacity, and yours looks good, considering the age of the battery.

The voltage distribution under heavier and fuller charging is still consistent. It helps me to visualize with a graph:
    The blocks are behaving consistently. There are no especially weak blocks behaving much differently than the rest. I see just the normal, typical minor imbalance, which shouldn't drastically affect the performance of the battery.

I wouldn't necessarily attribute that to the battery, unless you have noticed unusual behavior of the SOC and increased running of the ICE.

Attached Files:

#13 Fred_H, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    strawbrad and Cyvan like this.