1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is my mind playing tricks on me...help

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mrudidit, May 14, 2011.

1. mrudidit

mrudidit New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Briefly...I decided to put my 2010 III up for sale, mileage at 5600. Why, well I'm taking a leave of absence for a year and am fearful that paying a car note should be avoided. Within the first 3 hrs of posting for sale, got over 20 offers. Now I'm having second thoughts...and it all hit me when I parked her in the garage tonight...I swear I thought I could hear her asking me "why are you selling me?"..lol...my other cars are a land cruiser and porsche 911...any thoughts...thanks.

2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    LOL.

Depends how much you like the Prius. It sounds like you don't really. Why not sell your other cars?

3. mrudidit

mrudidit New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I actually love the prius. Since they first came out, I wanted one. Then with the last body change I bit the bullet. And the thought of selling it only came about yesterday, however due to the overwhelming responses, I had to rethink. Selling the others might be a consideration, however I couldn't imagine many people wanting the cruiser, considering gas prices...and it eats gas as if it were air.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Unless you absolutely need the space and/or towing capacity of the Land Cruiser, that's the one I'd ditch first, but it might be a tough sell w/the high gas prices.

I can understanding liking a Porsche 911 (don't know what age yours is) but you're probably familiar w/the very expensive maintenance on those. If you're not that set on keeping it, I'd ditch it in favor of a cheaper and more economical to maintain sports car.

I can't fathom ditching a hybrid anymore, esp. a Prius. I think as long as I drive, one car will always either by a hybrid or EV.

Even in the absence of high gas prices, it drives me nuts to drive non-hybrids (like my Z) in city and stop and go traffic. It's the thought of the ICE uselessly burning up gas while idling and at low speeds coupled w/knowing that ALL braking energy becoming useless heat and brake dust vs. being partly recaptured and repurposed.

5. mrudidit

mrudidit New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks cwerdna, actually there are moments when having the cruiser pays off and there's no balance owed. Im currently 48 and feel very fortunate to not only be able to take a year off without pay, but to own the 911. The only advantage of the 911, besides the obvious is that I have a personal mechanic who is very reasonable with repairs, yet it may still make sense to let it go because there is a small balance owed on it and being a German car, it sits most of the time, which isn't necessarily a positive thing. I too agree about the burning of gas while sitting idly and now that I am a prius driver, like you, have said what a waste and the genius of regen brakes is always on my mind. Thanks for your response, I am somewhat beginning to think that letting the porsche go may be the best of all worlds considering my dad also has promised me his classic 71 Tr6 and there is also a Ninja sitting in the garage.

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I just bought an FJ Cruiser, to deal with the snow we had this past winter. I finally took pity on poor Pearl when, coming home from grocery shopping, I discover the city plowed my back alley and left an 8" abrupt step in the ice/snow to get back into the alley! Pearl doesn't like that!

Remarkably, there was no winter damage to Pearl. Many other vehicles have broken bumper covers and torn off aero devices underneath from last winter.

And for those horrified I would buy such a beast, Pearl has taught me well! I'm getting 12-13 l/100km in Bruiser (the FJ Cruiser), better than most owners do. But I prefer driving Pearl. It's about 1/3 as expensive, and it's nice to be in the 21st century. Bruiser is so 20th century! I actually have to get the keys out of my pocket to unlock him!

7. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Your car definitely said that to you. I have heard mine tell me not to leave it out in the driveway before a snow storm before. And then she unleashed on me and let me have it about letting my Harley be the garage occupier instead of her. And kept on about how I need to clean up my garage, get rid of stuff I don't need, and then find room for both modes of transportation in there. I felt so bad afterward, but I told her too bad, she needs to suck it up and deal with the cold and snow!!!

I agree with the others, though. Get rid of the larger vehicle, and use those funds to make monthly payments towards the Prius. The cruiser may come in handy once in awhile, but is it worth the cost of insurance and fuel all year round? That's why I got rid of my small S10 pickup truck - it was costing me more in insurance than I was benefiting from it. I can rent a truck from Lowes/Home Cheapo on the rare occasions I need one. Or borrow a friend and throw him $20 to help out :)

8. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My instincts suggest that the Prius III is a quick, no-brainer sale; taking advantage of a buyers' market with demand and prices on the upswing. If you have other cars you're satisfied with then I say good for you. Selling the Prius is not the decision I would make, but seems to be right for you. Good luck to you.