1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is my MPG Meter Broken??

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by priusmouse, Dec 16, 2022.

1. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    My 2017 Prius MPG Meter reads 57.4. I have been sitting in my car in the parking lot on the phone with the engine/battery running and the heat on or sometimes the radio on also while reading, often for like an hour at a time. I would assume this behavior would hurt my MPG a lot more but it has only dropped by about .2-.3 MPG since the summer when I wasnt doing that as much bc it was warm out.

Does the Prius not count fuel lost to being parked with the engine on into the MPG Meter? Is my meter just broken? Or does lounging around in the Prius in Park mode with the engine on just not consume much fuel?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you don't reset it with each tankful, it's pretty tough to move the average, one way or the other. your definitely not consuming much with the engine kicking on and off

Mendel Leisk and Salamander_King like this.
  3. sclevine

sclevine Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Are you talking about lifetime average? How many miles do you have? The more miles you have the harder it will be to move that number.

If you look at the panel in the car with the monthly summaries, I'm sure you will see Dec much lower than your summer months.

4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you don't want to reset the lifetime mpg associated with your ODO, just reset tripA or tripB. You will see an immediate effect on mpg with your recent drives.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Yep; I use trip A to track mpg and reset every fill-up. This gives you a real-life average, not a computer generated guesstimate.
    TripB is my mileage maintenance counter. I know how many miles I've driven since last maintenance; when the maintenance minder lamp turns on. Reset after maintenance.

My Prime's lifetime mileage is currently sitting @ 122mpg. I fill-up about once a month and get close to 1K miles per tank. I was close to 1.2K mile on one tank this summer.