1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is my prius covered under warranty repairs if I am the 5th owner?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Darklandscape, May 27, 2023.

1. Darklandscape

Darklandscape Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I purchased this prius a year ago from iaai insurance auction, and am around the 5th owner.
    Is my car still covered for warranty repairs if within the specified time period ?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Are you asking about general warranty coverage, or about the special service campaign ZJB that covers the C1391 brake system code from your other thread?

3. Darklandscape

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Campaign ZJB

4. bettergolf

bettergolf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you bought it from the insurances auction and it was totaled and repaired (salvage /rebuilt title), there is no more valid warranty on the car even if the time/mileage limits have not been exceeded. They will still safety honor safety recalls.
    This is one reason salvage titled vehicles should be priced MUCH lower than book value, although I have noticed the last couple of years people either are desperate or just uninformed and are paying pretty close to book value for them.
    In 2017 I paid $9k for my 2015 with 24k miles, knowing that if the battery, or any other component failed the repair would be out of my pocket. Now 6 years and 76k miles later nothing has happened and it's still running great, the best car I have ever had, salvage or otherwise.
    If you have a clean title, it doesn't matter how many owners there have been, if the car is still under the time and mileage limit, the warranty still applies.

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes but a 2013 won't have any factory bumper to bumper or powertrain warranty left. In a few states like California your hybrid battery might be 10 years or 150,000 miles but even that period is most likely over as well. They measure the time from date of first use. Special "extended warranties" called customer support programs usually include your hybrid inverter to 15 years. It would be in effect as long as no one has opened it or substituted a used replacement.

#5 rjparker, May 27, 2023
    Last edited: May 27, 2023
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've never quite been sure whether that title endorsement zaps special service campaign coverage. I don't remember that being mentioned when I read the ZJB docs, but (1) maybe I just don't remember, or (2) maybe it's stated elsewhere as some kind of generic policy.

In any case, nobody's opinion is going to matter as much as Toyota's, and it sounds like they already have to make that call if you're under 150,000 miles but need to double-check the in-service date for your 2013. My advice would be to talk to them, soon.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, all subsequent owners are covered by factory warranty

8. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    5 owners in 10 years is so sad... Kinda like an orphan in foster care that can never find their forever home...

9. Darklandscape

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Was just at the dealer.
    It's not covered due to the car being a salvage title.
    Otherwise it would still have 6 months left.

10. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hidden information that’s always helpful for og post. But then we’d be bored to have nothing to speculate on