1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is nuclear energy "green" energy?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by burritos, Nov 19, 2009.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    James Lovelock makes the argument that renewable energy is only going to replace fossil fuels incrementally and gradually. It won't be fast enough to stave off the carbon caused climate change. I personally think we can replace fossil fuels with renewable if we had the will, but it's just not there. However, he believes that nuclear energy can provide the large amounts of energy that we consume with the benefit of reducing carbon. The waste he believes is minimal and that we who live in first world nations have unsubstantiated fear of nuclear waste. He actually has a chart showing that for every terawatt of energy produced, nuclear attributes to much less death(at least for the workers) compared to all the other fuels. A melt down is very unlikely with today's technology. And even if it were a risk, would it be any less tragic or dangerous than the 3 gorges dame bursting in China(which by estimates could kill half a million people? Should nuclear be in the basket of our energy modalities? I've always been a no go with nuclear, but now I have my doubts.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i venture to say that a collaspse of the 3 Gorges Dam would most likely kill tens of millions.

there is a bit of a debate as to other ecological impacts a nuclear plant creates due to its huge appetite for cooling water. changes in water temperatures creates a new host of problems where much warmer than normal water temps create a flourishing environment for normally insignificant plant, algae, bacteria, etc.

and anyone can make an argument that ANY source of unfunded, unbacked and un-initiated power would have an insignificant impact on the power supply.

iow, if someone builds it, people will come. dont build it, then no it will not change anything.

solar and wind stations can be put up very rapidly, in a few months. its will take years to build a nuclear power plant

3. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The single biggest problem with nuclear power is it is pushed primarily by those who are trying to avoid solar, wind, and efficiency improvement. That gives it a "faux green" hue. The ones who think we should burn all the fossil fuels we can are also the ones saying the only other option is nuke. That puts many of us into a "none of the above" choice. Nuke is being pushed as a way of avoiding other more effective solutions.

The second major issue is waste. Until the country commits to addressing the long term storage of the waste, nuke is not sustainable and therefore not green. I don't see this as insurmountable, but as yet the country has not had the will to address it.

One of the other ironies I often note is how many of the same folks most vocal about terrorism and such, don't have a problem with throwing up a slew of nuke plants and not having a good secure way to deal with the nuclear waste. Apparently by their logic govt. can't do anything right...other than operate nuke plants.

I would rather see a Manhattan project for fusion, rather than investing 100's of billions in fission facilities. We've dallied on this front for 30 years already, and I do believe we could have had a net energy producing prototype by now.

4. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Current fission plants have a problem - a very significant portion of their fuel comes from dismantled nuclear weapons which are running out. In fact, at the current rate of production, there will likely be a Uranium shortage by 2013.

Breeder reactors are not yet technically feasible, either (and won't be by 2013).

Technology Review: Blogs: arXiv blog: The Coming Nuclear Crisis

5. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What's the worst case scenario with nuclear waste. What's the worst case scenario with carbon emissions:

The thing about the nuclear, waste, we have some semblance of control over it, which may give unwanted (albeit deadly) radiation to some. Carbon emissions unchecked can doom everything on this earth as we know it.

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Actually, the CANDU reactor, which uses "heavy" water as a moderator, was designed to be a breeder. It was envisioned that only the initial fuel load would be natural - or lightly enriched - uranium.

CANDU Reactors

Subsequent fuel loads would be reprocessed fuel and thorium, which is far more plentiful than uranium.

We have to do far more with spent fuel. The current practice of storing the spent fuel in giant swimming pools is pretty dumb

1 person likes this.
  7. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yeah, but the water's warm, come on in! :D

8. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No shrinkage.

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    sorry, but waste of this or waste of that is still waste. wind and solar have neither. very cheap infrastructure, much more scalable, etc. many put it as a niche solution because they do not want to make it mainstream. charge storage technology is improving. why not make solar and wind the main source and other fuels as peak demand power only.

in the Pacific Northwest, hydro is king, but coal is still used, but peak only. put in more wind and solar and reduce the coal from 30% to 10%.

10. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nuclear power is a loser at least until you can proof to me that waste material can either be made safe, or that it can be safely stored until it it safe.

That said, if you believe that we can bury waste in geologically stable environs for multiple millenia without some nut job trying to break in and get it out for nefarious purposes I think you have a pretty limited view of human nature!

We can't even keep some stuff secure for generation, much less hundreds of generations, and so, I think it criminal that we would burden our children's children's children's,,,,,children with potentially deadly waste so that we can continue our profligate ways. Can you say selfish? can you say insane?

Icarus

11. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Nuclear waste is an issue, but I think it might be more emotional than practical. Measure the worst case scenario with what could happen with nuclear waste vs the worst case scenario with unchecked carbon emissions and climate change. I don't think they are even in the same ballpark.

12. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You know the big problem with wind and solar is ...
    ... it doesn't involve the mining industry.

Who do we think is pushing nuclear?

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I take an extremely suspicious and dim view of human nature, trust me on that.

I really don't think "out of sight and out of mind" is a solution. We must effectively reprocess the spent bundles.

Unfortunately, we as a society can't even have a calm, reasoned discussion of spent bundle reprocessing. As a result, we have these giant swimming pools full of glowing spent bundles

Though I have to admit that Cherenkov radiation does have that pretty glow

14. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    personally i think we should take the spent fuel and put it at the bottom of one of those humonguous mining pits and toss a few yards of concrete on top and bury it. with a half mile of gravel on top, i bet it be ok

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Um ..... no, it would not be ok

16. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is not the technology that I don't trust, (although I don't trust it very much) it is the human nature that I don't trust!

As for Burritos point, I agree that the effect of unchecked carbon is going to be (IS) a disaster, but to solve one catastrophic problem with one that poses a huge KNOWN problem is, as I suggested selfish, and insane.

It would just allow us to continue to life high on the hog, at the expense of others, in this case future generations.

Icarus

1 person likes this.
  17. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I thought that's what the OP meant when he referred to nuclear energy as green. I thought to myself "Well, more of a pretty blue glow..."

Tom

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this qualitatively any different than any other thermal plants, e.g. coal, oil, gas, or biomass?

I know there is a quantitative difference, in that nukes tend to be on the lower end of the thermal efficiency scale, causing them to put out more waste heat than the more modern fossil fuel plants.

Solar photovoltaics need a lot more silicon fab plants to get the production capacity we need for any major changeover, and that capacity won't be built in a few months. I don't know how fast solar thermal capacity can be built.

Shhh! Don't tell the French. If they hear this, their power grid might collapse overnight.

Are there any humongous mining pits that don't have aquifers beneath?

19. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It typically takes years to get production capacity up and running. Right now, there is a bit of a production glut with the poor economy - panel prices have dropped significantly in the last year.

Thin-film PV panels will be the wave of the future since the cost to produce them is much lower and manufacturing capacity is faster to bring on line.

Solar thermal is primarily mirrors, tubes and turbines. All fairly standard parts that can be brought online fairly rapidly. More work is needed to reduce the water consumption of solar thermal plants. Air cooled solar thermal plants need further cost reductions to be more cost competitive.

And just how many breeder reactors do they have? Breeder reactors may not have a fuel problem, but they do have other significant issues.

20. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The French have something like 58 plants which develop 90% of their electrical power.

Breeder is a relative term. It's usually used along with the word "fast", as in a fast breeder reactor. All nuclear reactors breed some form of radioactive material. At issue is how fast and how usable. In the case of France, all of their spent fuel is reprocessed, which is economical and reduces the amount of long term radioactive waste.

Tom

1 person likes this.