1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is oil change part of 5k "free" service?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cyclopathic, Mar 25, 2015.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Or they just doing tire rotation? thnx

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Oil/filter is not part of 5K.

3. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    even if it falls under "heavy use" schedule?

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 'free' service includes only two oil changes, and three other visits for tire rotation. When I asked, visits could not be taken out of sequence, but I was allowed to take the oil changes early by foregoing the prior tire-only visits. So, because I generally get the first couple new car oil changes early, I had two oil changes, plus one separate tire rotation, then was going to my preferred independent shop for oil changes at my own expense before 25k miles. The other two tire-only visits were flushed away.

#4 fuzzy1, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  5. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks!

On new car I try to replace oil filter after fist 1,000mi. I didn't on this one b/c it was cold, it snowed and filter was screwed on so friggin' tight.. may try to do it now and don't wait? If I can't get it off would have to take oil change.

I do my own changes but free is free it will save me 60-70 bucks.

6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ;) Smart move to change out first oil/filter early. I still do both every 5,000 miles...but that's another discussion/arguement.

7. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Agree completely. I've seen huge pieces of metal shavings from manufacturing after 2nd oil change in the past.

My basic problem with taking it to the shops oil may be completely cold and all deposits settled/stuck to the walls by the time they get to it. That and use of sub-par oil/filter.

8. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    They just do a tire rotation at 5,000. At 10,000 they do oil and filter change plus tire rotation.

9. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There are various solutions/solvents made for "flushing", though used more for high mileage and neglected.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i had them do my first free oil change at 5,000, then the second at 15,000. it makes no never mind to them, you get two free, and that's it.

11. Janstheman

Janstheman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It seems that Toyota is trying to get a handle on oil gelling issues with their engines. At the two "free" oil changes, Toyota uses synthetic oil to stop this from happening.
    It is better to pay for oil changes than ANY engine work. This builds rapport with the customers that the dealership service department is not going to rip them for money. And if you start with synthetic oil you are more likely to get this oil again.
    Our family has had seven Toyota products in the past ten years. We have used Mobil 1 at the dealer with zero problems in any of these vehicles.
    My advise is to use synthetic oil for long term durability and less maintenance cost (no out of warranty repairs).

12. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Asked at the service counter and they said no; if you want it you have to pay for it. So it varies from dealer to dealer

13. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I had quite a discussion with my service adviser.......TWO of them in fact.......trying to get them to understand that the first 2 oil changes were complimentary and it really makes NO difference what mileage I decide to "cash in my coupons", as it were.

I did my first at 5K and am approaching the second one at 15K. I did not do a visit in between. I strongly suspect this will confuse the crap out of them.

14. citroenjohn

citroenjohn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The cost for an oil change varies quite a bit. My dealer will perform an oil and filter change for $19.95 and the oil is synthetic. They also do a safety check and rotate the tires while changing the oil!!! I'm sure they do it to get the customer to come back for service. It works for me, what they charge is less then I can change the oil for and they really provide excellent service. Additionally, I really like my C2. Life is good.

15. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Good deal. I would take that for as long as I could get it.

16. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At 5000 miles I paid for the oil and filter change. Then let Toyota Care pay since then.

Not going to debate the value of doing it or NOT doing it. I've never owned a new car where I waited as long as 10,000 miles for the first oil change, and I just couldn't do it with The Prius.

17. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A few people have reported success arguing for it at their dealer. Been doing 10k OCI since 2003 when Honda recommended it on a Civic. The 5k mile dealer visit wasn't a total waste for me, I had them turn off the reverse beep. 2 years later, I'm still pissed the service advisor said he can't turn off the reverse beep. Then while I'm gathering the strength to argue, he says he can do one beep. Jerk.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i got the 'we can't do it at 5,000' too. told him thanks, i'll go to another dealer. got the 'wait, let me talk to my service adviser'. :rolleyes: then came back with the 'okay, we can do it'. not too happy about it though. must be like working at the dmv, a lot of grumpy people.

19. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was planning just to replace filter after 1,000mi.. bought filter but could not get the filter off the car. Whomever put it on in factory must have really strong gorilla grip as my oil filter wrench (socket type btw) end up rounding filter off. I suppose I could have punched screw driver through the filter and got it off, but.. let them deal with it at 10K.

The main reason I brought Prissy to dealer to get alignment checked. And they did a good job with it, so I won't complain.

BTW both front wheels were toed-in more then 1/2" from the factory.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is that a bad thing?