1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is packacge #6 really worth the extra $$ over package #4?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by VoicesInMyHead, May 30, 2005.

1. VoicesInMyHead

VoicesInMyHead New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My wife and I are trying to decide between package #4 and package #6. VSC and curtain airbags are important to us, which make #4 a good choice. Of course, there are plenty more package #6'es around, which makes them tempting because they're readily available.

But, is DVD navigation and a CD changer plus cassette really worth that much more?

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    not imho. if you have a laptop, for about $200 you can get GPS nav that will cost you much less to upgrade than the Toyota nav DVD. also, i dont know how much you are into music, but the standard stereo is sufficient for most needs.

also you will find that, although not as important, a much cooler addition on #4 is the Smart start system

3. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Don't know. NAV can raise your blood pressure when it lies to you, but can also be right as rain a moment later. Stereo is OK. Bluetooth is neat, and works acceptably with a few startup hitches occasionally.

Resale value might not be higher, so if you can get whatever you want, get what your budget tells you is best. When I got mine it was rough getting anything, and a #8 (NAV but no side airbags) was more of a dream than an option so I had to settle...

4. Bluebell

Bluebell New Member

Re: Is packacge #6 really worth the extra $$ over package #4

One thing that confuses me...

We just bought our Prius, and we tried to get package 6. The dealer told us that "they don't have those packages anymore." Instead, we had three options that were labelled AG, AM, and some other acronym. Since the AM package worked well for us, we took it but does anyone know why we were told they no longer do the numbered packages?

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

That is definitely a personal choice.

On our test drive, my wife couldn’t wait to shut the NavLady up!

Neither of us saw a NEED for the Nav, or the better stereo, or the BlueTooth. So for us, waiting a little longer for the #4 (AM) “Safety Model†with VSC, HID, FOG, and Side Airbags was worth the wait . . . then we waited an extra week for a Salsa!

Some with a BC model would feel disoriented in a less equipt Prii.

6. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    they do.. your dealer lied to you. package 6 would be BC

7. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Dealer Speak: "they don't have those packages anymore."

Translation: Toyota still makes the BC package (the fully loaded one), but we don’t have one in inventory. We aren’t going to exert any unnecessary effort because we can pressure you to buy another Prius we do have on our lot and make the sales commission today.

P.S. Nice car! Tell me it is a Salsa and I will tell you . . . REALLY NICE CAR!!!

8. Bluebell

Bluebell New Member

So why did they stop calling it Package 6 and start calling it BC?

ps... we didn't buy the Salsa Red. Since we already had the name Bluebell, it only seemed proper to get the Seaside Pearl. I don't want my poor car getting any more confused than necessary... after all it has to drive on the Beltway, that's confusing enough.

9. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

The “BC†was a #9 in 2004 and #6 in 2005 . . . How is that for confusing.

Your sales person was just blowing smoke . . . or smoking something . . . or had been for a long time and is brain fried.

Toyota still makes it and calls it a #6 (BC).

Bluebell . . . my bad . . . I guess I just didn’t get the “blue†part of it. :oops:

10. chrism07924

chrism07924 New Member

Nothing quite like the feeling of being lost, buying a map at some out of the way gas station, and finding a place on your own. A lost art...

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    lol... a "lost art".... funny

12. Jayhawkguy

Jayhawkguy New Member

I'm still waiting for my car to come in, but my dealer has been nice enough to allow me to come & visit a Prius with #4 & one with #6 because I couldn't decide. I found the stereo with #4 too basic. The #6 stereo was MUCH better in my opinion. I also admit that the gadgetry with Bluetooth & Nav make the high-tech car even more exciting.

13. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

[font=Comic Sans MS:aeaa55055a]IMHO, #6/BC is the way to go if you can afford it. The Prius is the smartest car on the road, and the BC is the smartest Prius...[/font:aeaa55055a]

14. Prius Noir

Prius Noir New Member

Had NAV (Bubbles) set to locate a distant gym for my daughter's basketball game. Got stuck in the HOV lane and missed the correct off ramp by three and also ended up transferring to another freeway. If I followed my instinct I would have gotten back on at the wrong entrance and probably proceeded onto the wrong freeway again. NAV led me to the more convoluted yet correct re-route and got me to the gym with time to spare.

The #6 BC is not a necessity but it is a nice luxury and convenience. Negotiate for #4. Once a price is agreed upon, see what you can get for a #6. If you can't get a good deal go with the original #4 offer.

15. Emilyjohn

Emilyjohn New Member

Bluebell, you've gotten excellent feedback from all on this topic. Go to Prius.com. Here in the Northeast it will list the packages and their cost. Packages #4 and #6 are listed prominently. As has been said previously, the dealer lied to you. I would avoid that dealer...

16. bobc

bobc New Member

Voices,

Yep, it's a personal decision and it really centers around the nav feature and cassette player and weighing the benefits of these two versus the cost.

There's a ton of complaints about the stereo in the Prius. Why spend more $$ on the JBL system when you can get an as equally poor stereo (base model) in the AM package? With the base stereo, you have more flexibility in upgrading it. The JBL system has an integrated amplifier, which you lose features if you were to replace it.

If you buy the AM, you can add on the 6 CD changer for $450.

17. AngelFish

AngelFish New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you can afford the #6 - I'd get it. Both our priuses are the BC package... For us, there was no question. Here in SoCal - it is great to have the Nav system. The combo of GPS & XMtraffic, I can find ways around almost any traffic issues.

What you could do, if you are still unsure, is put in for a 4 or 6 whichever comes in 1st - take it.

18. SDiego

SDiego New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I just picked up a pkg 6 last sunday and love it. I have Xm in another car, but dont know where to put the display unit for the xm in the prius?

19. AngelFish

AngelFish New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you get the XM radio that is specifically designed for the Prius, you don't have to worry about that. It plugs into the back of your existing radio (you have to take the dash apart, but it is SO easy to do.) Then you can control it from the wheel controls (the order is: AM - XM1 - XM2 - XM3 - FM1 - FM2 - CD)

20. SDiego

SDiego New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I just don't feel comforable in doing so. I Know Coastal tech sells them, but does anyone know where here in S. Calif that installs them? I am here in San Diego

Ron