1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is plastic tub above spare a thermoplastic?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Robert Holt, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Anyone know if the black plastic tub just above the spare tire is a thermoplastic, and if so about how high the melting temperature is?
    I have purchased a spare black plastic tub and will attempt to reform it to accommodate a full-sized spare where the high pressure donut is normally located. Knowing the working temperature of,the plastic would help but I will otherwise do trial and error, but as I paid $75 for the tub I would rather not needlessly ruin it.
    Thanks in advance for any info!

2. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The spare tire tubs are made of expanded polystyrene plastic, which means that it is a heat formable thermo plastic.

It will start to soften at the 150-160 degrees Fahrenheit range and slump at the 300 degree range.

Redpoint5 and Robert Holt like this.
  3. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The wide black plastic pan above the spare tire of my 2011 is labeled >PP-TD10< , meaning polypropylene that's 10% talc-filled. Polypropylene is a very common thermoplastic.

The white pad under the spare tire is expanded polystyrene (the stuff commonly called "styrofoam.")

Robert Holt likes this.
  4. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Still, the working temperatures are the same. Paper and natural leather is more resistant to heat deformation than plastics. The only high temperature working plastic is PEEK, which is very expensive.

5. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Found "PPTD10" on the underside of the pan after I inverted it for cleaning. Side question: why 10% talc fill? Does talc alter any significant property or is it just a cheap filler?
    To fit the full sized spare the white styrofoam pad under the donut will be discarded shortly.
    Does melting polypropylene out gas anything noxious?
    Weather has improved here so I can do it outside, but controlling the reforming process might be easier if done indoors. Unfortunately I do not own a respirator, so the noxious gas issue is pertinent.

6. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Talc increases the bulk and rigidity of the polypropylene.

Polypropylene won't outgas noxious fumes unless it is burnt. Under 400 degrees, there should be almost NO fumes.