1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Prius Becoming Just Another Car? (sigh)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by paprius4030, May 14, 2010.

1. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well it finally happened today, talked to another Gen3 Prius owner who thought his car, was just ok. Since 2004 when I got my first Prius, part of the ownership fun, was running into and talking to other Prius owners about our cars. Without fail the other person was just as excited and happy about their car as you were with yours. Well today I followed another 2010 Prius into a parking lot at the hospital, where I was going to visit a friend. We parked next to each other and we started walking toward the entrance and I asked him how he liked his Prius. He said it was just ok that it didn't have the amount of power he was used to. Well what a let down LOL. I didn't think you bought a Prius for power, even though I think it has PLENT of zip. Sorta like a Vette owner complaining about the mpg's he's getting. So I got to thinking, is the Prius slowly just becoming another car now that it's been around for awhile now?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is a good thing. I know it doesn't feel that way when you are an early adopter, but having the Prius be "Just Another Car" means that normal people are buying them and helping save the planet. Hybrid technology is becoming mainstream.

Take a deep breath and smile. :)

Tom

2 people like this.
  3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's inevitable as hybrids become more mainstreamed and the new body styling appeals to a greater number of customers.

4. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nothing wrong with that. I'd rather not get any attention.

5. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No longer just early adopters. More mainstream. A good thing.

Wanna be an early adopter again? Get a Leaf. ;)

Yesterday, stopped at a traffic light, there were 3 of us in a row (my 2010, and 2 Gen IIs). Around here, you can't throw a rock without hitting one.

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's confirmation of Prius becoming mainsteam.

In fact, that's been the point all along.

It's just another so-called "boring" family mover like Camry, a profitable top-seller so common it becomes part of the roadscape.

Also, this is a nice benefit for the upcoming plug-in model. It will just be looked upon as a new high-end package option rather than an entirely new concept.

7. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Be careful. There are people on ths site who like to bash Prius drivers because they say we are not doing enough to help "save" the planet. They say we are part of the problem because our cars use gas and oil. I guess they won't be happy unless we are living in a cave using only bicycles for transportation.

8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's the definition of "mainstream".

I would say this much though. Since I spent over a year researching Hybrids and Prius. As a non-Hybrid owner there is a psychology that can apply itself. That is when you research a hybrid, be it Prius, Fusion or Insight, you get a lot of information thrown at you. Hybrid operation and ownership IS a different experience than the common ICE ownership experience, there are obvious differences in technology and mechanics employed from model to model and brand to brand.

However it's a double edged sword. While the ultimate goal of Hybrids is to offer greater gas mileage and far cleaner emissions and Prius especially does that very, very well. Toyota as an automaker has been trying to mainstream (sell as many as possible) The Prius, thus it is simultaneously designed to behave as much as possible like a "regular" automobile.

So in the past year or so, as a newbie that was researching Prius and Hybrids I know that there is a "disappointing" aspect that can rear it's ugly head. That is when you read how "different" Prius and Hybrids are to drive and own, but then test drive and realize how much the "same" it actually is.

Yes Hybrids employ electric motors, batteries and other technology to reach desired and noble goals of auto operation BUT in current incarnation they do operate a majority of the time as mostly an vehicle that is still firing an engine regardless of how that engine is timed and or tied to other technologies. And I think if you are a novice, and expecting an entirely different experience, finding out that The Prius can and is actually designed to behave and offer as "standard" a driving feel as possible can actually be a little disappointing.

So Prius sometimes can become a victim of it's own design success.

I think as the world changes and evolves someday (I might not even live to see it) but someday the entire expectation of what a vehicle is, and how it should behave will change. But right now, The Prius is part mainstream Chameleon. A machine designed to be different, while simultaneously being designed to behave as much as possible like what is the accepted norm.

9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Mainstream means "do not understand or care how it works"

NO geeking out, please. Talk about cost, convenience, looks.

10. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No I disagree. Somethings, lot's of things are and can be mainstream and it doesn't mean people don't care or understand how they work.

Mainstream denotes a level of popularity and useage and acceptance...and familiarity but IMO actually often has little to do with cost, convience or looks.....

11. dmvp

dmvp Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Dictionary definition of Mainstream:

mainstream |ˈmānˌstrēm|
    noun ( the mainstream)
    the ideas, attitudes, or activities that are regarded as normal or conventional; the dominant trend in opinion, fashion, or the arts : companies that are bringing computers to the mainstream of American life.

12. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think those who find the Prius boring probably don't see its true value and innovation. Also, the new 1,2,3,4,5 option lists make the more technologically interesting cars the two highest priced models. Not everyone can afford them, and Toyota makes you buy them to get many options other car makers put on lower priced cars, things like better looking wheels, fog lights, etc.
    Incidentally what model did he have of the Prius that prompted his lackluster response ?

13. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeh, but you probably got that definition out of one of those Rebel, Outsider....fringe Dictionaries...

14. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    On Long Island, Priuses are everywhere. I see hundreds a day. When I bought my 2005, I would see one or two a week. The more Priuses out there, the fewer SUVs, and that's a very good thing.

15. Tom Banjo

Tom Banjo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I saw the same barcelona red prius as mine today, with the same color combination HOV lane sticker in the same place on the lower rear window today on I95. An exact clone of my car. I thought it was pretty cool. What is even cooler is that the more small cars are out there, the safer we all are.

As cars like the Prius become more mainstream, other cars will follow the trend. Hopefully the day of the single person driving a Hummer around town for errands getting 10 mpg is gone.

16. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I don't know what model he had. You can't really tell buy looking can you? At least the Gen 2 you know if it was a package 2 but the fog lights missing. I'm not sure about the Gen.3. It seems most of the new ones don't have fog lights?

17. GWhizzer

GWhizzer not so Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Huh? I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion. Frankly I don't think my 2010 is lacking in power at all. I don't have any trouble off the line or when passing when I need it due to the plentiful torque of the electrics. In fact, I get a lot of surprised reactions from my passengers when I step on it and easily beat many other (expected) sportier cars off the line. Perhaps they might beat me 0-60, but how often do I race 0-60? Never. How often do I need a little punch off the line? Frequently.

18. Jolly Paul

Jolly Paul Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wasn't that in the bible someplace? :angel:

19. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Of course the Prius is just another car. I drive a truck when I need to carry a heavy load, a 4-wheel drive for off-roading and our Prius for economy. The Prius fills a unique niche that I commonly encounter, although no one car fits all of my varied transportation, hauling and recreation needs. I love our Prius and the efficiency that she provides, but I'll pick our 1964 Series IIa Land Rover for safaris in the California outback.