1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Prius C re-badged Auris HSD Hybrid?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by cyclopathic, May 3, 2011.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is Prius C re-badged face lift Auris HSD Hybrid?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like there is more room in the back in the Auris. Don't know what the exact specs are on the Auris but from the photos, the c has a more pronounced slope in the hood as well as a more teardrop shape towards the back. It also looks like the c is skinnier.

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think you might be onto something there. One thing I'd add is that the Auris is a hatchback only and I believe Americans prefer saloons or do you call them sedans? I guess it wouldn't take much to add a boot/trunk to the rear though.

I suppose it makes sense to rename the Auris HSD a Prius C in the US as Americans seem to associate hybrids with the Prius and just releasing the Auris in hybrid only mode in the US wouldn't make sense.

The hard work in design has already been done, the mechanics/hybrid are virtually identical to the Prius so US emissions compliance shouldn't be an issue. The crash tests are also pretty similar too and the Auris HSD gets a 5 star EuroNcap result.

4. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I thought the Auris was the platform used for the Lexus HS. I remember reading that when the HS first came out.

5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I read somewhere Toyota research showed "Prius" brand name recognition in US, they were even considering branding it similar way as Scion. Releasing multiple Priuses would be a logical step in that direction.

Auris is completely unheard of in US, so you will have to spend a fortune advertising it. It is US Corolla, right? If it is you would not get much excitement with hybrid Corolla.

Interesting to see if they just made sheet metal cosmetic changes to Auris and intend to produce 2 different products, or it is next generation and Euro will get an update too next year.

Honda for example did both they sell the same car as Fit in US and Jazz everywhere else. US Honda Accord is different from Euro, but Euro Accord is sold in US under Acura brand.

6. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "Acura" was just a name and marketing organization for North Americans who need a different brand name to tell them they are buying a higher end car. It's also in China now.

Some of the name differences I don't get. When Honda started importing the Jazz, the car was completely new to the US and Fit wasn't an existing Honda name in the US either.

Another one is the VW Golf vs Rabbit.

7. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Prius C is more of Yaris size than Auris....

it is definitely not an re-badge of any of these cars.

8. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Agreed

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope, otherwise why would they make a completely new car? Also, the Prius c is expected to be two classes smaller than the Prius (i.e.a subcompact). It's possible that we'll get the Prius c in lieu of the Yaris Hybrid that the rest of the world gets.

Lastly, the Auris is essentially a Corolla hatchback.

Actually, it's called the Fit in Japan as well.

The US Accord is sold as the Honda Inspire in Japan. The TL as the Vigor and the RL as the Legend.

10. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

I think Prius C will be between Yaris and Auris in the same way Prius is between Corolla and Camry.

It has worked for them in the past... with added room they can sell it as higher class vehicle and justify the price.