1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Prius Past It's Prime?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by fillerup, Nov 2, 2005.

1. fillerup

fillerup New Member

Is it just me or does the Prius body appear dated to anyone else?

I understand it still has that hybrid look, (and initially, I loved its uniqueness), but its look is wearing thin for me. Maybe because I see so many nowadays.

Also, I was thinking that when the Camry Hybrid comes out, Prius sales will probably greatly decline. For a little less mpg's, families will be able to buy into the Camry name, size and mystique--and probably for less money, too.

The Prius, at least in this market, is in danger of becoming a redundancy. The Camry is likely to swallow it up.

2. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ;) OUTDATED? I hardly think so.!!

We buy cars new and drive them "until the wheels fall off." I expect to put well over 100,000 miles on my Prius and, in the Toyota tradition, without significant repair costs. I have virtually no concern with what others think of my car's "style."

The US auto industry has long promoted the idea of "updating the style" every year or so to promote ongoing sales. This philosophy seems to have contributed to lowering quality standards "since the car will be traded within a year or two" and long-term quality is not necessary. One of the first imports which did not adhere to this philosophy was the original Volkswagen "BUG." For many years, the only changes in the BUG were improvements, not just changes.

3. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

Unlikely. The Camry won't be a hatchback, which will continue to appeal to people.

The Camry should be able to get mileage in the 40s, but still not quite to the level of the Prius.

I seem to remember an article a few months back saying that people liked the idea of the hybrid car, but that what really sold the Prius was the unique look that was distinctively hybrid. If that's the case, it's not likely to go away.

The Prius, in my mind, is a testbed for the most exotic technologies that Toyota is cooking up. Hybrid, bluetooth, nav, reverse camera, and even self park! It's truly a car for the early adopter and I'm sure Toyota won't forget about us early adopters. They'll continue to use the Prius to showcase new technologies.

4. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Since the Prius cost is in the middle range of various Camry trim levels, the Camry Hybrid will probably cost more. Another factor is which trim levels will actually have the hybrid option. This may push the cost to get a Camry Hybrid even higher if it is only an option on the XLE.

5. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree 100%. The biggest selling point for me was the hatchback. Then the Nav system. 2 things the HCH didn't have. I know love all the other extras (cool storage areas, SKS, VCS..etc)

The real question - how many of the extra luxury features (SKS, NAV) will be available in the Camry? Can you get a Camry today with NAV?

And as far as looks - I've never thought the Prius was a great looking car. Unique, yes. Acceptable to me yes. But, there are a lot more cars I prefer the looks to. My reason for buying though was purely fuel efficiency - and it met all my other needs as well.

6. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Definitely my motivation as well. I didn't realize that the Camry had "mystique". I've always considered it just another midsize sedan. Then again, I've never driven one.

7. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I remember reading an article where they said you got a Prius in order to make a statement and a car that's been converted to be a hybrid (such as the Honda Civic, Accord or even the upcoming Camry) in order to "fit in."

Personally I like the fact that the Prius was designed ground up to be a hybrid, not just a conversion.

8. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yes, you can get the Camry with Nav. No bluetooth, no sks (yet).

Nate

9. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I never liked a Camry and without the Prius would never have even considered buying a Toyota.
    The Camry would be a step back 40 years.

10. Traanya Drinker

Traanya Drinker New Member

The Camry should be able to get mileage in the 40s, but still not quite to the level of the Prius.

If they could get the MPG into the 40s, I bet the Camry would set a new standard for waiting list/times! Toyota would never be able to keep up with the demand. However, I heard that they are offering the hybrid Camry only with a 6 cylinder, so there goes the chance of getting over 40 mpg. I think 28 to 34 will be more realistic.

11. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you take a block of paraffin and place it in a moving fluid (air, water), it will assume a fusiform shape - the shape that offers the least resistance to the fluid. Toyota engineers aimed for a fusiform shape, within the limits of a vehicle with wheels, tires, glass, hood, trunk, etc. Striving to make cars "slipperier" is a major reason passenger vehicles are difficult to differentiate. These "soap" cars (carved from a bar of soap) can't help but take on similar shape. No fins, windshield hoods or big blocky fronts.

All vehicles, cars and tractor trailers, must increasingly offer less wind resistance to increase fuel economy (no matter if the energy source is renewable electric, fossil fuel or pedal power). We will continue to see vehicles evolve, including Prius, to further refine decreasing wind resistance. It is not a matter of style, but one of fuel economy, sustainability and minimum emissions. Even a pure electric vehicle that derives power from photovoltaic panels, still generates particulate matter (PM 2.5) and contributes to decreased air quality, as the wheels roll along.

Even my very light mass carbon fiber frame Trek 5200 bicycle (designed to be relatively aerodynamic) picks up micro stones and particulate matter as I pedal along. The spokes, frame, pedals, handle and aero bars, brakes and shifters, as well as my position on the bicycle have been wind tunnel tested and designed to minimize wind resistance. The water bottle cages and seat are all designed to be light mass with minimal wind resistance.

It is the same with automobiles: form follows function. You can immediately recognize a wasteful fuel guzzler: blocky, highly resistant to wind, oversized with little or no concern for fuel economy, emissions, difficult to park and high maintenance. Prius provides a solid foundation that will only get better, more efficient and more reliable.

12. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sounds like it's main competition would come from the Accord hybrid in that case. Accord get's what, 30 city and 37 hwy? Was it (Camry hybrid) designed in reaction to the Accord or is it just a logical development of Toyota's hybrid investment?

13. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Sounds like that ol' honeymoon glow is over for ya, fillerup!

But now you've got that substantial wife, who'll be there every day for you, while others will still be out whoring around.

The Prius still looks "distinctive" to me, but over the last several years, other manufacturers have been aping Toyota's overall trends, especially headlight/front end treatment.

Toyota has probably already made the styling decisions re: whether to make the "next Gen" Prius look more conventional---or even less! That'll be interesting.
    I hope they still opt for "less".

14. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Do you have their phone numbers? ;) :D

15. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    No, tripp, the Camry hybrid was planned as Toyota's next logical step in hybridizing most of their line (note the "Hybrid City" on the new Japanese website).

I think, strictly logically, the Estima van WOULD have been next in the U.S. market, especially since it had already been "road-tested" in Japan, except for two things: SUVs are hotter than minivans here, and, more importantly, Estima sales certainly would come at the expense of Sienna sales in the U.S. Toyota just spent a lot of money to catch up with (and some have said surpass) the Odyssey in the U.S. market. They know full well they'd sell a lot of Estimas here, but if you were them, what would you do?

You can bet the Camry Hybrid's EPA numbers will come in at just above the Accord's---probably 41-42 MPG.

As for when/whether Toyota will hybridize the Corolla, long the company's "flagship" until now, that's what interests me. For market-share considerations, my guess is they won't. Might be the Yaris instead.

16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would still like the Prius for what it is, even if it were ugly. (No, I don't say the same thing to my wife) OK, so it's not a stunning looker on par with a Jaguar E Type coupe, but it's nowhere near ugly. Or outdated. I'm sure Toyota will carefully position the Prius with its other models, and I can't imagine it being dropped any time soon.

17. soboy

soboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    IMHO, the Prius is not only very modern in its appearance, but I find its aerodynamic styling to be quite attractive. The exterior has subtle detailing that makes it interesting - the shape of the side quarter window, the double bubble roof (a la Lancia), the second rear window under the spoiler, the gentle curving of the rear fender into the bumper, the pointed front end - these are all nice design details.

18. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No offense, Skruse, but the design of your bicycle is over 100 years old. If it were truly designed to minimise wind resistance, it would look more like a recumbent with a fairing, and less like a 1897 Rover Safety Cycle. It might be more comfortable, too.

19. Seaside Harry

Seaside Harry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hybrid look, yes...dated, no. I started considering a hybrid purchase a year-and-a-half ago. At first, I mentally dismissed the Insight and Prius as being too "electric-car" looking. I liked how the Civic hybid kept that mainstream car appearance and I looked forward to the introduction of the hybrid Accord, which was closer to the size car I wanted.

Once I really started doing the research and compared the gas milage vs. performance & features, the Prius started looking more and more attractive. For me, the deal was sealed when it became apparent that the new Accord was designed to maximize performance per gallon instead of miles per gallon. It looks like the Camry hybrid will be similar. I'm hoping that as long as there are consumers like me who care more about fuel economy and reduced emissions than stomp-on-the-pedal performance, there will continue to be strong demand for a car like the Prius.

I just don't see the "Camry mystique" killing the Prius. There aren't a lot of reasonably priced cars out there right now that enjoy the same demand, owner satisfaction, and overall caché as the Prius, so it is building quite a mystique of its own. Since we bought ours, I can't help but notice that Toyota's TV ads never quote a price on the Prius--just the fuel economy. Toyota's end-of-year clearance ads never even mention the Prius and why should they, since the car sells itself--even at full MSRP or greater. I expect to buy another car within three years and based on the trends I'm seeing, I'd be very surprised if the Prius didn't remain at the top of my shopping list.

20. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :) Call me old but In my humble opinion, the best looking cars came in the late 60s and early 70s. I'm particularly fond of the Mopar products. Take a Cuda or Challenger perhaps a Charger or even a Road Runner. I must not be the only one who feels this way... Just look at restored muscle car prices. The last Cuda 340 six pack hardtop restoration sale was over 125,000 $. Wow! Good return on your original 3500 $ investment.
    The prius can't compare in looks but it does not want to. It competes by being the most fuel efficient car on the road. 40 years from now, will people be buying old rusted hulk prius's and lovingly restoring them? I doubt it, but it does not prevent me from buying one. My priorities have changed. I want less flash and more substance. However, to keep me young and still with some flash, I have an orange 1970 455 Ram Air GTO in the garage.
    -Paul R. Haller- :rolleyes: