1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is Prius two(of four) a loser?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by arniesalsared, Jul 15, 2007.

1. arniesalsared

arniesalsared Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We now have 4 Prius vehicles in the family! Mine is an 04/50K, the wife's is an 06/15K and two grown daughters with new (almost) 07's. I have always looked at 49 to 50 MPG, in my 04, except for the usual odd temperatures, tire pressures, driver habits,etc that we have all learned about on these forums in the last 3 or 4 years. The two 07's also are in the just below 50 MPG range.

Unfortunately the wife's 06 continues to baffle me, no matter what we do it stays in the 43 to 44 range during all seasons and types of trips. This is verified over many dozens of filling calculations and the average on the MFD seems almost stuck at 44.3 +/- 0.1?? Thought it might have been her heavy foot, but the same when I drive or when we take identical, in formation, trips up to 260 miles in some cases. Tire pressures identical, same fuel, no overfill on oil changes, tires wearing evenly, no error codes, etc.

The dealer of course stonewalled and we finally got the regional tech to look at it. He couldn't find any problems and says they can't do anything.

Recently checked the rear brakes for drum temp after a few miles and they are cool. Will check down a hill one of these days side by side with the 04 to see if any drag difference, but I doubt it.

I would think that the almost constant MFD average would be a clue for an experienced trouble shooter. Surely this is not the first time this has been observed. Any suggestions either for a solution or how to get attention from Toyota?

Help!! Arnie :angry:

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    She doesn't have the underneath cargo storage area filled with bricks, does she?

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Try trading cars for a while. That should eliminate or verify the driver issue.

Tom

4. chuck_k

chuck_k New Member

Specifically, if I were you, I would take the time and effort to have one of you--probably you--be in charge of all fueling and maintenance of the cars, at least for the duration of the experiment to try to get to the bottom of this.

Go to one single gas station, and go to one single pump at that station. See what the two cars show then. Gasoline can easily mean the difference between bad and good mileage.

5. arniesalsared

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chuck_k @ Jul 15 2007, 02:30 PM) [snapback]479187[/snapback]</div>

Thanks for the input. However, we've pretty well eliminated the driver and fuel issues. We do go to the same station almost always and have traded cars many times. As stated tire pressure and all variables that I know of have been normalized.?? I still think the solution relates to the almost constant average on the MFD.

6. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Arnie,

Just to be complete. You know the 04/05's automatically reset the MFD mileage at fillup. The 06 and newer cars require you to hit RESET on the MFD when you fillup to get mileage for that tank. Otherwise you get the mileage for the car since the computer was last rebooted (12 v battery disconnected I believe). Most likely in your wife's car, that means that mileage on the MFD is the average since the car was delivered to your wife.

7. arniesalsared

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donee @ Jul 15 2007, 03:05 PM) [snapback]479204[/snapback]</div>
    Donee: And here I thought I was such an expert after all these years. You're right, I think she only manually reset it once or twice, thanks to me. OK, I give up on that clue, but we still have the basic low MPG problem. Now the front end has not been aligned, but I assume that the even tire wear would rule that out, I hope.\

Thanks for the education,
    Arnie

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Given two cars with different performance, I would approach this problem by:
    1. drag measurement - use a gentle slope onto to a flat to measure how far both cars roll from a dead stop in "N".
    2. ICE efficiency - more difficult, this requires instrumentation to evaluate the specific fuel consumption. You'll need a scangage or equivalent.
    3. total energy monitoring - a bit advanced, this requires adding instrumentation to measure AC compressor and 12VDC accessory loads. Clamp-on current sensors and a data recording computer would be needed.
    The first test, a hill roll test, is pretty straight forward if you can ensure both cars are at similar starting temperatures. You'll need several runs with both cars making sure the starting temperatures are identical:

[​IMG]

If you do an operational temperature test, try to have both cars run about 20 minutes following the same protocol before the test. My data suggests it takes about 20 minutes before the transaxle oil reaches a stable temperature value. Of course, you could also get a four-wheel alignment test for each car.

Measuring ICE specific fuel consumption is a little more involved. You'll need instrumentation to read: (1) MG1 torque, ICE rpm and either air grams/sec or injector timing. With the first two elements, you can calculate the ICE output power and times the time interval, the Joules. Then using either air grams/second or ICE rpm and injector timing, the fuel consumed. This allows you to measure how much energy you are getting per unit fuel:
    [​IMG]

However, if you have identical hill roll and alignment test results and no instrumentation, the alternative is to run a maximum acceleration test. The protocol is a lot of fun:
    1. Warm-up each car with a 20 minute drive and full tank. Identical vehicle weight with payload and passengers is important and getting the cars weighed would be recommended.
    2. On the shoulder, hold down the brake and floor the accelerator to force-charge the ICE. Hold this until the battery is at max. A flat section of highway with little traffic is recommended.
    3. With no traffic around, pull onto the road, hold the brake and floor the accelerator.
    4. With a stop-watch, release the brake and measure the time to a high speed. Alternatively, mark the speed at a given reference.
    5. Re-run the test at least three times, the same way, with each car to see if one vehicle lags the other.
    If the drag and ICE tests show the cars are functionally identical, the only thing left is to find out what else may be draining energy. This requires a lot more instrumentation and we can discuss this after the simpler tests.

Bob Wilson

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Gas both up.

Reset both.

Then trade for an entire tank. Let no one else drive that car for an entire tank.

Then see where you are.

Then you're looking at not only driving style but also where you drive. Does your wife do more short runs? Does she drive more hills? More freeway driving?

10. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ Jul 15 2007, 04:54 PM) [snapback]479321[/snapback]</div>
    I was thinking wheel alignment, front and rear. If this is the problem, then it should show up in Bob's drag measurement test. Once you observe that the 06 does have more drag, you can take it to a frame and alignment shop and ask them to inspect the front and rear alignment, brakes or anything else that might have an influence on drag.

I am assuming that the four Prii all have similar stock rims and tires. If the 06 has upgrade tires and/or rims, that could be the root of the problem.

11. arniesalsared

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bob:

Thats quite a mouthfull to absorb in one bite. Thanks for the input. I will try the rolling and acceleration tests. Don't quite understand the graph and the blue and red lines. What is the axis labeled yM and how is the curve used? Also what are the stacked numbers on the overhead layout?

Do think alignment is an issue if the tires are wearing evenly in 15,000 miles?

It's only 109F today in Phoenix, but what I want to know is, are you going to send me a bill for your consulting and test planning services? :p

Cheers, Arnie

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(arniesalsared @ Jul 15 2007, 07:18 PM) [snapback]479327[/snapback]</div>
    Start with the rolling test first. It is amazing how alignment issues can show up.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(arniesalsared @ Jul 15 2007, 07:18 PM) [snapback]479327[/snapback]</div>
    That chart is from my rolling hill test. I was comparing the original transaxle oil performance versus a fresh change. I was also testing the impact of cold weather on rolling drag with the only change being the transaxle oil.
    If you are using a micrometer or caliper to measure the tread depth, I would be interest in the numbers. My experience has been that without accurate measurements, it is too difficult to really tell.
    I'm interested in your results, payment enough. <grins>

Bob Wilson

13. pviebey

pviebey New Member

I can see quite a bit of difference if my tire pressures are low. I'm sure that's been checked, but you might also want to see if they're the same on both. Hey, get froggy and swap tires while you're there...