1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is replacing the 'engine water pump' a fairly simple home fix, or should it be done by the dealer?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ski.dive, Sep 30, 2024 at 2:38 PM.

1. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Is replacing the engine water pump a fairly simple home fix, or should it be done by the dealer?

Attached Files:

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    $54 for the pump, $25 for a gallon of coolant, and an hour at home. Toss in a new drive belt if you're feeling frisky.

$600 at a dealer.

Videos are usually available on you-tube. If I've never done a specific job before, it's worth checking out beforehand to see if it's in one's wheelhouse.

Not a difficult project, but different strokes for different folks...

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    One of the easier jobs you'll ever do on any car especially a Toyota these pumps are nothing to replace I mean nothing grab your beer and your cigarettes and a 10 mm wrench and a 12 socket and wrench etc and pretty much you have control over the process Not a lot going on here loosen the belt take it off treat it to a new gates belt since you're wasting the time putting on a new pump might as well undo the bolts and or any nut Hit the pump with your long keystone screwdriver or a small pry bar and flick it right off if it was Toyota original the gasket should be attached to the back of the pump and you should be able to look down with a mirror at your surface on the block or cover and it is clean run a piece of crocus cloth around it just to be absolutely certain everything is nice apply the new pump I like to use red gasket spray but that's a personal problem reapply all the nuts and or bolts. You can do it almost as fast as you say it

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Depends on your DIY skills. As far as nuts and bolts go, it doesn't get much easier.

However, you have to clean the gasket surface, tighten the mounting bolts (without breaking them), then refill the cooling system and bleed all the air out (without overheating).

Simple, for someone with that level of experience.

I second replacing the belt (& the tensioner pulley) while you're in there.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have change the water pump from bottom (difficult) and the top (easy). As long as you have short and longer sockets it is pretty straight forward. Make sure you clean thoroughly the matting surface and do not drop any bolts in the engine bay. For some reason they disappear.